cool electric scooter

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:35 pm

With a gas vehicle, you can go as far as you want. When you run out of gas, you just fill it up. With batteries, you have to charge them for a few hours. Gas is definitely better if you're going a good distance.

With mopeds and scooters, what I don't understand is how you stay on. You're just sitting there, theres no sideways support. With a motorcycle, you go around a corner and you have bracing between your legs. On a moped, it seems like you'd just slide off the seat.

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:39 pm

Zzebotes13 wrote:thanks limewater. i guess it won't be a problem since police NEVER stop people (or me) from riding bicycles on the sidewalk.
That's a poor indicator. Police often enforce the law based upon how annoying a particular violation is. A bicycle is a lot less annoying than a tiny electric scooter zipping around.

Also, keep in mind that your friends aren't a very good indicator of bicycle law enforcement. It's legal for 12-year-olds to ride bikes on the sidewalk. The police have better things to do than ask pubescent teenagers on bikes how old they are.
Thanks a lot everyone. Now i just have to get my mom's ok to get it 8)
Why did you ask everyone's opinions/advice when you had clearly made up your mind from the beginning?

Zzebotes13

Post by Zzebotes13 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:48 am

First off, for all the people out there who are recommending a moped or motorcycle, if you are capable of reading you'd have seen that my mom feels uneasy with me on why. I asked whether or not you'd think i'd be pulled over. Also i wouldn't be traveling far. It's just a little toy to spend some money on. FYI everyone. I'm almost 16, so don;t treat like I'm a little kid who doesn't know anything. This is mostly directed to limewater. I'm not 12, nor do i look 12. If you read my first post you'd have known that. My mind wasn't already set on buying it. The whole point of this post wasn't to ask for an opinion on whether it's better than a gas scooter (which by the way are ILLEGAL in NY), but rather to see if i could ride this without being stopped by police. Sorry to rant on, but its not okay for people to keep repeating an answer that wasn't asked for. again limewater you don't have to be a tard when answering. 8)
I will always put 8) at the end of my posts

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:19 am

Zzebotes13 wrote:I'm almost 16, so don;t treat like I'm a little kid who doesn't know anything. This is mostly directed to limewater.
Where and how did I do this?

All I did was point out that it is, in fact, illegal to ride those things on the sidewalk and that you're completely at the mercy of whether or not the police will enforce the law on that issue. This is something that you quite clearly DIDN'T know.
I'm not 12, nor do i look 12. If you read my first post you'd have known that.
I did read your first post. I know that you are fifteen. That's why I made the mention of asking pubescent teenagers how old they are. Since you're fifteen, you were very recently fourteen and *gasp* thirteen. You're only three years outside of the legal restricted age. It's barely illegal, sort of like driving 78 mph in a 70 zone. Most police wouldn't pull you over for it. Bicycles also tend to be a lot less annoying to pedestrians.

Also, you might be surprised at how far off people you don't know are in guessing your age. When I was 19, a woman told me she thought I was twelve. Granted, I was holding a balloon at the time, though.
My mind wasn't already set on buying it. The whole point of this post wasn't to ask for an opinion on whether it's better than a gas scooter (which by the way are ILLEGAL in NY), but rather to see if i could ride this without being stopped by police.
Sure gas-powered scooters (of the Vespa variety) are legal. You just can't ride them on parkways, highways, interstates, etc...
Sorry to rant on, but its not okay for people to keep repeating an answer that wasn't asked for.
You asked if you would be pulled over. I said that it was illegal and you likely would get pulled over after a while.

You then said it was legal.
I showed you the regulation where it was illegal.

You said it was OK, they wouldn't enforce it anyway based upon your experience with bicycles.
I attempted to show how this isn't the same thing.

Where am I repeating an answer for which you did not ask? I one of only three people who actually addressed your original question at all.
again limewater you don't have to be a tard when answering. 8)
Name-calling isn't going to do a whole lot to build your case that you should be treated like an adult.

Zzebotes13

Post by Zzebotes13 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:21 am

what i meant by the whole repeating thing is that most people who posted in this thread said to buy a moped/motorcycle. What i mean by gas scooters being illegal were the tiny non vespa/moped scooters that you can either stand, or sit on. This also includes segways which happen to be illegal in NY. Limewater, i'm sorry for the name calling, i was just frustrated with the repetitive responses and i shouldn't have singled you out like that. I apologize again for that. 8)
I will always put 8) at the end of my posts

dman762000

Post by dman762000 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:53 am

Here is a tip about police; a lot of cops are good guys, but all it takes is one jerk to ruin your day, the more cops there are in a town or city the higher a chance of coming across a real a**hole since you are asking about NYC I would say that there are a higher percentage of jerk cops than other places, take a fools advice mod a bicycle to run on electricy or gas and obey the traffic laws appliying to the area you will be in cause if you try to skirt the laws then at one point or another you will run into some jerk having a bad day who will try his hardest to find a reason to shoot you or throw you in juvie