Show off your Computer

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:41 am

cowsgoquack101 wrote:So, can someone please explain to me why Microsoft is a bad company?

I mean if you think they're greedy, yeah they are. But who isn't, Apple? Hell, if they aren't.
Microsoft is a bad company because everything that they make, with the exception of their wireless intellimouses is utter crap. Self destructing OS, self screen cracking zunes, self destructing software like Word and Power point. A great way to put it is in two words, Internet Explorer.

EDIT: THEY EAT BABIES!!!
Last edited by XPCportables on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:24 am

You know, my lappy's Vista install is faster than my XP install after I killed all the unnecessary services & the like, including the sidebar & Defender. I got DDR running in MAME at full speed, something I had to struggle to do in XP.

Thing is, w/ all the services running, you'll need about 2GB for it to run as fast as an XP install. Most of them'll probably go straight to the pagefile, so CPU power I wouldn't worry about when it comes to over half of them.

Still wouldn't recommend Vista unless at least w/ 2GB+, C2D(or similar/better), 100GB. Plus M$ really needs to release a service pack that automatically deletes the temp folder on shutdown & better manages what services should be running. If they did that, they'd be better competing performance-wide w/ OSX.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:30 am

XPCportables wrote:
cowsgoquack101 wrote:So, can someone please explain to me why Microsoft is a bad company?

I mean if you think they're greedy, yeah they are. But who isn't, Apple? Hell, if they aren't.
Microsoft is a bad company because everything that they make, with the exception of their wireless intellimouses is utter crap. Self destructing OS, self screen cracking zunes, self destructing software like Word and Power point. A great way to put it is in two words, Internet Explorer.
Well, maybe I've had a lot better luck than you. Besides IE isn't that bad. I only use it at school when I had to, but firefox isn't that great either...

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:22 am

Felino wrote:How'd you fit a bed in? :shock:

-Fel
:D
I have a bunk bed with a couch.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Kenny_McCormic

Post by Kenny_McCormic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:01 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:Kenny_McCormic

The real Kenny probably has a better computer then you. :lol:
lmao he probably does

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:12 pm

XPCportables wrote:Microsoft is a bad company because everything that they make, with the exception of their wireless intellimouses is utter crap. Self destructing OS, self screen cracking zunes, self destructing software like Word and Power point. A great way to put it is in two words, Internet Explorer.
Is your computer surrounded by Tesla coils or something? :?

Self-destructing OS: I've never seen Windows commit suicide. Windows doesn't kill Windows, people kill Windows.

Self-screen-cracking Zunes: You're right in that the Zune is crap, but you can't blame Microsoft if the screen cracks. (All they do is supply the software and slap their logo on it, just like all the rest of their hardware.) The blame usually lies with the user, or more rarely the assembly plant or the company that manufactured the LCD.

self destructing software like Word and Power point: Again I've never seen Word or Powerpoint kill themselves. Every time I've seen that happen it's because dumb kids installed crapware on the computer (this is at college and in high school, by the way), which messes everything up.

Internet Explorer: Uh... You got me there. :P IE really is utter crap. It's only good for Active Server Pages and downloading another browser.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy but honestly they aren't as bad as people say they are.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:05 pm

The only computer that is worth mentioning is my iMac G3 that I got for 10 dollars. It has a cool sliding cd slot thing that doesn't have a tray, 350 MHz processor, 512 ram, and 37 Gig harddrive. It's got all my music on it which is only 5.63 Gigs and play's all my favorite snes games.

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:22 am

bicostp wrote:
XPCportables wrote:Microsoft is a bad company because everything that they make, with the exception of their wireless intellimouses is utter crap. Self destructing OS, self screen cracking zunes, self destructing software like Word and Power point. A great way to put it is in two words, Internet Explorer.
Is your computer surrounded by Tesla coils or something? :?

Self-destructing OS: I've never seen Windows commit suicide. Windows doesn't kill Windows, people kill Windows.

Self-screen-cracking Zunes: You're right in that the Zune is crap, but you can't blame Microsoft if the screen cracks. (All they do is supply the software and slap their logo on it, just like all the rest of their hardware.) The blame usually lies with the user, or more rarely the assembly plant or the company that manufactured the LCD.

self destructing software like Word and Power point: Again I've never seen Word or Powerpoint kill themselves. Every time I've seen that happen it's because dumb kids installed crapware on the computer (this is at college and in high school, by the way), which messes everything up.

Internet Explorer: Uh... You got me there. :P IE really is utter crap. It's only good for Active Server Pages and downloading another browser.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy but honestly they aren't as bad as people say they are.
My computer is suicidal. Windows has actually destroyed it's self for no aparent reason at least twice. In those two times I didn't even have the thing hooked up to the internet. Tons of Dlls have gotten corrupted causing multiple programs not to work properly. My latest reformat seems to be doing fine, but I am one of the most careful managers of their PC around.

Microsoft word on both of my parent's computers has loads of runtime errors. They are the most paranoid computer users around, they don't download ANYTHING.

The Zune's screens crack because of bed engineering. the case restricts the battery too much and if the battery overcharges, it expands and cracks the screen. This doesn't happen with all zunes, but many of the first generation zunes have this problem.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:23 pm

You don't need to be connected to the internet to kill a computer yourself. What exactly did you install?

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:42 pm

My computer's Vista install booted once, than failed every time after that initial boot. I didn't even get to install a single driver.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:48 pm

Wow I am bad on PC's, but I haven't had much problem with XP yet.

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 pm

atari2600a wrote:You don't need to be connected to the internet to kill a computer yourself. What exactly did you install?
no you don't understand. I did not do this to my computer. I seriously only install the necessities, that being, open office, firefox, daemon tools, Nero, Riva Tuner, Half-Life + expansions and half life 2. other than that, maybe a few games like CoD2 and Quake 4 have made their way onto my computer. No crapware, only trustworthy stuff. I use 7zip to keep all of my archives nice and tidy and reformant when needed. HOW DARE YOU BELITTLE ME WITH YOUR TALKING DOWN TO ME!!! :evil: :)

EDIT: My hard drive is part of my woes, it crashes a lot. I got it used and well, It isn't the greatest. But my computer is not the only suicidal computer I have ever run into. they're everywhere, you just have to look for them.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:43 pm

XPCportables wrote:
atari2600a wrote:You don't need to be connected to the internet to kill a computer yourself. What exactly did you install?
no you don't understand. I did not do this to my computer. I seriously only install the necessities, that being, open office, firefox, daemon tools, Nero, Riva Tuner, Half-Life + expansions and half life 2. other than that, maybe a few games like CoD2 and Quake 4 have made their way onto my computer. No crapware, only trustworthy stuff. I use 7zip to keep all of my archives nice and tidy and reformant when needed. HOW DARE YOU BELITTLE ME WITH YOUR TALKING DOWN TO ME!!! :evil: :)

EDIT: My hard drive is part of my woes, it crashes a lot. I got it used and well, It isn't the greatest. But my computer is not the only suicidal computer I have ever run into. they're everywhere, you just have to look for them.
Sound like you have the computer from Hell. This is how you fix it. Take it into a dark alley. Hit it a few times with a baseball bat. Then get a bunch of fireworksand stick them in the tower to reprogram it. Light the fireworks the begin the reprograming. And to top it off put a few bullets through the CPU to make sure it's fixed.
Last edited by nightwheel on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:46 pm

nightwheel wrote:
XPCportables wrote:

Sound like you have the computer from Hell. This is how you fix it. Take it into a dark alley. Hit it a few times with a baseball bat. Then get a bunch of fireworks to reprogram it. Light the fireworks the begin the reprograming. And to top it off put a few bullets through the CPU to make sure it's fixed.
So thats how they do it :lol:

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:17 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:
nightwheel wrote:
XPCportables wrote:

Sound like you have the computer from Hell. This is how you fix it. Take it into a dark alley. Hit it a few times with a baseball bat. Then get a bunch of fireworks to reprogram it. Light the fireworks the begin the reprograming. And to top it off put a few bullets through the CPU to make sure it's fixed.
So thats how they do it :lol:
Works every time. :wink:
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27