top 5 controllers...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire
top 5 controllers...

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:36 pm

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,390 ... 8-1,00.htm
here is the link.

some of these are just complete crap. the PS2 and atari 2600 controllers dont really deserve a spot in my opinion. I'd think that a NES controller would be on there at least. :?
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue May 22, 2007 1:42 pm

i hate sonys controllers, my favorites would be
wiimote
gamecube
n64

go nintendo!

also what kind of crack are they smoking? since when has beige = white?

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Tue May 22, 2007 1:54 pm

I certainly agree with the 360 controller, but I disagree with all the rest of them to varying degrees.

my favorite ever has to be the Sega Saturn 'batwing' style.
it just felt so right.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue May 22, 2007 1:59 pm

Triton wrote:also what kind of crack are they smoking? since when has beige = white?
Yeah, does that make ipods beige, too?
And whats that crap about Sony controllers being good? Analogs in the middle, just barely got triggers (that are mushy).

My favorites:
Xbox 360/Xbox S (since they're pretty much the same)
N64
Gamecube's are pretty good, too

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue May 22, 2007 2:05 pm

I would agree with you that neither the 2600 nor the Dualshock controllers deserve to be on that list. They seemed to be placing a lot of weight on the importance/influence of the controller on gaming. Surprisingly the 360 controller was on there. Although (unbeknownst to myself and Triton) apparently it is beige???

For the most part, it reminded me of the all time great film lists. If you ever look at those nothing newer than the 60's ever shows up, because apparently nobody has been able to make anything worth a damn in the last 30+ years. It's always about how this movie influenced blah, blah, blah...

So anyway I would pick these 5 off the top of my head in no particular order of preference.

Xbox 360 (Probably the best controller ever made.)
Xbox (Yes, the big fat one.)
SNES (A very versatile controller that fixed the flaws of the NES controller.)
NES Maxx (This controller kicked ass! It had built in turbo buttons and a nice comfortable feel. Once I got one of these, the original NES controllers did little more than collect dust.)
Dreamcast (Probably not a popular choice, but damnit I liked it. Plus, the VMU feature was handy. Especially for calling plays in sports games. Your friend sitting next to you had no idea what was coming!)

grahf

Post by grahf » Tue May 22, 2007 2:08 pm

1] snes
2] gamecube wavebird
3] xbox 360

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Tue May 22, 2007 2:10 pm

I think this is how the list should have been.

1. NES
2. SNES
3. Saturn
4. Xbox 360
5. Dreamcast

Dont you guys think so?

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Tue May 22, 2007 2:19 pm

ValiantVenality wrote:I think this is how the list should have been.

1. NES
2. SNES
3. Saturn
4. Xbox 360
5. Dreamcast

Dont you guys think so?
Saturns came packed with at least 3 different types of controller.
and nes stock controllers were very square--but I agree with your list far more than the published one.

my list would be:
Saturn 'Batwing' style
Neo Geo Controller Pro
xbox 360 wireless
Sega Dreamcast
Bally Astrocade--just for being weird

first party sticks only
Last edited by Reaperman@home on Tue May 22, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue May 22, 2007 2:20 pm

Mine would be:
1. N64
2. GC
3. Snes
4. XBOX 360
5. Wii mote

Yeah N64 on top. Only flaw is the analogue stick getting worn out after some time. But other then that it's brilliant. Perfect control for games like Oot and Goldeneye can only be done with this controller. Just try playing ocarina of time on gamecube. It's good, but not as good as the N64 version.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue May 22, 2007 2:24 pm

No way the PS2 controller should be on there. I mean, it's not BAD, but it's far from incredible. And the Atari controller was a terrible choice, too. I love the games, but the controller on the 2600 frustrates me to no end.

I would agree with SNES and the 360 controller, though; both great advances to gaming controllers. And love it or hate it, I'd throw the Wiimote up there, too. Even if you hate what it does or how it works, it has to be the most comfortable controller I've ever held.

CTFan

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue May 22, 2007 2:27 pm

My top 5:

1. Dual Shock (1 and 2) I know people give Sony a lot of BS because they don't change the controller, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The buttons are all easy to reach, the shoulder buttons are in the right places, and the DS2 had an analog (pressure sensitive) D-Pad and face button set. I must be the only one thinking this but the analog sticks are fine where they are. I mean, I don't have any problem reaching them.

2. Stock 360 controller It's one of the best-built, comfortable game controllers I've used. However it doesn't take the top spot because I don't have a 360.

3. Rectangular NES pad For its time it's a great controller, and none are more durable. (My cousin threw his at the wall, it left a hole in the drywall and still worked like new.)

4. Original PSX Digital controller. It's just like the DualShock but has no analog sticks (which are sorely missed when playing driving games). Don't give me any crap about this because it's nearly the same as the SNES pad which most of you seem to adore.

5. Keyboard and Mouse. I grew up on computer games, not consoles. (My first console was the PSX back in 1997.) Guess what they used? :P (We didn't have any ADB gamepads for the old IIci.) Lots of buttons, and the mouse can be an analog device. It's definitely a "ppor man's way" to game, though. :P
Last edited by bicostp on Tue May 22, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue May 22, 2007 2:31 pm

I'd say Xbox 360, Gamecube, and N64 had the best ones. As for the Wiimote, it's comfortable, but I haven't used it as much as the others, so I'm not as used to it as the others. Also, I haven't played much SNES or Atari 2600. I DEFINITELY agree that the dual shock Playstation design is terrible. I have never been able to stand it. I use my amazing Logitech controller with my PS2.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue May 22, 2007 2:38 pm

bicostp wrote:My top 5:

1. Dual Shock (1 and 2) I know people give Sony a lot of BS because the controller's still the same, but I think it's a comfortable controller. The buttons are all easy to reach, the shoulder buttons are in the right places, and the DS2 had an analog (pressure sensitive) D-Pad and face button set.

2. Stock 360 controller It's one of the best-built, comfortable game controllers I've used. However it doesn't take the top spot because I don't have a 360.

3. Rectangular NES pad For its time it's a great controller, and none are more durable. (My cousin threw his at the wall, it left a hole in the drywall and still worked like new.)

4. Original PSX Digital controller. It's just like the DualShock but has no analog sticks (which are sorely missed when playing driving games). Don't give me any crap about this because it's nearly the same as the SNES pad which most of you seem to adore.

5. Keyboard and Mouse. I grew up on computer games, not consoles. (My first console was the PSX back in 1997.) Guess what they used? :P (We didn't have any ADB gamepads for the old IIci.) Lots of buttons, and the mouse can be an analog device. It's definitely a "ppor man's way" to game, though. :P
All Sony would have had to do to get the Dualshock on my list is move the left analog stick where the D-pad is. This would not be difficult to implement. Otherwise you are correct in that it is not a bad controller overall.

Although I would say that it does feel a bit too small in my hands. It wouldn't hurt for it to be closer in size to say a 360 controller. My hands actually cramp up after any sort of extended gaming on the PS2 for this very reason.

I only have vague memories of the original Playstation controller. Nothing too special about it. Doesn't make it bad, but it wasn't memorable either.

The NES controller was indeed durable. If I had a dime for every time I spiked that thing into the floor I would probably be able to buy a PS3! :lol: Other than that it didn't have a lot going for it.

Never got into PC gaming beyond strategy games so the mouse/keyboard setup doesn't make the cut for me.

Nice list though. I enjoyed the variety. :D

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue May 22, 2007 2:56 pm

Not in any specific Order, but here are my top 5:

Xbox S
Xbox 360
Gamecube
N64
Wii-Mote

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue May 22, 2007 3:20 pm

add to my list the saturn controller (both the batwing and 3d are good) the 3do controller (i have one, it just feels NICE, solid and well made and great buttons etc) keyboard/mouse and the xbox Duke controller, its just massive and sturdy as hell, gamecube 1st party controllers are nigh on indestructable too, ive put mine through hell and it still works like new