Suck it, Microsoft!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

SpongeBuell
Suck it, Microsoft!

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu May 10, 2007 5:51 pm

My friend recently got his 360 stolen, so I joined this place to vent/look for ideas. The 360 got stolen a couple days ago, and my friend is really upset about it. He gave it his own paintjob, and was really proud of this thing. Last night, we learned that whoever has it now has been going online with my friend's account.

This is where things get interesting. You see, I work for the technical support department at the University I go to. I was able to get the MAC address for the xbox, since it was registered to my friend (all devices on our network must be registered in order to be used). I took that number to a guy at work, who was able to look through the latest log files for that MAC address. That MAC hasn't been used since it got stolen, which means one of 2 things: a) The person is off-campus or b) They are using a router. Both situations are entirely possible, though I give a little better chance to the latter option. Unfortunately, it also means that there isn't much we can do without an IP address.

Enter Microsoft: Since it was connected to xbox live, it was connected to them. Since it was connected to them, they had to have the IP address at one point. Like all major companies, they probably log said IP addresses. These days, the liability involved is too great not to. So, my friend called Microsoft, and I ended up doing some talking as well (my friend doesn't know much about computers, and had no idea what he was talking about). Basically, my friend was told that he can't have the IP address used by his own xbox. I don't remember if they explicitly said this, but they implied that they don't even keep the logs. I mentioned that that didn't seem right, but they wouldn't budge.

So here I am, this >< close to getting my friends xbox back. Since Microsoft is being a pain in the ass, however, I'm a bit stuck. Anybody have any suggestions to bring this up in the chain of command? I don't believe them for a second that they don't keep logs. A police report has been filed, and am wondering if we should have them call. They've been excellent in helping us so far.

What really sucks, everyone is leaving now that the schoolyear is almost up.

Then, we have Windows updates. You know, those things that often get put on your computer automatically? Yeah, so they have been causing a lot of problems on campus lately. For those that don't know, I go to a school where everyone has laptops, and work where they get fixed. We've had to wipe so many laptops because of this, since the computers get really unstable (moreso than usual, that is)

So yeah, I'm hating MS right now. Any thoughts, at least for the first issue?

SpongeBuell
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu May 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Well...you could try getting the school to setup a packet sniffer for all XBL oriented data, then track down all people using XBL. Best bet is probably getting MS to fess up the info though.

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Thu May 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Yeah I can't believe that they don't keep log of the IP adresses. Heck I was talking to a guy a couple weeks ago that used to work for Microsofts game developers and he said that he talked to some guys that still work there. They told him that it is possible for them to scan any X-Box 360 to see if they have abnormally large hard drives in them or if they're abnormally large and they can remotely wipe out that persons hard drive. So I can't believe that they don't keep a log somewhere.
DCP---Done

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu May 10, 2007 6:33 pm

gannon wrote:Well...you could try getting the school to setup a packet sniffer for all XBL oriented data, then track down all people using XBL. Best bet is probably getting MS to fess up the info though.
Pretty sure that a LOT of people have XBL on a campus like this. Too many people to talk to for such weak evidence.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Thu May 10, 2007 6:39 pm

wait, so now we're complaining that microsoft is keeping its user's data private?
man, they just can't win sometimes...

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu May 10, 2007 6:48 pm

Normally I'd agree that they should be keeping user's data private, but this was my friend that was calling about HIS OWN DATA. That's not too unreasonable, I don't think.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu May 10, 2007 6:52 pm

For the XBL data I figured the account# or some other ID would be included in the packet

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu May 10, 2007 7:03 pm

Maybe you could use another Xbox and get the guy who stole it (You know the username/tag/whatever it's called, right?) and chat with him (if that's possible, I don't have an Xbox) and maybe somehow convince him to "hang out" with you.

But that really sucks, it just got stolen out of his room?

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu May 10, 2007 7:11 pm

Super Cameraman wrote:Maybe you could use another Xbox and get the guy who stole it (You know the username/tag/whatever it's called, right?) and chat with him (if that's possible, I don't have an Xbox) and maybe somehow convince him to "hang out" with you.

But that really sucks, it just got stolen out of his room?

-Super
I'm guessing that would be too suspicious for whoever stole it. Plus, they'd need a headset. I think it was just the unit/cables/game inside that got stolen. And yeah, it was stolen right out of the room during a floor meeting
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Thu May 10, 2007 7:51 pm

I'd say get the police involved. Microsoft obviously isn't going to reveal user data to some random guy on the phone. Or you could demand to speak with a supervisor, and keep making that demand at each subsequently higher level in the company until you either A) hit a wall, or B) talk with someone actually capable of rendering aid.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu May 10, 2007 8:34 pm

He's had the ability to give his information to them, though. I think that our next step will be to do what you mentioned (climb the chain till you hit a wall) or have the police call if that doesn't work, though I don't have my hopes too high about that, either :evil:
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

MrTroy
360 GamerTag:Kizler

Post by MrTroy » Fri May 11, 2007 8:42 am

Well... I'm with Microsoft on this one. I'd hate for them to give my info out to ANYONE. There's certain protocall you'd have to go through and all. Cancel the XBL membership is what I say. Chalk it up as a loss (Going through Microsoft)... cause that'd be really really bad on Microsoft's part to give up info on where someone is living or ip address over the phone(That could lead to an even bigger problem if you kill the guy or something).

If you're on Campus the person is prolly on Campus... Where exactly was it left? In someone's room or something? Maybe you know the person who stole it. Someone had to have known it was in there. And a custom paint job isn't easy to hide.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Fri May 11, 2007 4:27 pm

Right, but they would be giving him his own information. It would be one thing for them to give me the information, that I'd be totally against, but they can't give my friend information about his own bloody account? And it's not an exact location, either that they'd be giving out, just an IP address. 4 simple numbers, like 64.150.165.11. There are plenty of ways they can make sure it's him, too... I've changed my PIN number for my check card over the phone, even. All they really needed was my SSN and I was set. I'm sure a password or something along those lines would be sufficient.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

dragon

Post by dragon » Fri May 11, 2007 4:39 pm

i think you have 2 opions.
1 keep naging mircosoft. this can work with some big company .

2 probley shouldnt do this but i will say it any way. you could try and hack mircosoft. :lol:

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri May 11, 2007 5:14 pm

well if i was you i would just go up and down the hall you are on and knock on the doors. Sounds like that guy lives on your floor. If he walked in during a floor meeting. He probably knew yall had a meeting and checked to see if someone left theres unlocked.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."