Big Boom!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gamer2
Big Boom!

Post by gamer2 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:32 am

Supernova!

A nearby supernova exploded recently and now they think a nearby star is going to follow.

I think its scary, if it happens here.

your thoughts?

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Tue May 08, 2007 10:52 am

I'm pretty sure we will be long dead before the nearby star blows up.

AND just to mention, its only a theroy, or as my dad says, crap they can easily fool people into beleiveing just so they can keep their jobs as Scientists.

They also theroize that our galaxy is going to crash into another glaxy, they also theroize that here in a decade or so that a Meteor will barely miss the earth passing under our sattelites and then 7 years later on the same day or so, come back and possibly hit earth.

I don't beleive half of what Scientists say about the Universe.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:56 am

I do. What else is there to belive, other than science? (Lets have this be the end of that, no politcal, or religious arguments. Forum Policy)

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Tue May 08, 2007 11:10 am

What did I say that was political or Religious?

loup

Post by loup » Tue May 08, 2007 11:22 am

you didn't say anything that was really religious or political, gamer2 just doesn't want someone to reply to his statement of "what else is there to believe" with bible/creationist theory because that would probably start a religious debate, which is against forum policy

[edit]
Jongamer wrote:AND just to mention, its only a theroy, or as my dad says, crap
Theory has multiple connotations based on the context. From wikipedia "In science, a theory is a mathematical description, a logical explanation, a verified hypothesis, or a proven model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation"

So, saying that theory = crap (or unverifiable statement of belief) is not necessarily true
From the OLD ozforces forums
- Offenders will be bashed. Repeat Offenders will be repeatedly bashed.

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Tue May 08, 2007 11:32 am

I do. What else is there to belive, other than science? (Lets have this be the end of that, no politcal, or religious arguments. Forum Policy)
If you aren't trying to spark some silly political or religious debate, why did you even write your original post at all?

It is, implicitly, a statement on religion.

That's sort of like writing, "Republicans are stupid, but don't respond to this statement with any defense of them. That would be political argument, which is against forum policy."

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Tue May 08, 2007 11:39 am

So, saying that theory = crap (or unverifiable statement of belief) is not necessarily true
This is certainly true.

You are much more likely to be full of crap if you start making statements about "scientific fact."

Most of our useful knowledge of the natural world is classified as "scientific theory."

Pretty much the only thing that isn't is direct observation.

bgnome

Re: Big Boom!

Post by bgnome » Tue May 08, 2007 1:37 pm

gamer2 wrote:Supernova!

A nearby supernova exploded recently and now they think a nearby star is going to follow.

I think its scary, if it happens here.

your thoughts?
240 million years ago is not really all that recent, in my opinion..

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Tue May 08, 2007 1:49 pm

I read in a issue from last year of National Geographic that there's one pretty close that might explode any day/month/year now.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Tue May 08, 2007 3:18 pm

I always hate the idea that death can come seemingly by the flip of a coin; that an exploding star in our neighborhood could bathe the planet in lethal radiation; that a meteorite could sneak up and threaten to eradicate all that we have accomplished as a species from the surface of the Earth.

As long as we are stranded on this single planet we are vulnerable. I will breath a sigh of relief when the first permanent settlements in space are founded (and I'll be buying a ticket real quick-like).
They also theroize that our galaxy is going to crash into another glaxy, they also theroize that here in a decade or so that a Meteor will barely miss the earth passing under our sattelites and then 7 years later on the same day or so, come back and possibly hit earth.
It is; it will; and it might.

Really, we have gotten very good at calculating the trajectory of objects in space. All you need are a few observations and a calculator.

Crash isn't the best word to use when two galaxies are concerned. Andromeda will intercept our galaxy, but most of the stars will just pass through empty space. The interaction will be almost entirely gravitational, with very few collisions occuring. Put two marbles on the ground a mile apart, walk a few miles away, close your eyes and roll a third marble in the general direction of the other two (assume friction does not stop the marble). What are the chances of an actual collision?

Without the modern scientific method- including scientists coming up with theories- we'd still be running around hacking at each other with swords right now.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue May 08, 2007 3:23 pm

Edutainment wrote:I read in a issue from last year of National Geographic that there's one pretty close that might explode any day/month/year now.
Good thing close in space terms means its a few hundred lightyears away. :P

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue May 08, 2007 5:23 pm

teraflop122 wrote:I always hate the idea that death can come seemingly by the flip of a coin; that an exploding star in our neighborhood could bathe the planet in lethal radiation; that a meteorite could sneak up and threaten to eradicate all that we have accomplished as a species from the surface of the Earth.

As long as we are stranded on this single planet we are vulnerable. I will breath a sigh of relief when the first permanent settlements in space are founded (and I'll be buying a ticket real quick-like).
Thats why you have to live everyday to the fullest and not worry about issues that are out of your hand.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Tue May 08, 2007 6:32 pm

vskid wrote:
Edutainment wrote:I read in a issue from last year of National Geographic that there's one pretty close that might explode any day/month/year now.
Good thing close in space terms means its a few hundred lightyears away. :P
They meant close enough to have an affect though. I don't remember how bad they said it would be.

jeep

Post by jeep » Tue May 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Jongamer wrote:I
AND just to mention, its only a theroy, or as my dad says, crap they can easily fool people into beleiveing just so they can keep their jobs as Scientists.

I don't beleive half of what Scientists say about the Universe.

Don't believe all your dad says. The theory are not perfect, but they respond perfectly to laws in the quantic physic. And when they find something wrong, they try to find something that include the exception. And I don't think there's an international scientist plot. If you doubt the law work, they're experiment you try to see by yourself. I mean, of course, relativity is kinda weird at first, but its the best things we have to explain they way the universe behave. Anyway, I'm not saying all is true, of course not. But it's the best things we have to explain the world, and it works pretty well.

Jeep