The Wii can kiss the Dreamcast's ass!!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
The Wii can kiss the Dreamcast's ass!!

Post by ValiantVenality » Fri May 04, 2007 12:08 am

Ok. Now I know you guys are thinkin "WOW WII IS the ROXZORZ!". But, no. Sega has always been the best, always will. And I have proof! Ok, so you know how the Wii has a motion sensor to play games? Sega does too! With.......

THE FISHING ROD!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybmCZ669Od4

So all the Wii fanboy's cant be such a crap talker on all of the other systems. The saying that will literally live on forver and still be true.

SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T!!!!!!!!

VV

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri May 04, 2007 12:29 am

Ya. Looks like some great technology there, only a 1-second delay! I don't know what the hell you're trying to prove - but let me remind you of "blast processing" and the Sega crash right after the Dreamcast. Now I'm not saying the Dreamcast wasn't a good console, but Sega seriously sucks at marketing. And it's a fishing rod. There's no way it's anywhere as versatile as the Wii remote or the PS3 Sixaxis.

I'll also point out your hypocrisy. You doing just what you scold "Wii fanboys" for, being fanboys. Which Wii fanboy was a "crap talker" on the Dreamcast anyways?

Here's what Nintendoes, Sony does and Microsoft does what Sega doesn't; what the mass market wants!

EDIT: All due respect though, of course. :)

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Fri May 04, 2007 12:49 am

I will prove everyone of your points wrong:
And it's a fishing rod. There's no way it's anywhere as versatile as the Wii remote or the PS3 Sixaxis.
Ok. Appearently the Dreamcast can't stand up to the Wii and PS3. But c'mon. Its from 1999 and it can control things on the TV. I didn't see the N64 do anything of the sort at that time. So what I proved here is: Wii and PS3 are better at that, but appearently it can do something.
I'll also point out your hypocrisy. You doing just what you scold "Wii fanboys" for, being fanboys. Which Wii fanboy was a "crap talker" on the Dreamcast anyways?
I actually wasn't really talking about Wii fanboys, I meant to say Nintendo fanboys. And you cannot tell me that people didn't critisized (sp?) the Dreamcast. Especially people today. If you look at forums and such, everyone says the the Dreamcast was an obsolete system which got rocked by the Gamecube and the PS2. What did we prove here?: Nintendo fanboys do talk crap on the Dreamcast for a fact.
Ya. Looks like some great technology there, only a 1-second delay! I don't know what the hell you're trying to prove - but let me remind you of "blast processing" and the Sega crash right after the Dreamcast.
I was trying to prove that the Dreamcast still lives on and compete with these "Next Gen" systems. I know it looked bad for the Genesis at that time, but it still pretty much stood up to the systems. Do you like Gunstar Heroes? Do you like Phantasy Star? Do you like Sonic? None of that would be possible with out the Genesis (and Master System) . What have we proved here?: Sega still lives on in many peoples live's (especially mine) and it still can compete with the next gen systems. Also, Sega may have done bad at commercializing their games and systems, but the Genesis had many titles people wont live without today.

So all I am trying to say in this post is that the Dreamcast will and still live for many years to come. (And I have to admit the SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDONT at the end of my post was kinda stupid to put) .

VV

EDIT: Crap, I cant do quotes right.

Edit by SpongeBuell: Yeah you did, you just disabled BBCode for some reason

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:05 am

Hey, I'm all for calling the Wii's blame but, come on man. Yeah I know that Nintendo didn't come up with the first motion sensing controller (they'd probably like you to think so though). But that doesn't mean they were the first one to innovate with it.

Nintendo also had the power glove back in the late 80's which could sense where you were because it had to, it used sounds to broadcast.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri May 04, 2007 1:07 am

Uh ok... this technology has been around from before 1999. Let's see how the Dreamcast lives up to today's new consoles as fat as graphics, multiplayer and innovation go. And no, a screen on the system's memory card is not innovation. :P

The Dreamcast is disliked amongst many because of their marketing skills. That point, you did not address.

I really don't want to get in an argument here, but there's no way you can consider the Dreamcast still living among the new consoles, there's only a homebrew scene, nothing medial.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri May 04, 2007 6:43 am

"air mice" use the same technology as the Wii controller, but they have been around for several years now.

http://www.gyration.com
No it's NOT an adult site. : P

Can we use this thread for general (constructive, of course) criticism of Nintendo's latest offerings? They were alright up to the N64, then started to slide. Like Ben said in one of the podcasts, it's like an old friend develops a drug problem; you feel disappointed in them.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Fri May 04, 2007 6:54 am

dude chill the whole idea of motion sensing is very old, the fact is the wii is pretty much an expansion of the NES Power Glove, the idea is very similar to a lot of other things as well, Nintendo just refined it for the modern gen games, stop being such a fanboy jackass and cool it

Now Before anyone starts pointing out fingers to me saying I am a fanboy, take this in consideration, I make it a point to buy a system when it has a dozen gamesto play, so right now none of the systems really deserve my money (Xbox arcade and the virtual console stuff do not count)

Now i do respect the fact that the cube is basically a dreamcast, or at least has a lot of ports, and that the PS2 has only two advantages of the DC, the DVD drive and Optical out, I do promote reviving dreamcasts

Chill whatever happens is not that big a deal to get you feminine undergarments in a wad...

~Krepticor
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Fri May 04, 2007 8:18 am

it doesn't really look much like his skills would handle an active enemy--but he's got guts if he's ever tried it.

a lot of game systems could 'kiss dreamcast's ass' but none do. it's the first of a long string systems that I have trouble telling their graphics level apart because they're all in the "looks pretty good to me" range. (on composite connection)

but I'm a realist, and dreamcast had a somewhat short, but very good good run. lots of 'killer apps' in the games department, with responsive control and sharp graphics. still it's over. I hate to suggest it, but unmodded piracy probably had as much to do with it as sony's binding marketing strategy.

Now, I'm no wii fan, but comparing the dreamcast (or anybody else's) fishing controller to the wiimote is a little unfair. Wii's sensitive IR sensor (camera?) and sensitive multi-axis gyro are a little ahead of the simple 'swing the weight around' attitude fishing controllers tend to have. (though I must confess, I don't own a dc fishing controller, but I do seem to recal buying an N64 one for some reason...)

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri May 04, 2007 8:33 am

Since we are on the subject of past consoles motion sensing controlers. The NES had the stupid Power Glove!

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Fri May 04, 2007 9:26 am

HEY! Dont you ever make fun of the Pwnage Glove it was and still is the shizznit.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri May 04, 2007 9:40 am

Twisted Warthog wrote:HEY! Dont you ever make fun of the Pwnage Glove it was and still is the shizznit.
hey the power glove is cool and all. but it's had its hay day. But I am glade to finely see someone who does not hate it because everone else i have seen thinks it stupid. And I made that post to make it appleaing to other members on this forum. Wii power glove is cool!!

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

MrTroy
360 GamerTag:Kizler

Post by MrTroy » Fri May 04, 2007 11:15 am

ValiantVenality wrote:I will prove everyone of your points wrong:
Oh god... here we go...
ValiantVenality wrote:Ok. Appearently the Dreamcast can't stand up to the Wii and PS3. But c'mon. Its from 1999 and it can control things on the TV. I didn't see the N64 do anything of the sort at that time. So what I proved here is: Wii and PS3 are better at that, but appearently it can do something.
So why can the Wii kiss the Dreamcast's Ass? You brought it in like the Dreamcast is actively competing against the Wii. It's not. Underground circles don't make something a competitor.

ValiantVenality wrote:I actually wasn't really talking about Wii fanboys, I meant to say Nintendo fanboys. And you cannot tell me that people didn't critisized (sp?) the Dreamcast. Especially people today. If you look at forums and such, everyone says the the Dreamcast was an obsolete system which got rocked by the Gamecube and the PS2. What did we prove here?: Nintendo fanboys do talk crap on the Dreamcast for a fact.
The question is... which system has the biggest existing user base right now. Gamecube games can come out for the next 5 years if they want and I think they'll still float around. Dreamcast was pulled out of stores before this gen even got started. Gamecube came out what in 2001? 6 years and still on the shelves is a pretty good deal. 2002 or 2003ish is when here in the US they pulled the Dreamcast? That's not a good enough run.
ValiantVenality wrote:I was trying to prove that the Dreamcast still lives on and compete with these "Next Gen" systems. I know it looked bad for the Genesis at that time, but it still pretty much stood up to the systems. Do you like Gunstar Heroes? Do you like Phantasy Star? Do you like Sonic? None of that would be possible with out the Genesis (and Master System) . What have we proved here?: Sega still lives on in many peoples live's (especially mine) and it still can compete with the next gen systems. Also, Sega may have done bad at commercializing their games and systems, but the Genesis had many titles people wont live without today.
Sega still makes games, that's why those games still live on. Your "None of this would be possible without" doesn't make sense... cause I could say "Without the NES there would be no Master System." or "Without the 2600 there would be no (Insert ANY post 2600 game system)"

Atari still makes games. Does that mean that the Wii should kiss it's ass as well?
ValiantVenality wrote:So all I am trying to say in this post is that the Dreamcast will and still live for many years to come. (And I have to admit the SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDONT at the end of my post was kinda stupid to put).
The Dreamcast will live on for a very long time(hopefully) but saying it competes with modern systems says a lot.
Yeah I know that Nintendo didn't come up with the first motion sensing controller (they'd probably like you to think so though).
Nintendo specifically said they didn't when they were making the controller.

dman762000

Post by dman762000 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:22 am

ok well lets put it this way, if we are cutting down the "Wii" quite frankly it has probably the stupidist control on the planet, lets look at this objectivly, the majority of gamers do not want to be up bouncing around the room, and i am not talking about hyperactive little 6 yo kids, i am talking older gamers, how often playing your favorite games do you roam around the room with the controler in hand acting out the game, hush wii fanboys, most serious gamers like to sit down into a well-worn dent in the couch and only move their thumbs for a couple of hours, or days depending on how serious you are, so wiimote=stupid.

MrTroy
360 GamerTag:Kizler

Post by MrTroy » Fri May 04, 2007 11:31 am

most serious gamers like to sit down into a well-worn dent in the couch and only move their thumbs for a couple of hours, or days depending on how serious you are, so wiimote=stupid.
The video game industry doesn't revolve around "serious gamers".

That's the reason the Wii exists. Serious gamers are the reason the industry sucks so bad right now. The bigger, faster, stronger model make sound like a great idea in the long run. But it's making it more pricey to create games.

Gone are the days when development was about making a fun game without being considered "Kiddy" or "a GTA clone" or any kind of negative spin put on it. Can anyone name 5 games from this and last gen that were truely fun? Most games that are out are about pushing to the limits what you can do with awsome graphics and sound. A piece of crap still looks a piece of crap in 1080p.

I don't wanna pay $60 for a video game.... again. The replay value on these games coming out are on the floor. Yet at any time I can toss in Guardian Heroes in my Saturn at any time and play the hell out of it

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri May 04, 2007 12:47 pm

I have a rhetorical question for the Wii advocates:

If the Wii did NOT have the wave-around controller and instead came with a traditional gamepad, but was otherwise identical to the way it is now, would you still buy it? (By "identical" I mean processor, memory, price, and capabilities. In this scenario there is no motion sensing controller at all, first party or otherwise.)