Midwest Gaming Classic - now over, check for pics!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

SpongeBuell
Midwest Gaming Classic - now over, check for pics!

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:26 pm

Those that are going, please PM me your cell phone number so we can figure out a time/place to meet each other in the beginning once the show begins

Well, the time for Midwest Gaming Classic is coming upon us. The event will take place June 9th and 10th in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin... about 30 minutes away from Milwaukee off of I-94. I'm planning on making the drive over, just waiting for the official OK from the parents, and will be going with a few people from here as well.

I just thought I'd make a thread here to keep things organized and get some discussion about this going. If you're going, or think you might, post a reply and I'll update the list. Of course, other MGC-related discussion is welcomed.

Confirmed Going:
Ari
benheck
CronoTriggerfan
Gannon
Gannonbanned
G-force
jones (Sunday)
krafter
Metallica Man X (Sunday)
SpongeBuell
Triton
wallydawg
warmachine

Possibly/Tentatively/Probably Going:
Lucretius
<s>Sparkfist</s>

If it helps any, megabus.com has some incredibly cheap fares if you get them early enough, though you have to figure out how to get from Milwaukee to Oconomowoc. You can get there from the following cities: Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Toledo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. With the exception of Minneapolis and Chicago, a stop in Chicago would be needed.
Last edited by SpongeBuell on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:31 pm

Yes, just think, you could meet ME, Benheck himself. Though as Sponge could tell you I'm not magical with superpowers in person.

It's worth it just for all the free arcade and pinball machines alone. Unfortunately Jones has a wedding to goto (not his own, he's already married) that Saturday but maybe he could come on the Sunday.

I'm thinking of doing both days as I could stay with a friend nearby, though if they have some fun stuff going on that night I might stay at the resort.

-Ben

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:37 pm

As fun as it would be to go, (even just to meet the almight Ben), travelling a quarterway across the continent for two days wouldn't be worth the travel time, or cost of travel and the likes. Perhaps one day I will make the journey.

(Like next year, if I get a job and don't get into University :P )
Hey, sup?

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:50 pm

I wish I could go, however, being 15 and no job or a way to travel, I cannot go.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Ahh man I wish I could go. Gas prices would be pretty ridiculas traveling from Texas to Wisconsin.

1,253 miles travel distance. 14 miles a gallon. 89.5 Gallons at 2.50 ish a gallon works out to $223.75 for a one way trip....maybe you could take pictures so it could be like i was there lol :lol:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Rekarp wrote:Ahh man I wish I could go. Gas prices would be pretty ridiculas traveling from Texas to Wisconsin.

1,253 miles travel distance. 14 miles a gallon. 89.5 Gallons at 2.50 ish a gallon works out to $223.75 for a one way trip....maybe you could take pictures so it could be like i was there lol :lol:
14MPG? That's worse than my car! (not the one I'd be taking, thankfully) What kind do you drive? I drive a 1985 Jeep, which gets a whopping 15MPG on the highway, 12 on the city. Oh, and you can count on gas being more than $2.50/gallon. Here in Wisconsin, it's already $2.90 and rising :shock:
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:31 pm

Us Canadians measure gas in Litres! It makes it seem like less.

We're around .80-1 dollar per litre of gas.

14 miles to the gallon is little better than a humvee...
Hey, sup?

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:54 pm

I drive a 99' Jeep Wrangler that has a oversized tires. I calculated my own MPG since most of the time the stick MPG is off (It even says Estimated lol.).

Well Gas is still cheap down hear (houston ship channel ftw!) But it will soon rise :/ .

To bad I don't have an underground storage area for Gas. Buy when its cheap.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

benol

Post by benol » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:20 pm

I wish I lived in the midwest! The southeast is a little far from the midwest! :lol:
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:20 pm

i got you all beat on bad MPG lol, my olds gets an estimated 8-12mpg and my elcamino gets about the same and gas here is about 2.80 a gallon >.<

chalk me up for thinking about going, its not bloody likely tho, if i get a job even less so but if i get a geo metro or something somewhat more likely maybe
Last edited by Triton on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:22 pm

Rekarp wrote:I drive a 99' Jeep Wrangler that has a oversized tires.
Dang, thats crappy mileage for something so small. Our 2000 Excursion (king of the SUVs) got 16mpg highway (9 in city) with average size all-terrain tires and it had a monster V-10. Our current 1994 F-350 4 door longbed with the biggest V-8 available from the factory and offroad tires gets 12 mpg and 8 mpg towing. Both are at least 2x to 3x the weight and engine size of a Wrangler. Kinda weird.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:25 pm

Haha, I have you all beat for worst gas mileage. My 1988 Buick Estate Wagon gets a whopping 0.125 gallons to the mile. I'll let you figure that out :P

I was planning to go, but I'll be gone from June 2-11 running a sailing ship (Seabase).

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:28 pm

Calculation time. Would it be more efficient to buy cheap gas and haul it up/over/down to wisconsin or to buy gradually more expensive gas on the way?
Hey, sup?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:18 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Calculation time. Would it be more efficient to buy cheap gas and haul it up/over/down to wisconsin or to buy gradually more expensive gas on the way?
I think it would be cheaper as long as the gas prices rose more than 10 cents. While gas does weigh quite a bit, it won't reduce your mpg enough to make it worth it to buy it as you go. Transporting that much gas might get dangerous, though. :wink:

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:44 pm

You guys and your cars. :P

I actually live fairly close (suburbs of Chicago), but as I don't have a car, getting there would be very difficult.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen: