How much did it cost YOU to build your portable(s)?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame
How much did it cost YOU to build your portable(s)?

Post by Electric Rain » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:26 pm

I'm ashamed to say that I have not built a single portable as of yet. This is not due to lack of skill, ideas or desire, but to lack of funds. :? I know I can build some pretty "worthy" portables, even though you guys haven't really seen any proof of that yet. Anyway, I offered to build portables as prizes for a gaming tournament in September at the cost of parts. Half of the money (from entry fees) is going towards prizes, and the other half is going to charity... this would be my way of giving back, if all goes well. :) We wanted something that no one else already has or can easily obtain (consoles, games... even gift cards...), and we can't just give away money as prizes. We wanted something... "invaluable," if you will. The guy I brought it up to seems kinda confused upon the whole "portablizing" concept, so I directed him here to check out what other people have done. If he approves, I need figure out about how much it's going to cost.

My budget will depend heavily on how many people sign up (and thus how much money we get), and of course what system(s) I would portablize, but I wanted to get a general idea from you guys, how much it cost you to build your portable(s)? Any system from Atari to PS3 (HA!). If it was a console made portable, I want to know how much it cost you for EVERYTHING. :)

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:39 pm

My N64p cost $250, but that's including 8 N64s and a butt load of games and other stuff.
ImageImage

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:41 pm

:shock: You fried 7 N64s?!

P.S. Nice signature... *eyes drift to the right side...* :P You sure you're not gonna get in trouble for that? :wink:

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Genesis: $35
RCPJBox:$7
Battery:$10
Projected screen cost: $30
Total projected cost: $82
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Electric Rain wrote::shock: You fried 7 N64s?!

P.S. Nice signature... *eyes drift to the right side...* :P You sure you're not gonna get in trouble for that? :wink:
I only fried 4, I have some extras. She's not nude or anything, I'm not breaking any rules :wink:
ImageImage

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Ah... it looks like if the camera rotated 180 degrees, you'd be breaking the rules... :wink: Anyway... I seem to be hi-jacking my own thread... back on topic, me! :lol:

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:37 pm

daguuy wrote:

I only fried 4, I have some extras. She's not nude or anything, I'm not breaking any rules :wink:
Dude, I'm going to be in a load of trouble if one of my parents happens to glance at the monitor while I'm reading one of your posts.Do ya think you could change it? :wink:
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:42 pm

daguuy wrote:
Electric Rain wrote:P.S. Nice signature... *eyes drift to the right side...* :P You sure you're not gonna get in trouble for that? :wink:
She's not nude or anything, I'm not breaking any rules :wink:
Right on! ;)

Anyways, my portables usually don't cost much, only the materials for case (usually 10 bucks) and the screen and battery (80 combined). I get the console itself extremely cheap - because of its "broken" status - or I have a spare lying around.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:48 pm

Darth Fett wrote:
daguuy wrote:

Dude, I'm going to be in a load of trouble if one of my parents happens to glance at the monitor while I'm reading one of your posts.Do ya think you could change it? :wink:
Same here, so I adblocked it (get Firefox, and the adblock plus extension).

Had my N64 not died and I not lost interest, my N64p would have ended up about $100-150, $150 would be including tools.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:14 pm

Same here... I just don't let them (parents) see it. *shrug*

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback guys. Keep the costs coming! :P

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:39 pm

Hmm, lemme think. Here's the breakdown for the cost of my first SNESp (the one linked in my sig):

SNES mini $40
PSOne screen $40
2 NES controllers $6 - $8 (don't remember)
Case construction supplies (plastic, paint, aluminum, etc.) $30 - $40, actual dollar amount for supplies used is less but they only sell paint by the can, don't they?
Cost for "core unit" of portable: probably around $130-ish

Extra stuff (but still important):
variable voltage power adapter from RadioShack $30 (obviously you can go cheaper on this option, but I use it for "testing" other stuff too)
Batteries - I'm only going to use NiMH RC car batteries or li-ions from now on. The AA NiMH rehcargeables just don't last long enough, so I'm guessing typical cost from now on will be around $30, give or take (depends on how nice of a portable I'm making).

On another note, I found out today that my grandfather picked up an SNES mini for $5 at a thrift store :shock: I told him how much they normally go for on eBay and he just smiled. I think that made his day.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:47 pm

tbh I'm not even planning on building one currently, nor have I ever made one haha.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:16 am

Around $85.
Radica
Ps1 Screen
Couplers
Mini - A/V
Case
Batteries

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:06 am

I get the prize for the most expensive portable! And it isn't even finished.

$700!!!!

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:41 am

can I have a mulligan on this one?
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."