Decisions, decisions... (new pet rodent! :D )

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
Decisions, decisions... (new pet rodent! :D )

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:31 pm

Well, after over a year of begging, my parents are finally allowing me to get another rodent. I was forced to give away my guinea pig last summer because I developed hives from him, so this time I'll be getting a hamster! After doing a bit of reading on 'em, and seeing what my local pet store has available, I've narrowed it down to two kinds: Either a Syrian Hamster (Golden) or a Dwarf (Campbell's Russian). Syrian are the bigger of the two, obviously, but the dwarfies are just so damn cute! :lol: So, anyone out there own either of these hamsters or just have input in general? I have to decide by tomorrow afternoon, so I'd appreciate the help! :wink:

CTFan
Last edited by CronoTriggerfan on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:36 pm

Syrian hamsters are much easier to handle. Believe me, it's very helpful to be able to grab a runaway rodent.

Dwarf hamsters are more susceptible to diseases, but they are more friendly than Syrians. But, they have to be kept in pairs, or they die of lonliness.

If this is your first hamster, get a syrian. Once you have that down, get a dwarf. Be careful what you feed them and bed them in.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:37 pm

I used to have a dwarf it was a cute little thing even though that sounds dumb it was a good hamster.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:42 pm

marshallh wrote: Dwarf hamsters are more susceptible to diseases, but they are more friendly than Syrians. But, they have to be kept in pairs, or they die of lonliness.
See, that was one of my main concerns. I'm only getting one, and I'd heard a couple of depression stories with lone dwarfs. And the larger size of the Syrian would also be a plus.

Metroid, was your dwarf housed alone? And how long did he last?

CTFan

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:53 pm

Why not get an animal that loves you back? Hamsters don't like cages...

Try something with a bit more intelligence, like a bunny rabbit or other small mammal not in the rodent family.
Hey, sup?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:07 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Why not get an animal that loves you back? Hamsters don't like cages...

Try something with a bit more intelligence, like a bunny rabbit or other small mammal not in the rodent family.
Well, my first choice was a chinchilla or a ferret, but that was ruled out. :lol: Also, it's gotta be cheap (under $30) and small enough to live solely in my room, because they don't want anything to do with it! :P

CTFan

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:38 pm

i had a hamster.. died in like a month... :cry:

dragon

Post by dragon » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:39 pm

If you got the ferrit you would have to pull your socks over trosuer and hide you fingers. i speack from expreance. :P

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:44 pm

Get the gold one! :D (fuzzy + gold = awesome)

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:48 pm

I myself prefer cats. there cool and dont crap all over the floor.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:03 pm

How about a parakeet? They are under $30, show affection, etc. Taking them out of their cage isn't a problem like you may think. Some people train them really well (along with wing clippings) and are even able to keep the bird on their shoulder while out in public. I wouldn't do that unless you had the bird for a while, though, and have taken it throughout the house all the time.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:13 pm

ganonbanned wrote:I myself prefer cats. there cool and dont crap all over the floor.
Yeah, and can hold them and not worry about them snapping in half. They might not like being stuck in a room though, unless you are always there to keep it from mee-owing to get out.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Well, I don't think my mom would be too keen on a bird, and cats... no. :lol: Not only am I super allergic to them, but let's just say they're not my favorite animals either. :P I'm more of a dog kinda guy.

Also, I think I'll be getting a Syrian, because of the exact concerns mentioned by Marshall. Thanks! Now it's all down to what Syrian to get! :D

CTFan

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:02 pm

Get a niblet hampster!

He's free, and loves cheese!

My little brother had a rat one time.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:13 pm

How about you re-ask for a chinchilla. Those things pwn like no tomorrow. Poop like it too, but it's easily cleanable pellets.

I'd donate the remaining 30 someo-dd paypal cents to your cause, IF you got a chinchilla. Name him bitey. I miss bitey.
Hey, sup?