Decisions, decisions... (new pet rodent! :D )

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

khaag

Post by khaag » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:27 pm

You're allergic to guinea pigs, cats, and birds? What makes you think you won't be allergic to hamsters as well? :lol: Just my two cents...
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:39 pm

khaag wrote::lol: Just my two cents...
Dump it in the take a penny, leave a penny 'cause we don't want it.

:P (sorry, always wanted to use that)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:47 pm

khaag wrote:You're allergic to guinea pigs, cats, and birds? What makes you think you won't be allergic to hamsters as well? :lol: Just my two cents...
Well, hamsters and dogs have been in my weekly vaccination shots for over 5 years now, so I'm pretty much immune; the other ones have only been in there for about 3, which sucks from an allergy standpoint. But I do hate those shots.... :P

And Kurt_, I'll ask about the chinchilla. What's the benefit of a chinchilla over a hamster, I really haven't researched them much.

CTFan

khaag

Post by khaag » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:50 pm

Wow, you have to take shots weekly :shock: ? Thats harsh.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:58 pm

damn I think you need to just cool it for a while since you have those allergies

I have had experience with ferrets and they are just way too messy, just don't recommend tem

I don't know much about a chinchilla

Bunnies arenice, but I am pretty sure if you are deathly allergic to so many other things, then 10 to one your allergic to hem too (and personally, I prefer rabbit as a meal vs a pet, trust me rabbit = better than chicken)

My friend had a guinea pig and they were fun to have run around the house in his little ball for a while, I assume a hampster would be similar
oh yea and if you get a hampster, you must build a series of tunnels and boxes
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:12 pm

Krepticor wrote:My friend had a guinea pig and they were fun to have run around the house in his little ball for a while, I assume a hampster would be similar
oh yea and if you get a hampster, you must build a series of tunnels and boxes
hamper (n) - a large basket, usually with a cover.
hamster (n) - a small Eurasian rodent of the subfamily Cricetinae, especially Mesocricetus auratus, having large cheek pouches and a short tail and often kept as a pet or used in laboratory research.
hampster (?) - of the hampsterdance?

:P

For my hamster's house right now, I just have a Digikey cardboard box with a toilet paper roll attached. Works perfectly and really easy to clean!

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:23 pm

I have owned many a small mammal, and I must say I enjoyed the hamsters the least.

I now and always will suggest gerbils over a hamster. Gerbils are awake when most people are around- in the morning and afternoon. Gerbils are significantly less prone to biting.

Then again...

If you want a friendly, intelligent, clean, litter-trainable, pet- a pet which will come when it hears its name, lick your hands and face, watch TV with you, eat your homework for you, play hide and seek with you, wrestle with you- if you want a dog or a cat in a small, sub-$13 package- get a Rat. (good luck persuading stubborn parents though.)

Lady Indecisive

Post by Lady Indecisive » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:40 pm

I think you should get a mouse. They are nice pets. Plus, you can scare people with them! But if you get an unfriendly one your fingers are in jepoardy. I speak from experience......yow did that hurt...... :P
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when pushed down a staircase.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Mice are cute and all, the only downside is their life-span of like, 6 months.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:46 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Metroid, was your dwarf housed alone? And how long did he last?

CTFan
Mine was housed alone and he survived for 2 years and he only died because we had to move and he died from the shock... but come to think of it I think it was a chinese dwarf hamster.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:47 pm

He died from the shock?! How do you figure that?

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:50 pm

All of the movement from the car and from having to leave him in the car on a cold night because the hotel wouldn't let us put him in the room :(

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:59 pm

Skyone wrote:Mice are cute and all, the only downside is their life-span of like, 6 months.
I had one that lived for about 3 years. :wink: I reccomend Siamese Fighting Fish. Those fish have some wierd personalitys (actually, those are the only fish I've had with ANY personality). Mine used to pout if I was eating something in the same room as him and didn't give him something to munch on. :lol:
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:01 pm

Metroid fan wrote:All of the movement from the car and from having to leave him in the car on a cold night because the hotel wouldn't let us put him in the room :(
Do you not have pockets? You could have put it in your pocket, grabbed the water bottle and some food, and put it in an empty suitcase or similar box. Theres always a way. :twisted:

EDIT: At Siamese fish, we had one that would flare its gills at you sometimes, and would jump up and hit your finger if you held it just above the water. Those fish can live in anything, just look at those cups they come in!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Well, a rat would be cool! They're really smart, and that'd be cool to own. I'd have to check the allergies, though. Is a rat smarter than a hamster? I just know that rats are very intelligent animals, my friend owned a pair for years and they were a blast. Can't believe I forgot about them! Oh, and I've also heard that rats have the same problem as dwarf hamsters when it comes to companionship, that they need another rat in the cage so as not to be depressed. Anyone kept a single rat in one cage before and had it be happy?

CTFan