What Game system got you addicted to Video Games?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

vskid
Steam ID: vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:48 pm

Pretty sure the first games I played were on DOS. First console played was SNES or Genesis. First owned Genesis. Got hooked when I got an N64 (the best system ever). I was the master of Pokemon Snap. :P

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:17 am

TI 99/4A rep up. I only remember playing TI-Invaders, even though we had lots more games and programs for it. My dad sold it at a garage sale about 10 years ago for $5. I'm still mad at him for it haha.

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:44 am

The first system I ever played was an SNES, and Super Mario Kart was the first game I ever played. Though I didn't become much om a gamer untill 2001, when my parents bought me a brand new PSone. That also explanes why I rock at THPS, those games were my favorite for years.
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:25 am

My parents didn't let me have a current game system up until the GameCube, though my brother-in-law gave me his NES when the PS2 came out, and my dad gave me my sisters' old Commodore 64 and Bally Computer System.

I'd have to say it's a tie between the NES and the Bally.

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:39 am

nes and atari 2600 for me. damn im old.

Darth Fett
Location: On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:48 am

Simalarly to Usbcd36, my parents didn't let me have video games when I was little. Ah, but there was the computer! I spent forever playing various little kid games. Well anyways, even though I couldn't play any good ones, I still really liked games, and I watched my friends brothers play N64 at her house(They only let me play it on the rarest of occasions). Fast forward to 2001. After years of listening to me and the oldest of my little brothers pestering, my parents broke down and got a Playstation for Christmas. Fast forward to 2007. I have many systems, I have a huge collection of games(hooray for thrift stores), and I'm determined to work in Square-Enix when I grow up. And they all lived happily ever after. :)
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

Triton
360 GamerTag: triton199
Steam ID: triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:07 am

i also played a lot of games on a friends old packard bell, 3d mind and body, megarace, skifree! lots of neat stuff

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:31 am

Ah, yes. I have such fond memories of each gaming discovery I made...but, I guess I should start at the beginning.

In the beginning, the elders of my parents purchased the Entertainment System of Nintendo. I must have been five at that point. My siblings and I frequented our grandparents house very often then, even though we lived twelve hours away, and they wanted us to have something to do. We spent many an hour reaching new levels in Super Mario Bros., and creating new strategies for crossing the fish bridges ("just hold the B bottun and run!")

My parents had memories of primative electronic gaming mechanisms from their youth; my mother often had access to an Atari2600; my father watched friends in college using a mainframe and punchards with a dot-matrix printer to play Star Trek, blasting the evil Klingons! (>>>Enterprise to 90,15 > Birdoprey to 83, 17 > Hit/Move?)

They saw that video games were becoming popular, what with the release of the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo, so they went to a store during the christmass of my seventh or eighth year and bought the Genesis. They probably flipped a coin, or just bought the cheapest one of the two.

Ah, Sonic the Hedgehog 2...how many dozens of hours- how many dozens of attempts did it take my siblings and I to beat the boss.....the very first boss in the game. We lacked basic gaming skills at this point. Eventually we did get defeat Robotnik and his drill-tipped dune-buggy thing. However, despite this being our first console, I do not believe it is the one to get me hooked.

That did not occur until I received my original Gameboy a year or two later. Now I had a system all my own. It was and still is a thing of beauty! I never had much of a use for home consoles after this point.

My first ever RPG was Pokemon Blue, which I can say without any shame at all- I was a kid, after all, and here was an entire world in the palm of my hands; an entire world I could take with me wherever I go! I remember struggling to defeat, err, Brock, or whatever, with Charmander, until realizing that it was so much easier with the water guy instead.

An indeterminate length of time later, my father picked up a strange new kind of game called SimCity for his work laptop. This was another leap for me. I was drawn into it forever. I still play the original SimCity on the PSP (albiet the SNES version).

A short while later, the best of my friends I can remember introduced me to Civilization, though it would be more than two years before I actually had access to Civ games myself. To the best of my knowledge at the time, Civlization was only for Mac computer. I was probably wrong, but what can I say? Luckily, we got a new home computer around this time, and I stumbled upon Alpha Centauri, made by this same Sid guy. I loved it. Years later, after discovering emulation, I played Civ for the Snes on our PC while I waited for Civilization 3 to come out. Civ 3 was incredibly frustrating at first, but I learned to love it.

And that is the epic story of my life!

arfink

Post by arfink » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:55 pm

The game which got me addicted to video games... Atari was cool, Apple II was cool, but nothing really seemed to grab my attention until I tried out the Neo Geo at an arcade about 2000. I have been obsessed with Metal Slug series basically since then. This year I actually went and bought an MVS mobo and will be consolizing it soon. I'll actually save money in the long run by playing the game at home instead of spending all my money at the arcade. Actually, I would really save money if I just gave up video games, but that's not happening any time soon :twisted:
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID: kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:57 pm

N64. No doubt about it. I did own a NES earlier, but I was little, and the games barely worked (due to oxidation) and it was more frustrating for a little kid (5-8ish) than the fun of the games was worth. Before NES was DOS.

But N64 appealed to so many different markets that I was able to buy one, love it, and continue to love it for many years to come. Until gamecube, but to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with what the accomplished with that system. It was still fun and all, but not much of an improvement over the N64. Don't get me wrong. Metroid Prime and such were amazing games, that could probably have not been reproduced for the N64. But it just didn't compare to the N64 in its prime.
Hey, sup?