Music!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

bassvocal

Post by bassvocal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:59 pm

Well, I've been studying Gustav Holst's score for "The Planets" for the past several days. And looking over Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring." Lots of sonorities in both of those pieces for any writer to study for the orchestral medium.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:18 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:…some Handel every now and then (The Messiah PWNZ :lol: ). I'm not so much a fan of "classical" music persay as I am of flowing orchestral and piano compositions.
YES!

My parents have been ushers for Apollo's Fire for years, and they've recently been letting me go on their free ticket.

Although I do like some rock, techno, and other various genres (except rap…), I do like to listen to orchestral music and calm piano, especially when I'm trying to fall asleep at night or unwind from a day at school (when I'm the only one home and the house is quiet).

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:47 am

somehow hardcore music relaxes me and makes me fall asleep faster.

MaDnEsS
Portablizer

Post by MaDnEsS » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:29 am

Gamelver wrote:Yes, there are still many "classical" composers today (myself being one of them, actually ;)).

He's got....I suppose a kind of minimalist style...he's decent...

and ganonbanned, I wasn't referring to Queen :roll:...(though I do like their music ;)).
dude if you like classical instruments but like rock and roll tone listen to apocalyptica classic sound rock tone 8) or there is always the trans siberian orchestra :) but heres is a vid of apocalyptica

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ttB0U_SF4

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:02 pm

It's not the instruments I like, it's the style of music....classical music, to me, is defined by the way it's written (which I know a bit about now, being a composer and having studied various scores) not by it's instruments. Frankly, I get a lot more out of a long, complex symphony or piano sonata or wind quintet piece or whatever than most "modern" music.

I appreciate most other music, and won't mind listening to it at all, but given the choice, I'd definitely choose Shostakovich or Verdi over, say, The Doors (my favorite band).

Oh, and I can't BELIEVE I forgot this name on my "list"....Mahler :D. Composers, study his scores! Genius orchestrator and developer of themes....beautiful themes, at that.
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:30 pm

As a theater nerd and a radically moderate Catholic (that is possible), I LOVE the musical JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR!!!! :D

PadMasta44

Post by PadMasta44 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Gamelver wrote:Hmmm....as I expected :(. So far no real enthusiasts. Most are like my opposite, loving one "style" of music and generally respecting or occasionally enjoying another.

Also, whoever believes classical (small 'c' ;)) music is always soothing or relaxing obviously hasn't heard much ;).

Well, I don't listen to any, but I know it's full of feeling and emotion. It's certainly not limited to being "soothing" and "relaxing".
And I love all styles of music excluding this one, and Rap and Country. I can't believe that I don't like either of those two, I live in Alabama!!
Home of the ghetto and the countrymen.
It's been a while since I've gotten on here.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:47 pm

3 words.

Lamb Of God.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)