"Hold your wee to win a Wii" -1 casualty

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:55 am

Kyo wrote:"yeah... sorry that your mom died... but hey! you got a wii now! aren't you happy?"
I am such a nerd for saying this but that sounds almost exactly like the flavor text on the Magic: the Gathering card, Reparations: "Sorry I burned down your village. Here's some gold."
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:14 am

Retromaster wrote:
I also know from the line in "Liar Liar" if you hold it, it can make it difficult to get an erection or even become aroused.
TMI, but that was very informative. Thankyou. I'll go yell it in my teacher's face now.

I tried that, it didnt work

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:35 am

ShockSlayer wrote:
jeroen wrote:
jones wrote:
ShockSlayer wrote:Hopefully their mother's efforts don't go without reward.

SS
I feel bad for her kids and all, but why should someone be "rewarded" for their stupidity? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I'm sure friends, family, community members, and the radio station will all step up and raise funds for the kids in one way or another to help them get through this difficult time.
She might not have known. (water does look pretty harmless) And besides the kids could at least get something. I mean their MOTHER DIED. It's not like the wii wil fill the gap. But it's the least you could do.
Yeah. A death is worth a thousand Wii's

SS
Ummm... Yeah.

Anyway, it is a sad situation, but that doesn't mean common sense goes out the window because someone didn't use theirs.

We already reward enough stupidity in this country with the frivolous lawsuits people win all the time. To me this is no different than someone spilling coffee on their crotch at Mcdonald's and then suing them and winning millions of dollars. The same person who won that lawsuit probably would have complained if the coffee had been not "hot" enough.

People in this country need to be responsible for their actions for a change. You do something stupid you might end up dead, or in a situation you didn't foresee yourself being in. It's called survival of the fittest. It's called the kid that swallows too many marbles doesn't get to grow up to have kids of his own.

Unfortunately, in this case, the stupidity of a person who may have otherwise been a level-headed human being cost a life and cost 3 children a mother. Just because it's unfortunate doesn't mean that the world owes them something.

As I said, I'm sure there will be good people in the area that will raise money for the children and accomodations will be made for them. These things happen naturally. You see it in small towns all the time. Somebody's daughter has leukemia and the family doesn't have insurance. People in the community come together and raise money through fundraisers, raffles, dropping schoolteachers into water tanks, etc.

Point is, let nature take it's course. Somebody is always going to die for something absurd. It's unfortunate, but it happens all the time. Some people die climbing mountains that don't need to be scaled and some people die trying to win a game system by not going to the bathroom.

A lot of times you don't know what you're doing is stupid until it's too late. Maybe that was the case with this woman and maybe not. I guess we'll never know for sure.

EDIT: Here's some fallout from this debacle for you all to digest.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164262.ht ... ws;title;3

MrTroy
360 GamerTag:Kizler

Post by MrTroy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:07 pm

We already reward enough stupidity in this country with the frivolous lawsuits people win all the time. To me this is no different than someone spilling coffee on their crotch at Mcdonald's and then suing them and winning millions of dollars. The same person who won that lawsuit probably would have complained if the coffee had been not "hot" enough.
The Case on Wikipedia

Sure I'll cause Third Degree burns on myself to win the lottery. From what I learned in business law (Part of this was left out the Wikipedia entry) was that McDonald's also gave free refills on coffee before this case. So that was a further reason to make their coffee so hot. So you had to wait a long time for it to cool off. There is no difference between the coffee inside and the coffee in the drive through. Also note that before this incident they were sued before for smaller amounts.

When you wanna point out a stupid case for the future, use the two fat girls who sued McDonald's for causing them to get fat... The coffee thing can be argued.

Rototiller

Post by Rototiller » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm

To answer jones's problem, Canada man.
(Yes, I live in south carolina, so what?)
what sig? i don't see anything...

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:43 am

MrTroy wrote:
The Case on Wikipedia

Sure I'll cause Third Degree burns on myself to win the lottery. From what I learned in business law (Part of this was left out the Wikipedia entry) was that McDonald's also gave free refills on coffee before this case. So that was a further reason to make their coffee so hot. So you had to wait a long time for it to cool off. There is no difference between the coffee inside and the coffee in the drive through. Also note that before this incident they were sued before for smaller amounts.

When you wanna point out a stupid case for the future, use the two fat girls who sued McDonald's for causing them to get fat... The coffee thing can be argued.
I still contend that the coffee thing is a case of stupidity being rewarded, but you are correct in that the case of the 2 fat girls suing them for making them fat is an even better example. I don't know how any judge could even think of allowing such a case in their courtroom. Pretty much the definition of frivolous lawsuit there. :?
Rototiller wrote:To answer jones's problem, Canada man.
(Yes, I live in south carolina, so what?)
Never been there, but I probably will someday. I'm not far from it after all! :D

Apparently, the radio DJ's could now have charges filed against them. This is turning into quite the fiasco to be sure.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164325.ht ... ws;title;1

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:19 am

I think they're declaring it a homocide... :shock:

(They just said it on the news)