Ben on Tech TV

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

egomine
Ben on Tech TV

Post by egomine » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:34 pm

On Tech TV you mentioned selling portables as a possible business. You just didn't know if you were going to sell completed items, or sell kits etc. Yet there's nothing really touching that kind of info on the site.

Also in some forum there is mention of a book deal where you may be instructing how to do this at home?

What's the 411?

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:49 pm

Yeah, selling either completed portables or portable kits has been discussed quite a bit, but it would be hard to decide on an overall format that would suit most peoples needs and wants.
I've gotten it down to the point where I can relocate the n64 cartridge port in less than 45 min., and I've also premade a few extra cartridge ports so I could even do it in less than 5 min. with a new n64.
Seeing things like this, you can break a set portable design into something like a science, making over 10 portables a day with a simple design, but unless a suitable lcd supplier could be found, it would be pointless to even try mass producing portables.
Also, older consoles are sometimes hard to come by, and others are just plain expensive.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:27 am

As for the book it is schueled for release in October.

As Gannon has said making a system portable is very labor intesive and what really brings the cost up is the screen, sadly all lcd screen are too expencive to be use right now. Unless someone wants to buy a coupe thousand in bulk.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

egomine

Post by egomine » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:37 am

Have any of you guys though about coperatively buying the LCDs you need in bulk as a community?

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:21 am

That would be pretty hard, unless we all actually sat down, built a company, and became a reseller of the lcds. That way I suppose we could get them at wholesale and bulk prices. We could probably do the same with batteries, but not many people would really want to take such a risk with this.