Macworld/CES Discussion

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

sgtpepper
Macworld/CES Discussion

Post by sgtpepper » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:57 pm

For the first time since I can remember Macworld and CES are both being hosted this year on the week of January 7-13 (next week). Of course there are going to be many new pieces of hardware, software, etc. announced and/or released, so there should be a lot to talk about!

Anyway, since there are still a few days left until the conferences begin, I've been wondering about two things:

What is Apple planning for their much-hyped Keynote address? And will the rumored combo HD-DVD/Blu-ray player be released, possibly ending the format war?

There are hundreds of news stories, photos, and rumors circulating about these events, so there will be plenty to talk about! :wink:

Conference links:
CES official webpage
Macworld Conference & Expo official webpage
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

The Earl of Sandwich

Post by The Earl of Sandwich » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:16 am

If you're any kind of mac fan, then you probably read <a href=http://www.tuaw.com>TUAW</a>, and so you probably know about the <a href=http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook>ModBook</a>. I know that this isn't directly apple related, but it could be pretty cool.

As for Apple news, I hope Leopard is released, but if not, they should probably give a release date and more previews.

EDIT: I forgot about the new teaser on the <a href=http://www.apple.com/>apple website</a> maybe apple is planning on blocking out the sun...

DK

Post by DK » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:59 am

Don't forget the iPod Phone (Won't be called the iPhone because that name is copyrighted already by an Asian Skype phone manufactorer)

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:23 am

DK wrote:Don't forget the iPod Phone (Won't be called the iPhone because that name is copyrighted already by an Asian Skype phone manufactorer)
Actually its Cisco, which created a skype phone under the name.
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:44 pm

YES!!!!!

Not only did they finalize the Apple TV, but they released an iPhone!!!!!

I can't say anything more right now, I need to go explode with joy. :lol:
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:26 pm

you know, I'm really not super hyped about the iPhone. Sure, I'll admit that the thing is as beautiful as everything else from apple, but it's $500-600 with a 2-year contract! that's 5-6x more than any other phone with a contract like that. Sure, I understand that apple charges more for quality stuff... but I think that's kind of pushing it.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:35 pm

SpongeBuell wrote:you know, I'm really not super hyped about the iPhone. Sure, I'll admit that the thing is as beautiful as everything else from apple, but it's $500-600 with a 2-year contract! that's 5-6x more than any other phone with a contract like that. Sure, I understand that apple charges more for quality stuff... but I think that's kind of pushing it.
Hey Spongebuell you're not just buying a phone, you're bying an iPod too. Though really I don't see the big thing about an iPod-Phone. I think they try to put too much into phones now-a-days, they're cellualar phones for wirelessly calling and receiving calls not a means to tote a computer on your hip.

I'll say this, Apple sure killed the Zune with this release. If the iPhone has internet features you could actually go onto the iTunes music store and buy a song someone mentions to you right then and there. Impressive, to say the least.

The whole Apple TV thing. Hmm, well it looks promising, I'm a little unsure about it. I have to look over more of what it offers over the old google.video/YouTube/torrent download. Besides I'm likely the worst person to give a call. I watch only a few hours of TV a week, and most of that is done when I'm strolling through the living room or when over at a friend's house. I'll have to see if Apple offered enough for even someone like me who only watches Sci-fi, Star Trek, History Channel and Discovery Channel.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

The Earl of Sandwich

Post by The Earl of Sandwich » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:18 pm

It's not an iPhone, it's a new Newton that happens to have ipod and phone capability.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Sparkfist wrote:
SpongeBuell wrote:you know, I'm really not super hyped about the iPhone. Sure, I'll admit that the thing is as beautiful as everything else from apple, but it's $500-600 with a 2-year contract! that's 5-6x more than any other phone with a contract like that. Sure, I understand that apple charges more for quality stuff... but I think that's kind of pushing it.
Hey Spongebuell you're not just buying a phone, you're bying an iPod too.
Yeah, a 4 or 8GB one. Better than most cell phones, sure, but that's still not a lot compared to what's out there.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:11 pm

My opinions:

iPhone: :)
It's just another shiny mini-computer that just so happens to place calls, but its other features and apparent processing power make it an interesting unit. This is probably the final nail in the M$ Zune's coffin. Why? Instead of letting your friend play a song 3 times in 3 days, they can just buy the song for a dollar and keep it indefinitely. What does that equal? 5 text messages? Apple's simplistic approach to personal electronics is unique, and apparently working. Imagine what can be done with it when hobbyists figure out how to write programs for it...

Apple TV: :D
This could take off as an alternative to a Media Center PC, since it's designed to automatically synchronize with iTunes. It's also much easier to set up than a HTPC. Joe Sixpack likes easy to use stuff, right? The only problem could be getting videos that were not purchased through iTunes to work; they may need to be encoded to .mp4 or .m4v format. As long as it doesn't defile your media with DRM, right?

Apple <s>Computer</s> inc. : :|
Meh, it's a name change.

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:23 pm

The Apple TV deal looks really cool, and for only $300 it's a good deal.
The iPhone looks even better, especially the fact that it runs a stripped down version of OS X Leopard. Pretty amazing, I think.