PSP Custom Firmwares and other Hacks

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:39 pm

Wow, PSP's are really beginning to own now, i'd love to play FF7 on PSP :) Now if only PSP's could die commerically so they are sold off dead cheap.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:40 pm

GBA, NES, GBC, etc. and for me the SNES emualtor runs full speed. Make sure you tell it to run at 333 mhz :wink:

totokan

Post by totokan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:39 am

Ok now, everybody comparing gp2x and psp, the gp2x was made for homebrew. It doesn't have everything the psp has yet, even though sony has tried to block everything homebrew on it with every upgrade. This, to me, seems like the psp homebrew scene is more determined to work on homebrew, as they are cracking all of sony's encryption, exploiting holes in the software, and so on. The gp2x people, while their console was never stopping them from homebrew, and they even have an SDK with their unit when it arrives at their house, is still a little behind. This is not to say that the gp2x is not going to eventually overthrow the psp, but that it's a little sad that a console aimed towards homebrew is losing to one continually blocking it.
Also, current handhelds, ease-of-homebrew:
Gp2x>PSP>DS
Hell, the DS doesn't even need software updates, they just fix the firmware so you can't do anything to it. Tried wifime to install flashme? Can't anymore, because nintendo fixed the problem. Hell, if the psp didn't have all these downgrades, the DS would be easier. Just plug a gba cart and a pass-me in and play.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:39 am

If we had a 3d accelerator your asses would be handed to you. And isn't the reason most coders even coder for the psp because they are given large sums of money or are bribed with a psp ?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:41 am

gamemasterAS wrote:If we had a 3d accelerator your asses would be handed to you. And isn't the reason most coders even coder for the psp because they are given large sums of money or are bribed with a psp ?
No. "Large sums of money" and "homebrew" completley contradict each other.
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:07 am

The whole idea of Homebrew is for it to be free :P

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:37 am

If we had a 3d accelerator your asses would be handed to you.
If I had wings I could fly. I don't have wings, and the GP2X doesn't have a 3D accelerator. All asses but your own are beyond your reach.
And isn't the reason most coders even coder for the psp because they are given large sums of money or are bribed with a psp ?
Heh. I used to be rather talented at pulling scatterbrained "facts" out of thin air, but then I turned seven. I hate to be harsh, but the stupidity of this comment demands it.

The PSP attracts coders because the PSP is more visible. I had never even heard of the GP32 or the GP2X until I chanced upon it on these forums, but PSP marketing is prolific.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:38 am

Ok, here's my handheld comparison, divided into categories:

Ease of running homebrew/emulator code:
GP2X > DS > PSP

Power:
PSP > GP2X > DS

Commercial software:
DS > PSP > GP2X

Media playback:
GP2X > PSP > DS

2D System Emulation (SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo and under):
GP2X > PSP > DS

3D System Emulation (N64, PSX, Saturn, etc...)
PSP > GP2X > DS (Is there any DS homebrew that uses 3D?)

The GP2X was never designed to do 3D games, so PSX emulation, even in its current state, is pretty damn impresive. (Pardon my French.) Unfortunately, since it lacks a 3D processor, there are a lot of games that are out of its reach.

The PSP has more polygon-pushing power, so it clearly wins the 3D gaming category. It's also the most powerful commercially avalible handheld. (Meaning you cna walk to the store and buy one.) However, mucking with firmware up/downgrades sounds really annoying.

The DS shines above the rest for commercial offerings (especially over the 2X, which has a handful of commercial games). It's also very inexpensive, avalible anywhere, and durable. However, the GP2X and PSP blow it out of the water when it comes to raw processing power. (According to Wikipedia it's only got "One 67 MHz ARM946E-S (ARM) and one 33 MHz ARM7TDMI".) (I don't think they've even optimized the 2600 emulator yet)

What I'm trying to say is, stop bickering over which is "better" overall. They all have their strengths and wasknesses. If you want to be fair, divide the comparisons up into categories.

EDIT:
teraflop122 wrote:The PSP attracts coders because the PSP is more visible. I had never even heard of the GP32 or the GP2X until I chanced upon it on these forums, but PSP marketing is prolific.
Well, remember Sony's got nearly infinite amounts of cash to sling into marketing. Gamepark Holdings has got next to nothing in comparison. (I know, "but they don't have that money...")

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:49 am

Can I update my 3.0 psp to 3.02 oe-b? I am a noob when it comes to psp homebrew... :oops:
Meh, I don't post much.

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:58 am

No, sadly. You have to go directly from 1.5 to 3.02 OE-A, and there is no downgrader for 3.0. :(
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.
"What kind of a monster are you?"
"The kind that killed your family."

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:11 am

jedi knight wrote:Can I update my 3.0 psp to 3.02 oe-b? I am a noob when it comes to psp homebrew... :oops:
I find it peculiar though...I heard they cracked 3.0 firmware, and I though the y figured out the algorithim for downgrade :? Strike that, this is all speculative from what I heard on some forums, don't get your hopes up :wink:
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:13 am

demonofaj wrote:I find it peculiar though...I heard they cracked 3.0 firmware, and I though the y figured out the algorithim for downgrade :? Strike that, this is all speculative from what I heard on some forums, don't get your hopes up :wink:
If they haven't, they probably will soon. Didn't I just read about a downgrader for the TA082'ers? Those guys never seem to stop.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:22 am

jedi knight wrote:Can I update my 3.0 psp to 3.02 oe-b? I am a noob when it comes to psp homebrew... :oops:
Haha why did you upgrade? The only chance now is to get a Undiluted Platinum (if non-TA-082) or trade for a 2.71 TA-082 (and downgrade using Dark_Alex's downgrade)/2.80 non-TA-082 (use 0okm's POS downgrade).

TA-082 downgrade was quite simple, all you need to change was the region in the idstorage and you can downgrade to 1.50. Plus the change was permanent, unlike 0okm's thing.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:38 am

Does the custom firmware still allow all the homebrew?
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:41 am

Well that sucks. I remember I had a 2.71 and was going to downgrade but my sister upgraded it to 2.8:x .
Meh, I don't post much.