PSP Custom Firmwares and other Hacks

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:00 pm

jperryss wrote:I put my emulators in the GAME150 folder, and had to go to Recovery mode to switch to 1.50 kernel.
i dont switch the kernel and it works fine as long as they are in the game150 folder
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:13 pm

vb_master wrote:I hope you realize switching mode to 1.50 KERNEL changed the actual GAME folder homebrew to 1.50, and GAME303 for 3.03 homebrew. I mean like what is so hard about that?
He said his emulators wouldn't work, I told him what I did when mine weren't working. No need to be all snooty about it.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:58 pm

GAME150 folder....well, I'm an idiot.

Thanks everyone, that did the trick.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:57 pm

3.03 OE-C released

Firmware Updates:
* AVC videos bitrate limit patched. The firmware limited the bitrate of avc videos to only 768 Kbps. OE now forces the limit to be 16384 Kbps. (Note: this doesn't mean than the psp can handle such a high bitrate, this means than they won't show error. I don't know which is the real maximum bitrate than the psp can handle at full speed)
* Speed of OE boot is now ~3 seconds faster than previous versions. (without plugins)
* CPU speed of XMB can now be changed.
* Wifi can now work at 333 Mhz!
* Added access to flash 0 and 1 via usb in the recovery menu, based on the great idea of USBSSS by Booster. Note that writing is enabled, so this is intended only for advanced users that know what they are doing in each moment.(It is not a great idea to change anything from the kd folder). Because of this addition, the rest of flashing options were removed.
* PSP isos can now be deleted as any normal memstick games. (also the size of the iso now shows fine when you press triangle->information).
* When formatting memory stick, GAME150, GAME303 and ISO directories will be automatically created!
* Changes in internal HEN core:
o If a EBOOT.PBP with a plain DATA.PSP had a data.psar, modulemgr took as size of the executable the size of data.psp+data.psar. Fixed. (this fix enables psx games to have plain data.psp without causing a memory error).
o Added a couple of patches found by Tyranid. One allows syscalls instructions to be used in kernel mode without causing a crash. The other allows sceKernelQueryModuleInfo to work with sceInit and previous modules.
Popstation Updates:
* The writing is now a bit different. This will avoid "Memory stick blinking too much" bug when using the plugin to load the 3.02 pops.
* popstation now lets the use of non-encrypted DATA.PSP. If data.psp is in the same directory as the app, popstation will use that as the DATA.PSP of the eboot.pbp. Otherwise, it will use the one from BASE.PBP. A DATA.PSP that imitates the original sony one is included.
* EBOOT.PBP generated with a non encrypted data.psp won't need the file KEYS.BIN at all. (Note: these EBOOT.PBP cannot work in versions prior to 3.03 OE-C due to a bug that those versions had.)
Download: http://exophase.com/files/psp/303oe_C.rar

(originally posted by cyanide at lan.st)

Turbo Tax 1.0

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:00 pm

thanks for letting us know vb 8)
snesp mk4

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:34 am

Now that the 4GB memory limit has been lifted (firmware 2.7 or 2.8 implemented FAT32, iirc) has anyone tried opening a Datel 4GB PSP hard drive and connecting a hard drive of a larger capacity?

I'd do it myself if I knew whether the 4GB microdrive used an embedded drive IDE type communication or standard CF type. I know there is a difference (this is why microdrives from Ipod Mini's don't work in most cameras or PDA's, but do work in computers). Otherwise it would be interesting to, say, connect an Ipod hard drive, or a 2.5 inch laptop drive.

I'd love to make a tablet-notebook formfactor PSP mod, with the hard drive and additional batteries located under a mini-USB keyboard, if only I knew the above details, and if only someone would get around to making a PSP keyboard.

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:37 pm

I actually had a 4 gig PSP hard drive at one point.... payed $150 for it, which was cheaper than the 4 gig memstick at the time. However I dunno offhand who made it. All I know is that it was way too slow to run .isos and the connection between the piece that inserted into the memstick slot and the actual drive was crap. It tore on me within a week and because I lost the box I couldn't take it back. I actually still have the drive, ripped apart from the plastic. I kept it in case I ever figured out how to do something with it. I'd send a picture, but I'm not a picture taking person really and thus have no camera.
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.
"What kind of a monster are you?"
"The kind that killed your family."

Turbo Tax 1.0

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:43 pm

Mageslayer wrote:I actually had a 4 gig PSP hard drive at one point.... payed $150 for it, which was cheaper than the 4 gig memstick at the time. However I dunno offhand who made it. All I know is that it was way too slow to run .isos and the connection between the piece that inserted into the memstick slot and the actual drive was crap. It tore on me within a week and because I lost the box I couldn't take it back. I actually still have the drive, ripped apart from the plastic. I kept it in case I ever figured out how to do something with it. I'd send a picture, but I'm not a picture taking person really and thus have no camera.
datel is the brand i think :)
snesp mk4

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:31 pm

Are they the only ones who made a PSP HD? If so than obviously mine was a Datel... :oops: However I figured there were more than one brand, and thus mine could have been any of those.
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.
"What kind of a monster are you?"
"The kind that killed your family."

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:54 pm

@teraflop122: Those hard drives are on ebay for less than $100, so if cost was keeping you back, it isn't that bad. One for $70 BiN

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Code: Select all

____       __      ____
                               /\  _`\    /\ \    /\  _`\
                               \ \ \/\_\  \_\ \___\ \ \/\ \
                                \ \ \/_/_/\___  __\\ \ \ \ \
                                 \ \ \L\ \/__/\ \_/ \ \ \_\ \
                                  \ \____/   \ \_\   \ \____/
                                   \/___/     \/_/    \/___/

Kingz of da Pwny PSP

úÄÄÄÄÄÃ

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:38 pm

That means a 3.10 OE-A will be comming within a matter of days :D

whiteee

Post by whiteee » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:59 pm

teraflop122 wrote:
If we had a 3d accelerator your asses would be handed to you.
If I had wings I could fly. I don't have wings, and the GP2X doesn't have a 3D accelerator. All asses but your own are beyond your reach.
And isn't the reason most coders even coder for the psp because they are given large sums of money or are bribed with a psp ?
Heh. I used to be rather talented at pulling scatterbrained "facts" out of thin air, but then I turned seven. I hate to be harsh, but the stupidity of this comment demands it.

The PSP attracts coders because the PSP is more visible. I had never even heard of the GP32 or the GP2X until I chanced upon it on these forums, but PSP marketing is prolific.

Not wanting to get in the middle of this argument know next to nothing about both systems... BUT i hav known of the psp since before launch - but only just heard of the GP2X - like teraflop i by chance happened upon it on here.

I read a lot of hard copy - paper - computer magazines, of varying levels and in not one hav i ever seen anything on the gp2x, i agree there may be the possibility its not so well known here in the uk, or i may hav just missed it, i am human afterall. This just clarifies the point though... PSP millions of bucks backing it, big name, big advertising, big potential developer/software base on the back of the original psx alone! All of which contribute to it being so well known and purchased in the hundreds of thousands (millions?) worldwide.

I personally am interested in getting a gpx2 but the big corporate offereing from sony is very appealing - also for ppl that want it to do less than the gpx2 - it does and efficiently. What the gpx2 offers is so much more... its meant to be worked on by the end user. What we have is evolution of games consoles - generally becoming more like home computers of yesteryear instead of having specific usage guidelines. The emphasis is more on total entertainment that just videogaming individually!

any enough babble its getting late. and this was just my OPINION!
First project = A portable arcade cabinet... practical? no... Fun? HELL YEAH!

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:17 am

3.10 OE Released @ dark-alex.org
This is custom firmware 3.10 OE-A

Since it is the first release, it can only be installed as a full installation.

Instructions are as always, oeupdmaker to create the dxar from 150.PBP and 310.PBP, and 310oeflasher
to install the firmware from the dxar previously generated.

Although, it is obvious, i'll say it in capital letters: DO NOT USE ANY DXAR FROM 3.03 OE, USE THE ONE
GENERATED WITH THE INCLUDED OEUPDMAKER AND SONY 1.50 AND 3.10 FIRMWARES UPDATES.

Checksums of the generated dxar:

CRC32: 58D45EDF
MD5: BF1862F73FDF4B7458279ACFF4F6DAA2
SHA1: 683AD0ABA48A7968F3172A5AB2E41CF95A476801
SHA256: 2107EC67CE7434E250FF71AF302430B3586AA4519F3405D43594414B3C940B74

Note 1: the installer will disable all plugins to avoid incompatibilities when booting. You can
enable them again in the recovery menu.

Note 2: the plugin to load 3.02 pops won't work anymore in 3.10 OE, due to some changes in pops
modules structure (meaudio fused with popsman, idcanager/idmanager behaviour slightly changed).
A new plugin for 3.10 could be written next week.

Changes in 3.10 OE-A:

- Change from 3.03 firmware to 3.10

- 4th level of brightness (aka battery eater) can now be selected also without ac adaptor.

- Changes in hen core:

* Static user elf's can now be executed in the 3.10 kernel. (this includes snes user version
between other programs)

* Tyranid's patch (added in 3.03 OE-C) consequences was not explained very well in the changelog of 3.03 OE-C:

- For programmers: it allows kernel modules to have user imports, making kernel programming
in 3.03/3.10 less strict.

- For users: plugins and applications that worked in 2.71 SE, but not in OE, *may* now work in 3.03OE-C
and 3.10 OE-A.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:28 am

Damn, i just finished updating to 3.0 OE-C...Oh well :D