Community Ultimate Portable

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Chwoka
Community Ultimate Portable

Post by Chwoka » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:03 pm

No, I'm not making it.

I already E-mailed Ben with the idea because I was too young to post, but he dosen't check E-mail apparently (I even named it the attractive "NOT a Xbox 360 Laptop request. Don't worry.") So I was forced to do what all the cool kids do: lie about their age!

Anyway, onto the Ultimate portable idea.

What we would do is one person who is a expert on making small, fully functional (that means no missing D-pads or L buttons, N64 people) portables. Oh, and it wouldn't be your job to put all the stuff in place.Or get a screen. Or anything. You can all breathe a sigh of relive(sp?) now. All that undoing cases...scary. Anyway, then they would package it in a box and send it to the next person's post office. They would go pick it up, nad add a new system to it, they would send it back, etc., etc. Eventually, once every system has been put in, the final person would send it in to the Case Maker, who would put all the parts in solid places, choose a good screen, place everything, etc. Then the portable will be done!

What will we do after that? Only nobody knows that. Give it to Ben for christmas? WHO KNOWS?

Anywho, sign up with your username and the address of your nearest post office.

CASE DESIGNER:

Will add more as needed. Sorry for the wall of text.

khaag

Post by khaag » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:41 pm

That sounds like too much work. Why not just build it yoursef? And I think this post belongs in Forum 42 not the news forum.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:59 pm

Because I don't have all the systems. Also, isn't 42 COMPLETLY Off-Topic? This is still about Portables.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Well, completed projects and other big news go in here. Forum 42 is for any topic, portables included.

Don't worry about it. One of the enws mods will move this for you. Don't make another thread about this. :)

EDIT: There we go.

Just read and follow the rules thread and you'll be fine.
Last edited by bicostp on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:04 pm

Sorry. I'm not very informed upon your...culture?

Or lack thereof...

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:20 pm

That's why stickies and announcements were made to be read: http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11768

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:28 pm

Sorry. I should REALLY look at them all.

Anyway, is anyone willing to do it?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:34 pm

Portables aren't big enough projects to warrant 6 or 7 people working on seperate parts.
Considering shipping for each stop would be about $10 on average, you're looking at $70 of wasted money. That's enough for 2 or 3 PSone screens!
We all think differently. Imagine the trouble if someone didn't label every single part of the wiring and someone made a stupid mistake like reversing the polarity on a Li-ion battery.

I think after you build a couple portables you'll understand why Ben wouldn't bother replying. Note, I'm not trying to sound arrogant or put you off, I'm stating the obvious practical implications. It might sound good in theory, but quite bluntly, I don't see what advantages you'd get versus a typical one-man portable.

If you really want to see this take off, find a way to convince the members here that your idea is a good one. Best way would be to build a killer portable. I think you'd gain a better sense of what your plan would entail.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:41 pm

The only way it'd be economical (unless you just want to do a joint project for fun), is if you had each person doing/making the same part 10 times over and shipping all at once. Like 1 person building the case, 1 person modding the guts, and 1 person assembling.
Even having the case make 2 stops (1 person builds, 1 bondos/sands/paints (finishes basically)), then having it assembled wouldn't be too bad. But again, unless you're trying to do portables on a larger quantity it's kinda pointless.

jeep

Post by jeep » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:41 pm

The who keeps it part is also questionnable. I means, before investing at least 50$ in a project, I'd like to know if I'd get benefit of it at the end :wink:

Jeep

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:11 pm

marshallh wrote:Portables aren't big enough projects to warrant 6 or 7 people working on seperate parts.
Considering shipping for each stop would be about $10 on average, you're looking at $70 of wasted money. That's enough for 2 or 3 PSone screens!
We all think differently. Imagine the trouble if someone didn't label every single part of the wiring and someone made a stupid mistake like reversing the polarity on a Li-ion battery.

I think after you build a couple portables you'll understand why Ben wouldn't bother replying. Note, I'm not trying to sound arrogant or put you off, I'm stating the obvious practical implications. It might sound good in theory, but quite bluntly, I don't see what advantages you'd get versus a typical one-man portable.

If you really want to see this take off, find a way to convince the members here that your idea is a good one. Best way would be to build a killer portable. I think you'd gain a better sense of what your plan would entail.
Darn. Guess I didn't think it through. Also, I want to disassemble my PS2 (my only console) to make it portable, but my parents won't let me.
The only way it'd be economical (unless you just want to do a joint project for fun), is if you had each person doing/making the same part 10 times over and shipping all at once. Like 1 person building the case, 1 person modding the guts, and 1 person assembling.
Even having the case make 2 stops (1 person builds, 1 bondos/sands/paints (finishes basically)), then having it assembled wouldn't be too bad. But again, unless you're trying to do portables on a larger quantity it's kinda pointless.
Ok, I'm confused. This was a joint project for fun, so should I disregard this entire post?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:54 pm

Sounds like you forgot to factor in shipping costs. (It would be a LOT, especially for fragile/valuable/heavy stuff.)

Honestly, your parents are right. Don't take apart your PS2 just yet. Start out smaller, like a Nintendo on a chip system, or one of those plug-and-play TV games controllers. (Most cost less than $20.) If you can't afford the parts to build one of these simpler projects, then a PS2 is way out of your league.

Unless of course you're some kind of soldering prodigy...

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:11 pm

...Wow, so I was really over my head, wasn't I?

Oh, and by the way, I would simply be listing the people and the post office adresses.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:46 pm

Well good job for being imaginative, Kudos to you!

But as jeep mentioned, what would we benefit from this idea? Especially if we had to pay postage.

Start out with a NOAC (NES on a chip), or a SNES. Very easy and we have stickies with info on them too!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:53 pm

Nice idea, but it's just not practical. The already mentioned shipping costs, not to mention the fact that motherboards could be fried once they're already wired. It just wouldn't work out. Plus, you'd probably have a hoard of people fighting over it when it's done! :lol:

CTFan