By Hand?!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Geebs61
By Hand?!

Post by Geebs61 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:15 pm

I was wondering what you guys think about how he made that sweet case by hand? I am guessing he used a standard router table. maybe a jigsaw and a steady hand. I thought about doing my case like this, but I havent had the time or money to follow through with it...
"Being a teenager is to experience a renaissance of the body, mind and spirit. It is to experience life at it’s fullest." - Cliff Eiffler

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:09 pm

Yeah, The thing is that it looks like his cnc cases. We'll have to know soon...maybe a rock and a chisel??

Re: By Hand?!

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:41 pm

Geebs61 wrote:I was wondering what you guys think about how he made that sweet case by hand? I am guessing he used a standard router table. maybe a jigsaw and a steady hand. I thought about doing my case like this, but I havent had the time or money to follow through with it...
i think i know how he did this....he MAY have cut the base shapes for the top and bottom, then cut a loooong strip of plexiglass and screwed or glued it to the top and the bottom....then using a heatgun he heated the plexi so that it would flex easily, then just bend the whole thing around the base shapes (top and bottom...) and screw it down and let it cool :lol:

i was gonna use that on a portable i WAS working on...but it wasn't that easy to do with just a candle :twisted:

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:55 pm

Well dont know about you but if you look close at some of the pictures you can see the edge isnt purfect. My guess is he uses a band/scroll/saber/jig saw to cut the face out, you cant have jagged edges like that after using a router (burned, pits or indents).

I'm really interested in what he made the case out of. It may make me change my plans for my PSp.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:38 am

Perhaps...Plastic molding? Either that or Ben's finally got himself a vacuum whatchumacallit.

egomine

Post by egomine » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:54 pm

Maybe he simply heated up plastic with a standard hair dryer. If this piece is indeed for a do it yourself type info, that would be pretty interesting.

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:10 am

well since i dont have a dremal i kind of have to do any of my cuts by hand i use a old pocket knife a stake knife and a sharpened peace of stanless steal from a sp case.. and so far the best has been the stake knife its perfect for holes for new buttons, and some times is ok for cutting through thin plastic parts like a saw.

i think he just cut the sheats and like buddy said heat gunned the side parts. then use a table saw router or dremel to put in button and screw holes. makes sense to me, and he would not have to make those daring trips in to the work shop