Help convince me to get a GP2X

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:09 pm

bicostp wrote:I'm pretty sure the music player is basically a file browser that filters out everything but MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files.

If you have the MP3s arranged in a directory structure, you shouldn't have a problem.

(For example mine are arranged "Root -> Artist -> Album -> Song.mp3".You would need to do something like that.)
Well that's just perfect, as the structure of my iTunes music is very similar to that, and all I would need to do is transfer that over directly to an SD card.

Well, everybody here as pretty much convinced me that a GP2X would be a good idea. So, now I have a few questions regarding purchasing one.

Where is the best place to buy one?

I remember reading a thread on here about a 275MHz version. Is that widely available? If not, is it easy to overclock a normal one?

Is there anything else I need to know before buying one?

Thanks again everybody; you've been a great help.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:22 pm

According to gpnewbie.com, there is no "275 mhz version". It's the same unit.

The only difference is that those machines have been tested and were found to be stable at 275 mhz.

Overclocking is as easy as changing a setting in most programs. (It's all done in software). You can easily bump up the clock speed, however from what I've read faster clock speeds drain the batteries faster, and extreme speeds may potentially have adverse effects on the processor's lifespan.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:25 pm

I got mine on play-asia a week or so ago. the shipping is the only bad thing. And not to be bad towards gp2x.co.uk but I had a hard time trying to get mine from there. They said i only bought the shipping, but i had to email them and the responses took a bit to even find that out. So i just went with play-asia, its cheaper a bigger site, and they sent me candy and 2 five dollar off copuons.

O and I sugest reading up and making a folder to just put on your SD card so you can play right away. Also if you look in the good deals thread they have found a SD card reader for 4 dollars.

Also go to Wal-Mart and get rechargeable batteries. I got a pack of just 4 blue ones that are NI-MH and 2500 Mah for I think 6 dollars.

Also convert some vids for it before hand that is nice. And I can po
isnt you to a good gp2x torrent site to get " homebrew "......stuff.

Thats all I can think off if you need any info Triton is sometime..........kinda usefull. Or I am always here.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:12 pm

Thats all I can think off if you need any info Triton is sometime..........kinda usefull. Or I am always here.
lol, im only kinda useful because the questions you ask me can be answered with a few minutes research! no offence but i wouldnt use you as a trusted source of info, judging by the questions you ask :lol: your best bets for info are the sites bic suggested, another gp2x owner such as myself or TT1.0 or gp32x.com forum! best source for programs and apps is archive.gp2x.de

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:34 pm

Triton wrote:
lol, im only kinda useful because the questions you ask me can be answered with a few minutes research! no offence but i wouldnt use you as a trusted source of info, judging by the questions you ask :lol: your best bets for info are the sites bic suggested, another gp2x owner such as myself or TT1.0 or gp32x.com forum! best source for programs and apps is archive.gp2x.de
Hey.......... I only asked about beat2x and there isn't much around for that.
:lol: O well though, the prob is something dumb I bet.

Ari

Post by Ari » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:37 pm

I thought about buying a GP2X once... it's a nice system, but it can't really do anything that my PSP can't do with homebrew. I would reccomend buying a used PSP (about the same price as a 2X) and downgrading it to play homebrew instead. But that's just me.
Optomists say that the glass is half full.
Pessimist say that it's half empty.
Engineers say that it's twice as big as it needs to be.

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:00 pm

Ari wrote:I thought about buying a GP2X once... it's a nice system, but it can't really do anything that my PSP can't do with homebrew. I would reccomend buying a used PSP (about the same price as a 2X) and downgrading it to play homebrew instead. But that's just me.
Well I hate the price of the memory cards.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:39 pm

definitely a nice portable, I played tons of
Neo Geo and genny on it, kinda bummed me out that snes was lacking though. also kinda bums me out that i had to sell mine to buy the wii :(

battery life kinda stunk though but as long as you didnt use alkalines you would get by with a decent life
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:10 pm

snes has gotten quite a bit better since the last time ive used it apparently, still not 100% fullspeed but getting there, also a 100% fromt he ground up psx emulator and a gba emulator coming out eventually!

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 pm

Well snes runs very good for me. I play it the most. But genisis on it is fun to.

And duke vektar.....etc its just so fun. :D