BLACK FRIDAY! brother got an Olevia 720p, 32" HDTV $313

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Busterblade
BLACK FRIDAY! brother got an Olevia 720p, 32" HDTV $313

Post by Busterblade » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:14 pm

Yeah, so my brother went with my dad and camped out for 12hrs in front of an electronics store (forgot which one - Best Buy or Microcenter probably). Their voucher number was 103 or something out of 175. When they finally got through the line, they picked up the TV. 720p via component, nice design, and a great midsize TV. It fits nicely on his stand, and I let him borrow Gears of War to play on his new TV. And only for a little over $300! That includes sales tax. The price was simply amazing. I don't think you can beat it at all! We're doing some co-op GoW later. When he played Halo 2, we noticed new sounds and details we had never heard/seen before. We also played some multiplayer Pocketbike Racer - but I'm starting another thread for that. It'll be quite interesting to those who haven't heard about it already. I decided against getting one since I want an awesome 1080p set with HDMI 1.3 for the ultimate PS3 experience. I think I'll have to wait a year though. Still, it was a great deal.

Forgot to mention, I stayed up all night to see the TV. I finally crashed at 7, and they got back at 8! I didn't get out of bed until 3.

EDIT: What were your Black Friday experiences?
Last edited by Busterblade on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:34 pm

Ask about other peoples black friday adventures so this topic, which has great potential, doesn't go by the way of the spam monsters.

I wanted to go out myself (most sales start at 5, I just wouldn't sleep the night previous), but I'm recovering from a surgery and can't drive. Not much really peaked my interest tho, just a few keyboards (musical, not typing ones) and a few games. Gameboy Micro I saw was $35 at toysrus! :eek:

Amazing deal for your bro as well.

Busterblade

Post by Busterblade » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:40 pm

That's a nice price for a Micro! I'd rather just play DS Lite though. If it could play old Game Boy games I might've gotten it. The screen is pretty small too. Eventually I'll get one of the new SPs with the brighter screen for all my old games. How bad was the surgery?
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:57 pm

$35 for a Micro? No way!!! Anyone know if it'll continue for the entire weekend?

CTFan

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:59 pm

nope, your SOL and JWF for a cheap micro Chrono.

I have never had myself a black friday experience.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:03 pm

how often do you americans have a black friday? i joined the forums barely a year ago and this has come up a couple times...

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:04 pm

black friday is the day after Thanksgiving. The 1s offical shopping day for christmas

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:29 pm

its also a freaking madhouse, imagine your local big store or mall on a busy day...

...then double that and you will be getting close, and this is at like 6am :lol: we were gonna try and get a 19" lcd for 180 but couldnt be arsed to get up at 4am to get to target before everyone else lol. thats an AWESOME deal on that olevia, those are pretty nice tvs and retail for a bit over 600 normally. one of my friends got a 52" HD rear projection tv for 500$ at walmart, the lucky dog

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:42 am

i got a virgin mobile slice for $20 and some dvds and some free stuff.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:01 am

Well my gp2x came in the mail so I forgot about thr whole black friday thing.
But I dont think I would have bought anything because I'm broke.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:04 am

so then what do you call december 26th

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

warmachine

Post by warmachine » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:22 am

42" HD Plasma to play Gears of War on: $1067.20...

3.5" External 250GB Hard Disk [it's for 190-somethingGB of music]: $40 after rebates...

2GB SD card for a friend's new camera [she's going to England]: $40 after rebates...

Your lame step-cousin who works at Best Buy telling everyone in his entire family and group of friends that they had 45 PS3s ready for Black Friday and having many of them wait in line from 5PM to 5AM only to turn out they never had any to begin with: Priceless.

[No, I did not wait in line.]
NUCLEAR

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:42 am

I went at midnight, went to wallys world, meijer then I checked out the two local best buys and saw that there was people camping in a line 70+ft long. So I bought some slippers, some hot cocoa, went home, went to bed, and got up at 8:00.

I put on my slippers, drank some hot chocolate, and bought Flight Sim X for $25, two DVD's for $10, and bought a 19" wide screen Hanns-G LCD monitor and watched TV.

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:00 pm

this last black friday wasn't the best. I don't know what it was, I think it's mainly because I owned all the "specials" that I would have gone for already.

I got in line at 0415 in front of toys r us and was out with my $35 gbm less than five minutes after they opened. then I headed to target and stood in the line for their 0600 opening and got a couple Flashback2 units for gifts. I would have looked into more of their deals, but I couldn't think of a use for any of it. I guess I did pick up the first season of 24 for $16--which IMO should be the price for all TV previously given free. $40 a season for miami vice, my butt.

the target digital photo frames (and everybody else's) have the wrong aspect ratio (usually 4:3 instead of 3:2), so I passed there. and for the bigger screens, I've got enough lcd garbage already. what's the sudden draw to LCD's? they go on deep sale every other week anyway. seriously, they must cost nothing to make.

they're also really hard to find in the proper (4:3) aspect ratio, tending to go more toward a variety of useless widscreen formats. [rant]the point of 'digital' was to increase average-joe's picture quality, which it has done everywhere except widescreen TV's because he sets them on 'fat-mode' every flipping time. This is mostly because he doesn't want to own up to the fact that he paid so much for an LCD with the effective screen space of a 13" TV[/rant]
anyway I do like LCDs a lot, they're cheap, and small with 'decent' picture quality, but now that I'm using them, why the heck can't they start making 9" deep computer desks and entertainment centers. the point of them is to save room, I don't want bulky furniture anymore.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:21 pm

Well, I went to office max trying to pick up a wireless router and a 3 headset wireless phone deal, but they were out by the time I got there. I picked up 2 1GB sd cards for $12/ea. and 40 AAs for $2 though. Seems like a lot of stores around me didn't have as much good things as usual.