Nextgen Game Boy Rumormongering: "Game Boy Evo"

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Busterblade
Nextgen Game Boy Rumormongering: "Game Boy Evo"

Post by Busterblade » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:56 am

I was curious as to the fate of the Game Boy line, and I found this: http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/16/so-wh ... -game-boy/
This is an old article, and everything is just speculation. Some people were predicting a 2006 release date, which obviously isn't happening. Unless Nintendo decides to storm us by unleashing a top-secret product within the next 38 days. But 2008 was mentioned as the latest time, so we'll just have to wait. If the Game Boy Evo (short for Evolution) is released, will you buy it, even if you already have a DS? I know I'll play both systems, plus the Wii.
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:52 am

well, nintendo at first wasn't sure if the DS would fly or not, so they pulled this garbage like: "the ds isn't a replacement for GBA, they are two parallel handheld lines" and they started talking about the next proper nintendo handheld.

now it's become obvious that the DS was actually a replacement for GBA, and that nintendo is, as always, totally full of bunk, since they stopped making first party games for GBA some time ago.

it will be a very long wait for the next *real* nintendo handheld, if it even comes, and even then who is to say it will be branded with the "gameboy" name or something more annoying. I'm thinking 'PiiWii'. In any case, I think nintendo's next handheld will be some other kind of 'alternative' gaming experience getting farther and farther from two buttons and a d-pad. I personally doubt we'll see another gameboy. and even if we do, it wil be so far from what gameboy was it won't be worth touching.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:20 am

The DS Lite is awesome, I really don't know what "incremental" improvements Nintendo could really do for it, so I hope they stick with it for awhile.

Nintendo needs to take a success like the DS Lite and JUST LEAVE IT. If you make too many hardware upgrades you piss people off, like Sega did in the 90's, and then one day they just stop buying.

-Ben

PS: Playing Tetris DS, Wi-Fi, is the BOMB. Anyone else play this, I could post my friend code. Does that go by unit or is there a different code per game/unit?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:26 am

hey, i have a copy of tetris ds on my... ahem... hard drive ;)

im definitely down for tetris if people post some friend codes. i dont know how the whole wifi thing works, but im sure ill adapt. maybe ill get it set up this weekend and post my code

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:31 am

timmeh87 wrote:im definitely down for tetris if people post some friend codes. i dont know how the whole wifi thing works, but im sure ill adapt. maybe ill get it set up this weekend and post my code
same here

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:33 am

benheck wrote: PS: Playing Tetris DS, Wi-Fi, is the BOMB. Anyone else play this, I could post my friend code. Does that go by unit or is there a different code per game/unit?
There is a different code per game, which is one of the annoyances of DS WiFi. Also, about your saying how awesome the DS lite is and how Nintendo couldn't/shouldn't try to make it any better, I have a DS (not lite) and my sister has a DS lite. Now I'm not sure if this is simply because I got my DS first and am used to it, but whenever I play on hers, my hands cramp up after a few minutes of gameplay. Anyone else have this gripe?
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:00 am

I agree that they have to wait a little longer to release a new handheld and that's probably what they are going to do anyway, but I do think they should keep the Dual Screens and the touch screen on the next handheld. I do think Nintendo DS is actually a part of the Gameboy Series, but Nintendo just changed the name because people might think that Gameboy sounds to old. Nintendo DS is an entirely new name which attracts much more attention (similiar to the Nintendo Wii).

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:00 pm

Just everyone stop talking about it until Nintendo actually releases a portable Dreamcast okay...?

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:32 pm

Maybe we could do a section where we post all our codes/contacts for this sort of stuff. Or people could work it into their sigs.

So if I had a different copy of Tetris DS on the same DS, they'rd be a different code?

-Ben

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:37 pm

benheck wrote:Maybe we could do a section where we post all our codes/contacts for this sort of stuff. Or people could work it into their sigs.

So if I had a different copy of Tetris DS on the same DS, they'rd be a different code?

-Ben
Yes i think you would. Unless you loaded the save of your old copy onto the new one with a action replay.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:19 pm

benheck wrote:So if I had a different copy of Tetris DS on the same DS, they'rd be a different code?
Hmm... at one point, I borrowed my bud's Mario Kart, before I bought it, and then I bought a copy... I believe that it changed, actually...

Oh, and didn't Nintendo already confirm: No More Game Boys!

Eh, kinda: http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=1021

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:34 pm

Skyone wrote:Oh, and didn't Nintendo already confirm: No More Game Boys!

I kind of figured that and it really makes good sense. However that doesn't effect the fact I still feel rather lied to by nintendo.

and while I'm still pretty anti DS, I'm really thinking of buying one now that it's not such a bulky piece of junk anymore and gaming companies have been releasing lots more *2d* software for it, and lots of software that pretty well ignores the stylus or uses it for secondary functions. DS is capable of an 'okay' 3d experience, or a totally mindblowing 2d one. It's nice to see more 2d.

$99 is my price for it, so I'll be waiting for another price drop, or else a less bulky 3rd revision. (yes, I still think the dslite is too fat, and needs to throw up more after eating)

odd that I'm dragging my feet given that my gba *ahem* "backup" hardware all transfers right over and gives me a whole new library of games. BTW, I just bought my second GBM today at the toysRUs $35 sale--I love GBM most of all... naturally the $35 sale means that it's very nearly dead and after this holliday season it will probably be impossible to find.

siegeshot

ds stuff

Post by siegeshot » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:46 pm

*warning, long, sorry*

The ds lite digs into my hands much like a nes box controller. I'm pretty sure the other DS did it as well. I upgraded to the ds lite mainly because it was... lighter. har har.

I play in bed a lot, hold it over my head. The original DS was way too heavy to do that, even after months it still didn't get any easier, the lite was like a dream come true, especially after being able to hold an SP over your head for hours. Anyhew moving on.

I remember the Advance 2 that was supposed to come out parallel to the DS. (Pretty sure that was the name at the time.) No clue where the articles were but it doesn't matter cuz Reaperman basically quoted it word for word exactly how I remember wherever I heard it from. So I know I'm not crazy.

Not sure what happened to it. I have the distinct feeling it was a load of hooey also. I remember reading that thinking what the... They just announced the micro, DS, and then were all like we have an Advance 2 coming out. My first thought was, I just bought a DS, and it could be obsolete in 6 months, everyone hates it, they're preaching doom and gloom about the screens busting in 6 months, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. But I held out, I have my lite, and I could care less at this point if they ever came out with a new system, because as far as I'm concerned the DS is pretty much perfect. The only stuff I could see it needing is maybe ya know, faster, stronger and an internal harddrive would be awesome. Right now if you turn it off it loses all the demos you have saved on it. :( Or let your Wii be able to send out all the demos. (Don't have one, maybe xmas)

In regards to the codes to find people on the gameboy net, every card has a unique code, every DS has a unique code, they connect to each other to make a 3rd unique code and when you connect to the net it assigns that to your username and thats how it works. If you ever give your cart away, or buy a new gameboy you're out of luck unless you follow the directions that are on nintendo.com to exchange the codes.

Funny side story here, didn't find out until I had already traded in my old DS for my new DS. So I went back to the place, found my old one in a pile of everyones old ones that they'd turned in for their lites, and did it and it worked. Stunned everyone at the Game Crazy. And they all did it with theirs also including some customers after that.

Tetris online rocks, if we end up getting some ds online little spot here on the boards I'll share all my codes too and we can do some Tetris, Metroid, Starfox. I don't think anyone plays LostMagic or the first Tony Hawks but I have those also. Erm, last thing I promise, I have my Jump Ultimate Stars coming, online 1v1v1v1 Japan cartoony kind of Smash Bros. but with anime chars. Dunno if anyone else is getting that. :/

If anyone is still reading, I'm not a fanboy of anything and can make up my own mind. Oh yea, also, I forget which podcast, but there was talk about crappy voice recognition stuff, I think the only one I played on the DS with voice recognition was Nintendogs, and after 3 tries you were locked in and good to go, and it worked well from what I remember.
Listened to all the ben heck/sonic boom podcasts and liked them too and stuff. Erm, anyway. Hope this helps. :P
-siege

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:19 am

I have never had a post that long. Wow. Yah he is right i forgot about the info transfering from your old ds to the new one.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:47 pm

Skyone wrote:
benheck wrote:So if I had a different copy of Tetris DS on the same DS, they'rd be a different code?
Hmm... at one point, I borrowed my bud's Mario Kart, before I bought it, and then I bought a copy... I believe that it changed, actually...

Oh, and didn't Nintendo already confirm: No More Game Boys!

Meh, I really don't think that means no more Game Boy, just no more parallel Game Boy line while the DS is in power. With the vast market Game Boy has in name alone (in my house at least, Game Boy is synonymous with video games) Nintendo has no choice but to release a handheld with the name somewhere along the line.

CTFan