Why are you here?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

warmachine

Post by warmachine » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:26 pm

I read about Ben's original 2600 VCSp in, I believe, EGM way back in the day (2001/2 I guess) and I checked out his classicgaming pages the second I got home from the grocery store where I read the article in the magazine section while my mom was picking up a brisket for a barbecue. Mmm, memories. :)
NUCLEAR

JAY

Post by JAY » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:26 pm

Although I had seen that one portable N64 that I think was the first one made (it was really huge and in some sort of clear tacklebox) a while ago, and knew that I wanted to make one eventually, I stumbled upon this site because I was looking up any info about myself and my friends that happened to be on the internet. Coincidentally, one of my friends is named Ben Heck. I joined once I decided to start making my N64.

DeathJr89

Post by DeathJr89 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:43 pm

a friend of mine showed me this site, along with portables of doom saying "you have to see the sick things that they do, it seems like your sorta thing" and its true! except my kind of thing doesnt turn out quite as nice.

so anyway, i watched as a guest for a month or two, then joined up and im still in the "planning/finding a screen" phase of building an N64 portable, and a Genesis 3 portable as well.
This fall...
Death strikes twice...
wOOt

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:54 am

I was browsing some other forums and one topic was "What will you do with your cube?" referring to what you'll do with your Gamecube when Wii (then Revolution) comes out. One dude there said that he would "portablize" it, just like he did with his N64. I thought that was insanely cool and instantly googled "portable n64", eventually linked to Ben's site, lurked the forums for a while, and here I am.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:11 am

Before this, the only forum I used was gamefaqs (which isnt really a forum) and there was a link to this site on here. I thought it was awesome, and signed up.

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54 am

I found Benheck when searching for a pic of the Genesis main board. I didn't dare to open my Genesis cause I thought it would break so I bought an extra one. Now I fried one and I'm working on the other one.
EDIT: lol, I just saw that my join date is december 8 2005, which is exactly one year before the European release of the Nintendo Wii :D

ransoman

Post by ransoman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:15 am

I found out about the site in a british gaming magazine, i forget which one though, (think it was a retro special or something).

Joined with the intention of making several mega drive portables, i have the materials to start, just need the time.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:47 am

Sometime last year i was reading Edge (oct '05) magazine and they had an article reviewing all the plug in and play TV games and it had a little section on how people had added keyboards and disk drives to the C64 DTV and how "Scene celebrity Ben Heckendorn" had attached a screen and cartrigde slot to the Radica. I Thught that that was neat, but wasnt too bothered.

But it did remind me of something i saw along time ago (02/ 03 maybe). There was a link on milkandcookies.com (dont bother looking i think the link is dead) about someone who made a portable N64 (ran of 8 AA batteries i think) which got me thinking about what other consoles you could do, and SNES popped into my mind so i typed "Portable SNES" into gogole and came up with Bens Extreme tech guide

After a brief overview i what i acctually need to do i came here to ask some questions which now in hindsight were very noobish :lol:

This also makes me realise ive been here over a year now

and that SNES is almost done :lol: (really this time)

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:17 am

I was bored one day and starterd a google image search for "NES" and this came up:

Thinking "WTF?" I clicked it, and thus history was made.

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:29 am

I found a link on emutalk to an N64 portable on these forums (that one we were all drooling over before the Leet64). After I found the site I bought the book. Then I joined the forums.
Dr. Gregory House wrote:Good lord, are you having a bowel movement or a baby?

Rototiller

Post by Rototiller » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:03 pm

stuff4free.net

there's a theory that you can go anywhere on the internet starting on one link. I tried going from there to a game site in under 15 minutes. I felll through the voids of time and space and landed her :mrgreen:
what sig? i don't see anything...

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:12 pm

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a portable PS2, so I googled it and in image search, I found pics of ben's portable PS2 and I was like OMG! This is the coolest day of my life. Then I looked around and found the book, joined the forums, and here I am, and I'm finally working on a PS2p but don't tell anyone, I haven't told anyone yet and this time I won't post a topic until this portable is almost done.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:27 pm

Read about Ben in the Popular Science article. Ordered the book first and studied it all summer. I later found the forums and joined immediately. As a result, I've learned loads about electronics and have completed an SNES and have 2 PSOne projects (yes, two - you'll see soon), an Atari project, and a SuperJoy III project all half-completed.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:43 pm

I found some stuff Ben did and then was like, "OOoooh! A forum!" And I joined. I haven't actually made a portable yet though. I fried all the parts I need to build one though. And then I ran out of money. :?

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Busterblade

Post by Busterblade » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:01 pm

This brings back memories. I found this site maybe 2 years ago. But I only noticed the forums last summer. I joined when school started up and my laptop was delivered to me along with a bunch of other students in the lecture hall. And then, as I looked around at the blinding glare of white Mactels, I thought: "White sucks."

And then a faculty techwoman said that they had a limited number of blacks available for $150 extra. I grabbed one after school, lurked in the forums, and then finally joined. This was around the time that I joined the Marathon Phforrums, and mrfixitonline.com's F-Zero forums.

I'll be sticking around. This forum is considerably larger than most, and I hope it stays active for a long time, even in 2078, when the PlayStation 9 is scheduled for release. This goes far beyond what you have seen before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcmtDAVM-3A

This is not fake, I am serious, it was produced by Sony and run on network television before the PS2 launch. I'm young, and I'll be around in 2078, assuming the Second Coming doesn't come first. If it doesn't, when 2078 rolls around, I'll be sure to teleport mine at launch :D.
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.