Wii hits store demos! I'm Lookin at YOU Ben!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

JAY

Post by JAY » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm

atari2600a wrote:It's on now!
No, let it be known that I was not ripping on bicostp; there were just some things that I wanted to bring to his attention.

sameguy

Post by sameguy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:08 am

As am I
ahh. but opinions can change and facts can be faulty.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:14 am

JAY wrote: Of the one-fifth of the population that this will actually affect, none of them are required to buy new televisions, since they can just get a digital tuner instead (although some may buy new TVs).
Well, I'm part of that one-fifth. Four or five years ago-ish, when we were buying a TV, the sales guy was going on and on about how fantastic (and obsencely pricy at that time) HDTV was and how if you bought a normal one you wouldn't be able to watch TV in a few years. We asked him when broadcasts would be solely in HD. He said 2006. It's been delayed many times, and I doubt analog TV broadcasts are going away anytime soon. They would just get people too confused. The general public does not want to have to screw around with a digital tuner just to watch TV. I wouldn't mind it, but my grandmother sure would.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:15 am

A digital tuner costs 300€ here (which is more than 300$) and that's the tuner alone! You have to pay like an extra 40€ a month to actually get tv shows. And if you have multiple tv's (like a lot of people do) then you have to buy an extra tuner for each tv to watch digital.

I'm sorry to say so, but I think that's a lot! I think tv looks fine the way it does now and I don't want to choose when I watch a tv show either or I'll get even more lazy.

The tv commercials say you can watch the news any time you want if you have digital television. But I've been able to do so ever since I had internet!

Seriously I don't know if it's worth all that money just to be able to watch the news any time you want.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:31 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Well Jones, I think that it's just a matter of time until the Wii's graphics get pushed to the edge, and start looking more like a "next-gen" system. I must admit, Twilight Princess does look pretty, but it's no PS3 (or even 360) graphically. Not saying graphics make the game, but they sure help. Just give the developers time to get used to the new programming aspect; I guarantee you they'll get significantly better, as all 3D systems do.

Also, I'm gonna be camping out at my local Target for my Wii, spending the night in a tent outside. I'm getting TP for sure, and Red Steel if I have enough. And should I stumble across some VERY good fortune, I may also pick up an extra Wiimote :wink: I am really excited for this!

CTFan
Oh, I definitely agree with you that a system cannot be judged by it's launch titles. They are just the tip of the iceberg. The great stuff comes later when, as you said, the developers find ways to get more and more out of the system. Oftentimes this can be seen most obviously in game franchises. Look at the graphical leap that the Gran Turismo series made when GT4 came out as compared to GT3. Also, Star Wars Battlefront 2 looks light years better than the original (I'm comparing Xbox versions since that's what I played). So, I'm sure the Wii will have the same track record. The next Zelda will undoubtedly look better than TP and if Red Steel is successful, Red Steel 2 will look even better yet. :)

Speaking of developers hitting their stride with a console... Have you seen the trailer for Gears of War yet? I know you're not big on MS, but this game really does look amazing. Apparently the trailer was rendered with the in game engine, so what you see is what you get. I'm going to find out tonight if it is more than just a pretty face.

Here's to hoping I won't be disappointed! :lol:

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 pm

I've seen IGN weekly ( :? ) and Gears of War looks really good.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:37 pm

My conversation with GameStop:

GS: Blah blah blah, something about buying and selling used games (How do they say it that fast!?)
Me: Hi, uh, do you have a Wii demo thing?
GS: Nosir.
Me: Do you know when you're getting one?
GS: Nope.
Me: Okay... Bye.

I really want to try out the Wii!!!

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:56 pm

jones wrote: Speaking of developers hitting their stride with a console... Have you seen the trailer for Gears of War yet? I know you're not big on MS, but this game really does look amazing. Apparently the trailer was rendered with the in game engine, so what you see is what you get. I'm going to find out tonight if it is more than just a pretty face.

Here's to hoping I won't be disappointed! :lol:
Gears of War does look fantastic. I was skeptical at first, as I thought like it would just be a spin-off attempting to milk the Halo-esque (which is overrated, by the way) sceneto fill the void until H3, but it definitely looks like its own entity, and a damn good one at that. One of the things on my growing list for reasons to buy a 360... :wink:

CTFan

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:01 pm

I haven't seen one yet, but my friend did and played one. he says the controllers aren't tethered, but the clerk keeps them behind the counter and you have to trade him your ID to get a controller.

I'll just make a fake ID, and as soon as they hand me that controller I'm out the door. (One guy got an xbox 360 controller before launch and made almost $100 bucks selling it.)

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:55 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Gears of War does look fantastic. I was skeptical at first, as I thought like it would just be a spin-off attempting to milk the Halo-esque (which is overrated, by the way) sceneto fill the void until H3, but it definitely looks like its own entity, and a damn good one at that. One of the things on my growing list for reasons to buy a 360... :wink:

CTFan
I had my reservations about GoW (much the same as the ones you mentioned) as well, but then I read the reviews and saw the trailer and became more and more convinced. I noticed one of the people on my friends list had it last night, so I asked them their thoughts. They said simply "It rocks." So I guess I'm sold now. :)

I agree that Halo is incredibly overrated. I even mentioned it in the last podcast, so I guess I'm officially on the record with that one. :lol: Believe it or not, I have never even played Halo 2. Just haven't had the interest.

Is one of the other reasons on your list Blue Dragon?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:32 pm

jones wrote: Is one of the other reasons on your list Blue Dragon?
:lol: It's actually the biggest one! The very idea of a game made by the CT team builds anticipation....

And the hope for Star Wars Battlefront III and Kingdom Hearts III for the 360 only help it out all the more!

CTFan

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:40 pm

where did hopes for KHIII on 360 come from? I sereously doubt that that will happen, but still Gears of War looks TOTALY FREKIN' AWESOME!!! I sereously am considering buying a 360 just for that game.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:50 pm

XPCportables wrote:where did hopes for KHIII on 360 come from? I sereously doubt that that will happen
You don't pay much attention to what SE says, do you? :lol: They've already announced their distaste and distrust with Sony, and has said that they may multi-platform their mainstream titles. Which basically means will they put their games on 360.

CTFan

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:58 pm

And possibly wii *crosses fingers*

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:40 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
jones wrote: Is one of the other reasons on your list Blue Dragon?
:lol: It's actually the biggest one! The very idea of a game made by the CT team builds anticipation....

And the hope for Star Wars Battlefront III and Kingdom Hearts III for the 360 only help it out all the more!

CTFan
I have high hopes for a new Battlefront game on the 360. I loved the first 2, especially the second one. I can't even begin to count the number of hours I've logged playing that game. :D
XPCportables wrote:where did hopes for KHIII on 360 come from? I sereously doubt that that will happen, but still Gears of War looks TOTALY FREKIN' AWESOME!!! I sereously am considering buying a 360 just for that game.
When I went to Circuit City yesterday to pick up GoW there was a guy in front of me that was buying a 360 and GoW. Unfortunately, there was a shipping delay on the new releases, so me and that guy have to go back today to pick it up. It was interesting to see the "Game that sells systems" theory in action though. So it would appear that you would not be alone, if you were to buy a 360 simply to play GoW. :)

If the stars align, perhaps I will give a review of it during our next podcast depending on time constraints and what not. 8)