Question about vintage Macs

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

blackbox_dev
Question about vintage Macs

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:39 pm

What was the first Mac with a 1.44MB floppy drive and internal HDD?

Thanks,
-iam7805
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:14 pm

All but these models have Superdrives:
  • - Early SEs
    - Early Mac IIs (some did, but in order to upgrade you needed additional hardware)
    - 128k (one of only two Macs with a 400k drive)
    - 512k (the other Mac with a 400k drive)
    - 512ke
    - Mac XL (The Lisa 2)
    - Plus
The Mac Classic DOESN'T have an 800k drive, because usbcd36 said so.

I think the first is about a tie between the IIx and SE/30, but according to "MacWorld Mac and Power Mac Secrets Second Edition" (a book), the IIx is older than the SE/30. (I'm going by the first models to come with a 1.44 MB SuperDrive from the very first model to roll off the assembly line, not pugrades.)
Last edited by bicostp on Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:34 pm

I've got an Mac SE FD/HD that has a Superdrive and 20 MB harddrive! woot 8)

(I think it might have been the first, according to Mactracker...)
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:04 pm

bicostp wrote:The Mac Classic MIGHT have an 800k drive, but I'm not exactly sure.

I think the first is about a tie between the IIx and SE/30, but according to "MacWorld Mac and Power Mac Secrets Second Edition" (a book), the IIx is older than the SE/30. (I'm going by the first models to come with a 1.44 MB SuperDrive from the very first model to roll off the assembly line, not pugrades.)
Bicostp is correct in that the Mac Classic series used 400/800k disk drives, and the Mac IIx was the first to have the Super Drive (1.2/1.44MB drive). Soruce
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Actually, no. The Classic had a SuperDrive (SuperDrive = 1.44 MB floppy).

The IIx was the first to have a SuperDrive though.

Any further questions can be answered by Mactracker.

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Kinda OT, but I saw an awesome looking classic mac going for around $30 in town. It was called a "studio" mac or something in a clear acryllic case (like an CRT imac but prettier) I thiought it might have just been a monitor, but it had USB ports in the side. Awesome looking machine though, too bad I don't know enough about them to learn on a japanese machine. I may still buy it though...
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:04 pm

That was just a monitor, an Apple Studio Display. Apple has a long-running tradition of including USB hubs in their monitors, the 15" LCD and 17" and 20" CRT Studio Displays were the first to do so.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:21 am

It had an odd plug on the back that I'm guessing went to a mac then? It looked like a 17", but it was in the "junk" section of the store which could mean that it's either so old the store doesn't want to warranty it or that it's untested and maybe broken.
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:39 am

psychotic_mechanic wrote:It had an odd plug on the back that I'm guessing went to a mac then? It looked like a 17", but it was in the "junk" section of the store which could mean that it's either so old the store doesn't want to warranty it or that it's untested and maybe broken.
Probably an ADC connector. Apple used them for a few years as a proprietary display connector before they finally gave up. It simply combined DVI, power, and USB connection into one cable. Good idea, but had it's downsides.. :wink:
 My iBook's modded logo!

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:33 pm

They required expensive adapters for use with DVI ports, and you couldn't fit two ports on one card (so they came with one ADC and one DVI).

They made a smart move with the new breakout cables, but they end up making the back of the computer look junky, and because they take up a FireWire port each, using two displays requires you to adapt your FireWire 800 port down to a 400.

If they would include cable-routing clips with displays (to stick into the perforated case), and move the ports to locations where cables would reach perfectly, it would be much nicer. Heck, even just routing clips would be great.

Actually, it'd be pretty cool if there were a few power connectors for the displays on the backs of later Mac Pros. Ditch the clunky adapter, y'know?

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:06 pm

usbcd36 wrote:They required expensive adapters for use with DVI ports, and you couldn't fit two ports on one card (so they came with one ADC and one DVI).
The adaptors weren't that expensive at ~$120, and they're definitely not as bad now at around $60 or $70.

I'm going to hook up a 22" ADC Cinema Display with the ADC to DVI adaptor sometime later this week when my flashed GeForce 5200 FX comes in! :D

The abandoned format lives on!
 My iBook's modded logo!

MaDnEsS
Portablizer

Post by MaDnEsS » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:41 am

i have a couple of apple 2e's are they worth anything :?: