Sony's Lies

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod
Sony's Lies

Post by jones » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:16 am

Are they really this desperate? Check out what the "fact finders" over at engadget have to say about Sony's Next Gen "Fact Sheet".

http://gaming.engadget.com/2006/10/19/s ... costs-700/

It's pretty sad how they think they can tell bold-faced lies about both Nintendo and Microsoft's products to retailers/consumers and get away with it.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:26 am

Well, in order to make the two consoles roughly equivelant it's necessary...

The 360 ships with a regular DVD drive, right?

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:13 pm

yeah it does bic. I think that it is a fairly accurate comparison feature to feature of the two consoles. It's great when you try to figure the premiums feature to feature though.

Premium PS3 $600
Blu-Ray drive $0
Wi-Fi $0
60GB Hdd $0
Free online $0

Total $600

Premium 360 $400
Hd-dvd add on $200
Wi-Fi add on $100
2x extra 20GB hdds $200
12 month xbox live membership $50

Total $950
Last edited by XPCportables on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:14 pm

bicostp wrote:Well, in order to make the two consoles roughly equivelant it's necessary...

The 360 ships with a regular DVD drive, right?
That is true, but the HD-DVD drive will not be used for gaming in the 360. It is only for watching movies, whereas the Blu-ray drive is required for gaming on the PS3 hence it is in both systems. Depending on one's point of view this could be seen as an advantage for the PS3, but forcing in the HD-DVD in a price comparison when it has nothing to do with the gaming prowess of the system? Seems a little shady to me.

If they wanted to make a more accurate comparison they should have compared the 20GB PS3 to the Premium 360 which comes with a 20GB HD and a wireless controller. Oh, and sorry Sony, but you don't have to pay for online access with the 360. This is only required if you want the Gold package.

It's interesting how they chose to make their comparison with the Core 360 that would cost the most to make it equivalent to the 20GB PS3, rather than basing their comparison on the Premium 360 that has all of the same features as the 20GB PS3 sans Blu-ray drive.

The reason they did this of course is because people would have seen that they could buy a system without next-gen DVD from MS for $100 less than a next-gen DVD enabled system from Sony.

That wouldn't have looked nearly as sexy, nor would it have had that garish $200 price difference that they wanted to show off in their "Fact Sheet".

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Well, ths doesn't hide the fact that the Wii is still only half the price of the cheaper PS3 :P.
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:18 pm

Gamelver wrote:Well, ths doesn't hide the fact that the Wii is still only half the price of the cheaper PS3 :P.
True. :) Just remember though, that according to Sony, online access for the Wii will cost you money after the first 6 months. :?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:11 pm

P.S. -In the interest of fairness, it's also worth pointing out the Wii browser is what will cost you after the first 6 months -- not their online service. What's more, if you download the browser before June of 2007, it's straight up free. Otherwise, Nintendo hasn't yet announced details of the cost of their online service so far as we know. Another nice one, Sony.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Triton wrote:
P.S. -In the interest of fairness, it's also worth pointing out the Wii browser is what will cost you after the first 6 months -- not their online service. What's more, if you download the browser before June of 2007, it's straight up free. Otherwise, Nintendo hasn't yet announced details of the cost of their online service so far as we know. Another nice one, Sony.
Exactly my point. :) Perhaps my sarcasm was lost in the void of the Internet. :lol:

The language Sony chose is making it sound like the online service is what is going to cost you money 6 months down the road. One of many lies Sony chose to perpetuate via this "Fact Sheet".

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:38 pm

And if i'm correctly informed sony's core edition of the ps3 will not have a hdmi port. So playing blue ray disks on it is useless. (movie disks)

Fanboy

Post by Fanboy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:45 pm

Well, yes, these "facts" are in fact, fabricated. This is probably due to the fact that they are likely trying to develop some kind of edge over the other consoles... This is more of a nescesity, however, because of the outrageous price gap between the system. Sony realized it was an astronomical possibility that they'll lose customers on the deal, and needed to make their deal seem the most reasonable....
God Bless Hot Glue

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:51 pm

no jeroen you are not correct, the core PS3 has an HDMI port as of TGS 06

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:58 pm

Oh I didn't know that. My bad. (damn I hate it when that happends :( )

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:44 pm

and doesnt the wii always have free internet?
It says first 6 months

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:08 pm

Can't say I'm really suprised. This is the company that a year ago put a root kit in their music cds, made it hard to get the fix off their site, and really opened your computer to massive attacks by hackers. Sony's PR is going down the tubes fast and really you can't blame them for playing this game again, they did it when they were releasing the PS2. Problem is that they're comparing a damned dedicated gaming computer to video game consoles, they don't really mech that well.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:10 pm

ganonbanned wrote:and doesnt the wii always have free internet?
It says first 6 months
As far as we know the Wii will have free internet. This is one of the many things this PS3 "Fact Sheet" attempts to mislead consumers on.