Pokemon Tenth Anniversary

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

NES_fanatic
Pokemon Tenth Anniversary

Post by NES_fanatic » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:03 am

Dear god, it's only been around for ten years? It seems like eternity!
I know that there's a decent amount of Pokemeon fans who frequent these forums, so I thought I should let you all know!
I was a huge Pokemon freak back in the day. I collected all those cards and would like to play everyone at the pokemon games, I'd watch the show all the time. Those were good times. In retrospect I feel really lame, but I was happy then. :D Now that it's this old It kinda seems sold out to me. There must be 1,000 Pokemon now and every episode I've seen on TV while flipping channels has the same plot: The gang meets somebody who owns a coal mine/wildlife preservation foundation/does something with nature, and they have a single rare pokemon that they use to knock down trees/dig/run in a power generating treadmill, and then Team Rocket steals the Pokemon and the gang recovers it with an electricity-enduced explosion, then walk along their merry way.
Oh, sorry about that run-on sentence, I'm just kinda through with Pokemon nowadays.
But just for kicks, here's my favorite Pokemon:
Anyone with a frontal lobe should know who it is.
Discuss!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:44 pm

I HATE THAT DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!

My original copy of Blue Version is forever lost because of missingno. :sad: Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Hey, did anyone ever do the Mew cheat in the originals to get a Mew? Loved that. And it was actually real! Do you realize how many hours in my young life I spent looking for that stupid "Pikablu"? A TON!!!!!!! :lol:

Long live Pokemon.

CTFan

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:48 pm

Missingno was awsome! But my game was messed up so instead of Missingno, there was a guy named Cheif. And he had like 3 different versions of Missingno.

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:02 pm

That thing kind of looks like the demonic spawn of two Tetris pieces.

I can't say I was ever all that thrilled with Pokemon, but apparently it's still reasonably popular. At least they came up with a franchise that can stand the test of time, unlike, say, the Power Rangers. (How they're still around is anyone's guess.)

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:02 pm

Ah, I remember when I got Pokemon Red! (just when Pokemon Yellow came out) I was at that one cave right before the Pokemon League, & then one day & turn on my Super GameBoy to see that my data has been corrupted!!!!!!

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:16 pm

Ha good memories good memories. I remember getting pokemon blue
I got it with a green gameboy my favorite colour. On my birthday I was so happy!

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:42 pm

Missingno...the days. What is this about Pikablu?
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

vb_master

Re: Pokemon Tenth Anniversary

Post by vb_master » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:06 pm

NES_fanatic wrote:There must be 1,000 Pokemon now
Actually it's around 493.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:11 pm

that was by far the best fad i ever got sucked into as a child, i have many fond memories

i even still have my cards (waiting to rip some kid off and sell them for loads :lol: , plus im a compulsive hoarder and never through anything away)

i got as far a silver before it lost its shine and passed onto the fad graveyard along with gogo's and yoyo's amd the power rangers (the original ones at least)

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:41 pm

I didn't know he had eyes... ;)

If anyone can name the error in the script that caused Missing No, I will seriously give you a half of a buck.

-Not edited by Skyone or anything.

Long live Pokémon! And I'm talking about numbers 0-151, and maybe some of the Gold/Silver Pokémon, but 493 Pokémon is far to much.

And ever since they started making EX cards or whatnot, and since Pokémon cards stopped being produced by Wizards of the Coast (almost said West Coast Customs...), the cards have been sucking like a vacuum or some sort of Prostitute.
Last edited by Skyone on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:51 pm

Holy cow, I never realised that pokemon was that old! Brings back some good memories.

I did that mew trick. Its pretty sweet. I found a level 7 Gengar by doing that trick but instead of battling the youngster with the slowpoke, I battled some other trainer. Dont remember which one though. :)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:04 pm

Skyone wrote:Image

If anyone can name the error in the script that caused Missing No, I will seriously give you a half of a buck.

-Not edited by Skyone or anything.
:lol: Sky, I wouldn't say that! It's now universally known that Missingno was a glitch left over from the Beta version of Pokemon, and he was used to test the battle parameters of all the other Pokemon in the game as a completely neutral force. In a sense, every Pokemon game has, at one point, had its own version of Missingno; just that in the originals, it was not deleted. Anyways, I know for a fact that there are people out there who have identified and labeled the source code for Missingno and made it readily available, so you may wanna take back those words before you're out $50! :lol:

CTFan

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:52 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:I HATE THAT DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!

My original copy of Blue Version is forever lost because of missingno. :sad: Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Hey, did anyone ever do the Mew cheat in the originals to get a Mew? Loved that. And it was actually real! Do you realize how many hours in my young life I spent looking for that stupid "Pikablu"? A TON!!!!!!! :lol:

Long live Pokemon.

CTFan
My friend has my playing red version again heh, are you talking about the mew cheat in yellow or something else entirely?

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:54 pm

anything after crystal sucks

anything but the games crystal and before suck.

I know someone thats 21 and is still obbsessed :shock:

sam

Post by sam » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:03 pm

wtf is crystal.... Blue ftw.

Why Does MissingNo Exist?

As I was researching the Mew Trick, I found and compiled a list of Pokemon Hex Numbers from gamefaqs. Notice the blank spaces in between the Pokemon names? Maybe these were Pokemon that were deleted before the game was released. These are the spaces where MissingNo lurks in the programming code! If you check the list above (of letters that match with hex values), you will notice that the order is exactly the same (this is the order in which all Pokemon were created - with Rhydon being the first Pokemon ever made). It just so happens that the letters you use for your trainer name make up only part of the complete list. The full list can be accessed using the Mew Glitch or a GameShark code.

256 is a common number of possibilities because computer coding is done in Hexidecimal, which is base 16. (Decimal, which the average person uses for math, is base 10). Beyond the numerals 0-9 are the letters A-F. Early GB games use 8 bits of data to program (a bit being either a 0 or 1 - binary number system - base 2). Hex is a simplified way of writing out binary (because no one wants to fight with strings of 0s and 1s).

The highest possibility in binary is 11111111 = FF = 255. Of course, the lowest possibility is 0. This gives the 256 possibilities for Pokemon spaces, and doubtless is at least part of the reason that there were only 151 Pokemon. Later games use more advanced programming, which allows for many more. Some of these spaces were used to program other Pokemon (like MissingNo). In the original R/B games, the 256 slots are filled with both Pokemon and trainers. This is why certain symbols (like the Male/Female symbols) will cause glitched trainers to appear. However, in G/S only Pokemon occupy 251 of the possible 256 slots (there are glitches residing in the remaining slots, but these can only be found using a Gameshark).

I couldn't tell you where the other glitches came from (I'm speaking of the glitches .4, A, PokeManiac, PkMn, and others that can be found using a GameShark - these are sometimes referred to as "PokeGods" since their number is higher than 151) These Pokemon have no actual form and immediately turn into Rhydons once you catch them. It is said that you can train these Pokemon if you catch them twice, but some people report that catching them at all crashes the game. Sometimes these Pokemon are called made-up names like "Anthrax" or "Beepin". It is doubtful that they were ever Pokemon at all (although 'M and MissingNo are - you can catch them, battle with them, and teach them TM/HM moves right away - you only need to catch them once).

The "256 possibilities" also explains why you can level a glitched high-level Pokemon up to 255 before they revert back to level 0, and why your maximum time in the game is 255 hours - it will NEVER hit the 256th hour.

And thats why missingno exists. Ill pm you my paypal account.
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.