Ben's most recent HOW-TO: Add an analog stick to a PSP

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:53 am

Sweet!!! (for both the mod, and the news) I might going to have to start visiting Engadget again, now that theres something for me to go for. Can't wait to see what you'll cook up.

ransoman

Post by ransoman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:42 am

toby dawg wrote:cool but it would make the psp too bulky also grahf whats that gameboy looking thing in your avatar
It is a NEC PC engine GT (it has a few names, that is the only one i remember). They are very popular with handheld collectors (and worth a fortune too).

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:19 pm

Man oh man the comments on Engadget drive me crazy! Silly people and their silly opinions... :roll: Ha ha I like the pic with the "magnification". That's classic Ben stuff right there. Well done!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:36 pm

ransoman wrote:
toby dawg wrote:cool but it would make the psp too bulky also grahf whats that gameboy looking thing in your avatar
It is a NEC PC engine GT (it has a few names, that is the only one i remember). They are very popular with handheld collectors (and worth a fortune too).
Thanks... ive never seen one before... :?

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:43 pm

toby dawg wrote: grahf whats that gameboy looking thing in your avatar
It's a Turbo Grafx isnt it?

well the Portable version at least

nonzero

Post by nonzero » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:44 pm

Great mod, now is there a way we could remotely control the other buttons/dpad as well and fully control the PSP with an external Dual Shock pad?

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 am

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:01 am

Yeah, my friend wants me to do this for him, but only when there's a tutorial for making it an attachment, not a "dangling pile of crap" or whatever Ben called it. :roll:

Ness

Post by Ness » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Ben, are you going to make the second part of that tutorial? Making a cool attachment for it?

Also, apparently, someone is claming they made an attachment for this via mini usb connection. If this is something that can be deemed possible, do you know how it would be connected for us to achieve this?

[quote=ransoman][quote=toby dawg]
cool but it would make the psp too bulky also grahf whats that gameboy looking thing in your avatar[/quote]

It is a NEC PC engine GT (it has a few names, that is the only one i remember). They are very popular with handheld collectors (and worth a fortune too).[/quote]

The other name, in the US, is the Turbo Grafx Express! I want one so badly!!! =D
Future WIP - X360L

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:34 pm

ive seen the mini usb one, its very slick indeed

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:50 pm

It just uses a mini usb plug for connecting, there's no special interface.

Ness

Post by Ness » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:25 pm

NES_fanatic wrote:It just uses a mini usb plug for connecting, there's no special interface.
Is there a proper way of connecting the wires to the mini usb plug or as long as the four wires meet exactly, it should make no difference?

example:
Future WIP - X360L

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:26 pm

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:31 pm

Well it's a nice follow up. I can't say I feel any smarter of anything really positive after reading the comments. It's a wonder that those people have the intellegence to master the ability to type or at least hunt and peck.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:24 pm

Genius! A removable analog stick encased in a can of jerky, who but Ben would have thought of that. Crazy.

When you mention painting it, you might also note that most paints will not stick to that kind of plastic (polypropolene). But paints made for that kind of plastic such as Krylon's Fustion line of spray paint will work perfectly.

Also, wouldn't something like a tin can of tuna be a bit more sturdy? I suppose it would be a bit harder to cut metal though, so something plastic would be better suited for this. It might also have been a bit easier to reach the R trigger if the analog stick was higher up, but that's nitpicking.

Awesome job. I can't wait to see what comes next! I gotta admit, I read half your stuff just for the humor and tech knowledge, not even noticing what you 're building. :P