The Radio Was not invented by Marconi!!!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

*$cuba $teve*
The Radio Was not invented by Marconi!!!

Post by *$cuba $teve* » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:24 am

That's right, Bill Gates is to Steve Jobbs, as Marconi is to Tesla.

Most of you have never heared of Nikola Tesla, but he invented the alternating current, the Tesla coil (it's in every CRT tv), vertical take-off, electric vehicles, charged particle beams, robotics, wireless transmission of electrical power (no need for batteries), ect. and last and but not least the radio.
Tesla was losing his patents to J.P. Morgan, while marconi was sending wireless trans-alantic messages! Tesla was discredited so badly, he died poor, in a hotel, as a 87 year old virgin (as is 40's bad enough).
8 months after Nikola Tesla died, the Supreme Court decided, that Marconi's patent was null and void!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:32 am

If you know anything about Edison's DC current history you know that him and Tesla were rival and damn near enemies.

It is a shame that Tesla never received anything like the credit he has now during his lifetime. He was a self taught physicist, who spend several years on developing Alternating Current, and showed it to Edison. Edison in his arrogance thought it was useless and wouldn't touch it.

Also Telsa coils are not in TV screens, you might be thinking of electron guns. A telsa coil is really nothing more then a static eletric generator. It has a belt that goes form the base to the sphere and this belt goes across a series of brushes. The eletrons/eletricity is collected on the surface of the sphrere. So if you were to go and touch it you' ge a small, maybe painful zap. If you put your whole hand on it your hair would stand up (like Einstein).
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Don't see why anyone wouldn't know of tesla, especially on these forums.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:13 pm

yeah, who HASN'T heard of Nicola Tesla :P...
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:46 pm

Gamelver wrote:yeah, who HASN'T heard of Nicola Tesla :P...
He has to be my favourite inventor. :) Edison was a fool.
It has a belt that goes form the base to the sphere and this belt goes across a series of brushes.
Thats not a tesla coil either. Its a Van de Graf generator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graf_generator

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:53 pm

"Power On!"
"Shocking!"
"Got Juice?"
"Burn baby Burn"

:lol:

Good ol' Tesla coils, what acctually are they (i have my view of them warped by Red alert)

P.S dont worry if you dont get the quotes, they're not that good :wink:

Kenny_McCormic

Post by Kenny_McCormic » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:35 pm

sparkfist you are thinking of a van de graf
there is a flyback trnsformer in every crt which is basicly a porly tuned mini solid state tesla coil

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Tesla coils and Van de Graff generators are like night and day in difference.

The Tesla coil is a large air-core transformer (uses no iron in between the first and second coils. Take a good look at one; the primary coil is only a few turns of wire, while the secondary(the long tall one in the center where the discharge comes off) is between 200 to 1000 turns of wire, resulting in an incredible boost of voltage.

BTW, Unlike Van De Graff generators, Tesla coils are LETHAL, as it is real household current boosted up to super-high voltages.

SNESguy
If all else fails, take it apart!

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:15 pm

A while back I read a book on Marconi. If I remember correctly, Tesla was working on a project that involved telegraph signals "jumping" between closely spaced parallel wires, a primitive form of wireless communication.

Marconi took his idea and ran with it, adding in the idea of an antenna and amplifying the signal, so that his machines could transmit up to a mile or so in distance. So I guess you could say Tesla came up with the idea, but Marconi was the one who really made the first useful radio.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm thinking of the British Head of Technology (or something) at the time, not Tesla.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:13 pm

There are people who haven't heard of Tesla? :|

Meh

Re: The Radio Was not invented by Marconi!!!

Post by Meh » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:29 pm

*$cuba $teve* wrote:That's right, Bill Gates is to Steve Jobbs, as Marconi is to Tesla.

Most of you have never heared of Nikola Tesla, but he invented the alternating current, the Tesla coil (it's in every CRT tv), vertical take-off, electric vehicles, charged particle beams, robotics, wireless transmission of electrical power (no need for batteries), ect. and last and but not least the radio.
Tesla was losing his patents to J.P. Morgan, while marconi was sending wireless trans-alantic messages! Tesla was discredited so badly, he died poor, in a hotel, as a 87 year old virgin (as is 40's bad enough).
8 months after Nikola Tesla died, the Supreme Court decided, that Marconi's patent was null and void!
In CRT's the "Tesla Coil" Is nothing like teslas original coil designs.
Sparkfist wrote:If you know anything about Edison's DC current history you know that him and Tesla were rival and damn near enemies.

It is a shame that Tesla never received anything like the credit he has now during his lifetime. He was a self taught physicist, who spend several years on developing Alternating Current, and showed it to Edison. Edison in his arrogance thought it was useless and wouldn't touch it.

Also Telsa coils are not in TV screens, you might be thinking of electron guns. A telsa coil is really nothing more then a static eletric generator. It has a belt that goes form the base to the sphere and this belt goes across a series of brushes. The eletrons/eletricity is collected on the surface of the sphrere. So if you were to go and touch it you' ge a small, maybe painful zap. If you put your whole hand on it your hair would stand up (like Einstein).
I know you are an admin but why post if you don't know the difference between Tesla and Van De Graaff. Why can noone spell his name correctly?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:37 pm

they have similar outward appearance (long rod shaped shaft toped by a large sphere shaped thing) both involve electricity. its a pretty easy mistake really

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:00 pm

TESLA!!!! You can ask Jones, just about every new movie idea I've come up with in the past few years involves Nikola Tesla, specifically the "death ray" he supposedly made and tried to sell to the US goverment during WW2

Eventually they did change the patent to respect Tesla, but not soon enough to keep him from dying penniless.

I have also considering making a movie called "War of the Currents" in which Edison and Tesla have secret battles and stuff. Then of course, when Edison finally gets his cummupance he screams "TESLLAAAAA!!!!" (explosion)

-Ben

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:01 pm

lol, sounds good :P

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:02 pm

That... would be so..... schweet!