How Long Before a Wii Lawsuit Hits?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

How Long After Nov 19th before there's a Wii lawsuit?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:44 pm

1-3 days
3%
A week
10%
2 weeks
10%
By the end of the year
48%
NEVER!
30%

Total votes: 63

benheck
Site Admin
How Long Before a Wii Lawsuit Hits?

Post by benheck » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:44 pm

[all console warring/bashing aside...]

You've got a system that relies heavily on wrist movement, arm movement, standing in front of a TV and well, movement. Plus there's a nunchuck attachment that presumably can be swung around, well, like a nunchuck.

Lamps will be smashed! Wrists will become sore! And people will sue! Come on, this is America! That's what we do!

So, how long do you think it'll take after November 19th to happen? Let's poll and find out! Go nuts with this, we have unlimited bandwidth now - what do I care???

The poll will close on the release date, so we can then watch and see!
Last edited by benheck on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:57 pm

I think that they'll come next March-April, so I just voted NEVER until we add more options.

:P

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:58 pm

lol, reminds me of the rotate the joystick minigame in mario party, IIRC they didn't have it in future games because of health problems :P

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:00 pm

What, the freaking spin the joystick to make the Shy-Guy fly? Ya, I literately burned a hole in my hand with that.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:06 pm

Heck, I live in California, the land of lawsuits! I bet the first lawsuit will either come from Sacramento or Los Angeles!

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:10 pm

haha...Ben made a ryhm

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:09 pm

I say it will be pretty quick.

I bought one of those gyro-mice for my computer and it killed my wrists for the first 30 or so hours of use. Aches and pains when I hadn't touched it for days. Nintendo will put a bunch of warnings on it, like they did with the virtual boy, and will probably include some kind of auto-pause feature, but I'm pretty sure some californian will come up permanantly disabled within a very short period of time.

I also don't think the world will be happy with the level of control and ease of use that gyro products provide. that button on the bottom isn't for show. it activates the gyro. get used to holding it down. (I'm sure it can be locked on, but that gets *REAL* annoying)

kidw/32+systems

Post by kidw/32+systems » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:33 am

I thinking more of, When your swinging the Wii-mote the nunchuck slips from your hands flies off and KOs your little bro, or some retard leaves the mote-chuck in a baby crib/floor and the kid staggles themselves like the BK pokeballs.

Its like the end of the world you don't know when, how, or where but it will happen.
PlayChoice games 50/54 37 toppers

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:53 am

Keep in mind, it doesn't have to be a lawsuit with any merit or one that makes sense (so yes, could come from California) it just HAS TO HAPPEN and make the news.

Like that guy last year who sued Microsoft because his XBox 360 was DOA in the box.

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:12 am

anotherperson wrote:I did not know about the button-enabled gyro, I thought it was always on whenever the controller was in operation. Where is your source for this info?
it's exactly how my gyration gyromouse works, and I noticed there was a trigger on the bottom of prototype wii/revolution controllers in the same spot that my mouse has. Before I owned the mouse, I thought it was an n64-style z button, but now I'm pretty sure it's the gyro activator. Once you handle a gyro, you realize that you have to center/activate the gyro quite often because it would be impossible to use without a way to center (your arm would be unable to shake, adjust position, droop or rest at all). You can lock it 'on' but you still have to pick a center position first.

there looks to an awful lot of similarities. it may even be licensed from gyration.

at first using it, I attempted to hold my wrist up with the other hand when I got tired (like early wii reviewers), but now I just rest it on my leg sitting down. even then, it's a lot of effort, and wears my wrist very quickly.
I can do a few hours of solitare, but it hurts afterward for a good day. If you want to try one, you can get the gyration ultra GT on ebay for only ~$30 and the newer 'GO' mouse for ~$70.

if I had to guess, the gyro is doomed to either flop, or be used as a 'secondary' controller function. (use the d-pad for useful control and shake the controller to cast your _____ spell)

Imagine if squaresoft released FFVII&5/8 or something with full gyro support, and some moron tried to play all 40 hours of gameplay in one sitting. It'd probably kill all sensation in his fingers for good. yes, I imagine a marathon RPG session would do it.
Last edited by Reaperman@home on Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:19 am

Gosh, Ben, you're so so pessimistic about the next generation....
Skyone wrote:What, the freaking spin the joystick to make the Shy-Guy fly? Ya, I literately burned a hole in my hand with that.
They kept that challenge in mario party 2, but now you have to mash A and B. I always win.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:00 am

I still say those games are to make you wear out your controller, so you have to get a new one :P (really, those joysticks can get way too loose)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:10 am

benheck wrote:Keep in mind, it doesn't have to be a lawsuit with any merit or one that makes sense (so yes, could come from California) it just HAS TO HAPPEN and make the news.

Like that guy last year who sued Microsoft because his XBox 360 was DOA in the box.
Or the guy who was trying to sue Apple over possible hearing lose from the iPod having no limiter on volume (from the earbuds).

Really I wouldn't be suprised if someone like Hilery Clinton tried to sue Nintedo as the Wii controller is teaching and being used as a weapon, to hurt other kids... Or if that suit was brought up by public enemy #1 "Jack Thompson".
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:43 am

i voted by the end of the year, because people are greedy and want lots of money without doing any real work (i know i would :lol: )

The question is whether or not they'll win, i reckon one will be brought to court, then with any luck, laughed out again :lol:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:55 am

To tell you the truth, I don't know if there's even going to BE a Wii lawsuit. Although your points are all valid and quite viable, look at Konami's DDR. That's a VERY interactive game, and requires a ton of physical movement, and no lawsuit yet. Besides, even if there were one, come on; you're taking on NINTENDO. Plus, the disclaimer for using the Wii controller is probably longer than Ted Kennedy's rap sheet.

CTFan