How Long Before a Wii Lawsuit Hits?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

How Long After Nov 19th before there's a Wii lawsuit?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:44 pm

1-3 days
3%
A week
10%
2 weeks
10%
By the end of the year
48%
NEVER!
30%

Total votes: 63

khaag

Post by khaag » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Reaperman@home wrote:I say it will be pretty quick.

that button on the bottom isn't for show. it activates the gyro. get used to holding it down. (I'm sure it can be locked on, but that gets *REAL* annoying)
Well your right about one thing, the button is not just for show... but it is not used to activate the gyro. Thatbutton just so happens to be the "B" button.

Please don't state things like that when you don't know for sure. Remember kids, when you "assume" you are putting the "ass" before "u" and "me"!
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:53 pm

you're right, assumptions did seem to have had that effect on some people anyway. :lol:

but I still think lawsuits are comming. oh, they won't be good lawsuits, though. according to IGN that zelda game is quite a lengthy rpg after all.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:16 am

I wouldnt really call Zelda a RPG, its more of a action/adventure title :wink:

official xbox fiend

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:31 am

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/21/erra ... -tvs-life/

Congratz. :shock:

I personally don't even use a strap, or a controller grip guard. and I swing hard.

Marionut#1

Post by Marionut#1 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:54 am

Hmm is it just me or are TVs being more cheeply made. I remember breaking more remotes by throwing them at the TV screen back in my day, and the darn TV never broke. I dont think this helps either:

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:15 pm

Just because of the switch from CRTs, guess people don't like having that 1-2" of glass on the front weighing them down :P

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:43 pm

I'd say LCD's would be in the most danger. Projection screens have plastic, it's thin but flexes. CRT's of course are thick as hell, you can actually bounce .22 bullets off them (yes, fired from a gun, not thrown)

But LCD's have the glass RIGHT THERE.

Granted anything can be thrown at the screen, but a controller that's meant to be pantomimed, well, the projectile possibilities increase.

-Ben

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:25 pm

benheck wrote:CRT's of course are thick as hell, you can actually bounce .22 bullets off them (yes, fired from a gun, not thrown)
You know this from personal experience? :D

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:33 pm

Plasma's are the most in danger. It doesn't take much to take out a whole section of the screen. A good tap will take out a chunk.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

A_Username

Re: How Long Before a Wii Lawsuit Hits?

Post by A_Username » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:56 am

benheck wrote:[all console warring/bashing aside...]

You've got a system that relies heavily on wrist movement, arm movement, standing in front of a TV and well, movement. Plus there's a nunchuck attachment that presumably can be swung around, well, like a nunchuck.

Lamps will be smashed! Wrists will become sore! And people will sue! Come on, this is America! That's what we do!

So, how long do you think it'll take after November 19th to happen? Let's poll and find out! Go nuts with this, we have unlimited bandwidth now - what do I care???

The poll will close on the release date, so we can then watch and see!
They were just talking about this on CNN like 5mins ago. One newscaster was talking with a gamer whose little cousin had cracked the remote on top of his brother's head while playing the boxing game for wii. Nintendo didn't know they were supplying children with weapons. Better watch out for an angry gamer with a wiimote, it's a good as a nightstick for them.

-Derek

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:36 am

It's official. On Attack of the Show they said that Nintendo knows that the wrist straps were faulty, but they didn't say what Nintendo plans to do about it.

Another good reason not to buy a console at launch. :)
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:35 am

*shrug*

Has anyone here broken anything? I know I haven't.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:14 am

Skyone wrote:*shrug*

Has anyone here broken anything? I know I haven't.
I doubt anyone here has (or would admit to it if they had), but I think that anyone who has played this system can honestly say that they can see how someone could break something playing it.

Hell, Ben noticed that I almost whacked the Wii Remote on a table that was nearby while we were playing Bowling and I thought I had plenty of room. Plus, I noticed that the controller does get slippery pretty quickly from the sweat of people playing it.

It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility for someone to break an LCD screen or a lamp with it. And that strap is pretty flimsy. Once we got a look at it we could see why they were breaking. The strap that goes around your wrist is pretty nice and beefy, but the "string" that goes between the wrist strap and the controller has the look of something that won't hold up for very long at all. Especially if you've got little kids swinging the controllers around by the straps (which you know they'll do) and what not.

I'm not saying that any lawsuit against Nintendo is right, but I'm saying that the conditions are right for some idiot to break something and then think that a lawsuit is a good idea whether it has merit or not.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:36 am

bicostp wrote:
ShockSlayer wrote:Lol, ben made a spammy topic.

COME ON!

Noone is dumb enough to sue over this bs. I mean, even if they did, Shiguro miyamoto would be all, "Its yo problem *****. Read the dang disclaimer."

Or, when you turn on the wii, it will be like turning on the ds. lol

SS
Ben has every right to spam if he wants to. After all he pays the tab... :P

Remember, people started suing companies like McDonald's for causing their obesity...
With all the movement caused by the Wii, people will probably start suing when they lose weight.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:16 am

Yes I can definitely see how this can happen. We played Bowling and to make it work WELL you had to give it a pretty beefy swing.

Maybe the gazillion warnings during the games will shield Nintendo a bit, but that cord is hella flimsy.

We're putting up a mini podcast RE the Wii later today. Overall verdicts:

Wii Sports: Bowling/Tennis good, rest crap. Would be fun for a party.

COD3: Actually harder than using a real gun, except maybe for the reloading of an M1 Garand (which is very hard in RL) I found it almost unplayable.

Zelda: 3D Zelda games aren't my or Jones's cup of tea, so we didn't really care. Controls felt tacked on.

-Ben