DSL just may be worse than 28K modems...literally.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj
DSL just may be worse than 28K modems...literally.

Post by demonofaj » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:55 pm

Meet me, a happy internet leet haxorz, lawl. OK, jokes aside, here's the 'lowdown'.

About a week ago, I've noticed that my DSL has been lagging like hell. As in it is like 56K (*sigh*), then it's been persisting. I do a broadband check...you guys won't believe it. My download speed is 23 KBS, and 350 KBS is my upload speed.... :shock: Just know that DSL, the package I ordered is 768 KBS, is 23 even close to 768...yup. So I need some troubleshooting help...and the Tech Support, nada, they're not helping crap. Also, Norton seems to be screwing around, because sometimes I gotta disable it just to access the net (yes, even at that speed)...well, help, please. I can't get any work done and what not.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

totokan

Post by totokan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:58 pm

Check for background processes using up internets spyware,adware,virus,etc.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:02 pm

Actually, now that you think about it, Norton keeps on pulling up this piece of Spyware called: Marketware.spyware, apparently I keep on removing it..but it ALWAYS comes back! I think this is probably it...what should I do if even Norton can't get it? Get spybot? Because downloading 6 megabytes is taking a while now.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:07 pm

demonofaj wrote:Actually, now that you think about it, Norton keeps on pulling up this piece of Spyware called: Marketware.spyware, apparently I keep on removing it..but it ALWAYS comes back! I think this is probably it...what should I do if even Norton can't get it? Get spybot? Because downloading 6 megabytes is taking a while now.
Open up msconfig (run>"msconfig") and look in the currently running stuff (I can't check now, but its the second tab from the right) and find and disable the bad program. My dad's laptop had some program doing something similar, and I did that and the internet works at full speed now.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:15 pm

no offence dude but your an idiot, yea thats low for 768k but 768k is NOT an indicator of your download/upload rate it is your CONNECTION RATE, you should be downloading at around 60-80kbps at the best, i hace 384kbps dsl and i download on average around 35-50kbps, if you had 28.8 speeds you would be downloading at mebe 1-2kbps. my words of advice, make sure EVERYTHING you own that connects to a phoneline except your dsl modem are filtered! that includes fax machines phones satalite recivers etc, we were getting bad crap like that when we upgraded to 384 because our dish network box wasnt filtered

vskid

Post by vskid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:38 pm

Triton wrote:no offence dude but your an idiot, yea thats low for 768k but 768k is NOT an indicator of your download/upload rate it is your CONNECTION RATE, you should be downloading at around 60-80kbps at the best, i hace 384kbps dsl and i download on average around 35-50kbps, if you had 28.8 speeds you would be downloading at mebe 1-2kbps. my words of advice, make sure EVERYTHING you own that connects to a phoneline except your dsl modem are filtered! that includes fax machines phones satalite recivers etc, we were getting bad crap like that when we upgraded to 384 because our dish network box wasnt filtered
He said it just recently started lagging, though. I get about 200kbps with my neighbor's cable that I get wirelessly (when it works :roll: ).

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:54 pm

I admit that I am starting to get a bit more noobish, but a total idiot...that hurts :-|. :-P But openly accepted, seeing that you are a mod, whereas I am not. OK, about the thing I wrote about download speed, the website I went to, said itself, that it's the same term (I guess in their book) as connection speed. And I am gonna say again, I'm getting connecting speed of 28 KB/s, and downloading takes 2.8 KB/s approx, so you win a cookie for correct estimation. Vskid, I went to msconfig, and I saw no peculiar programs, so that is ruled out for now.

Well, time for this idiot to go

Small update, I went back to my house to see my registry history, and I am seeing lots of er, sh!t there, as in things that have the words adware and spyware in the name...and that always equals something bad. However I'm not tinkering with anything, anyone want to see a Hijackthis report and such.

Another update, seeing my download history, with 768 KB/s, I got a download rate of 30-20 KB's.

More Update, the site said upload rate is that, don't know why.

Yet another update: I checked all of our lines, nothing's wrong, and that's the weird thing, it just happened out of nowhere.

Final Update: Here's the site, that Triton flamed me about for using it's terminology. I'm sorry Triton.

HA! Did the idiot lie? Probably not, or maybe he just can't understand it. BTW: This is from my neighbor's comp (have to finish some work)

vskid

Post by vskid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Exit out of all your internet using programs (and prefferably all unneeded ones). Then open the task manager and go to the networking tab. Check if that network is being used, and if it is, the culprit is likely the one in the processes that is using the most processing power (this is why I said to close all unnessisary programs). Just be smart before you start killing processes, killing windows explorer and other important processes doesn't help you.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:09 pm

Sweet im getting praciticly all the speed i...err, my parents paid for. I know what your going through. At my school the speed can drop at any time and it is so crappy. It took 20 minutes to load google today :shock:

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:11 pm

that speed test (by ookla, relaible for sure) shows your connection rate, your actual download rate will be less about like i said, if you are connecting at 28kbps you should call your isp and try and figure out what the deal is also you connect about 3x faster than i do >.> i pay for 384k dsl i get 420kbps down and 260k up pretty nice lol

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Well, I just ran S&D, and not Norton, they found so much crap in my registry and computer, my computer is back again, thanks for the negative motivation :P

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:28 am

I got 4811 kbps down, 359 kbps up. I guess they just keep upgrading my connection speed? O.o
Warranty-Voiding fun!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:49 am

I had a simalar problem were at one time my Cable internet was going just a little faster then dialup. The problem disappeared when we replaced the Linksys router (we use a U.S. Robitics now). I would suggest checking the settings on the router and possibly reflashing the firmware before you up and replace it. If those don't work remember that most Switch/Router combos are like $35 or something close, not expensive.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

totokan

Post by totokan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:56 am

Cool test. I got 6664 kbps Dl and 425kbps Ul
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:03 am

I got 2004 kbps dl and 338 kbps ul. It was about 3000 dl yesterday.