Anyone know anything about RF Generators?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

csurban
Portablizer
Anyone know anything about RF Generators?

Post by csurban » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:39 pm

I recently got an old RF Generator (or so I think) from my dads friend. I know a tiny bit about radio waves and radio transmissions but have no idea how to work the RF generator. Here’s a pic of it...
Can somone tell me what some of these various knobs and switches do? or at least refer me to a place or someone else who does? I really want to try it out with my friends. :wink:
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

BradLancaster

Post by BradLancaster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:36 am

wow man that could be pritty usfull, like If you can get it to brodcast (even a few feet) VHF or UHF vary illegaly i supose you too can have your own pirate TV stations!! ( huge dream of mine, that and landing on mars with a ducatti maby gold plated machine guns two freaky chicks and a never ending blunt) a man can dream right?
Cennar rest in peaces.
1986-2006

the Benheckendorn forums
2004-2005
may she never be forgotten
yeah as far as im concerned its been dead since then

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:09 am

if that thing really does a 455khz to 10.7mhz sweep, you can hook it to a big antenna and use it to jam AM and shortwave radio.

*warning: this is illegal*

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:08 pm

Be careful with that... I know someone (he's actually a teacher) who got warned by the police for using it. They can track you down in no time if you try broadcasting something.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:08 pm

You'll have to stick a clock crystal into the socket that says XTAL. I know that. And my guess is that the socket that says 50/60 hertz is composite video out. If there are any part numbers on it, try googling it.

EDIT: Those sockets that say GND need to be grounded somehow. And the RF antenna socket is for... you guessed it! The broadcast antenna.

Just guessing here, but trying what I say probably couldn't cause too much harm. :P

EDIT EDIT: The huge knob probably selects the broadcast frequency/channel?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Wow, I read that that thing uses vaccum tubes! Might want to check if all of them work, because those things are easy to kill! (Vaccum tubes are pretty much transistors, except they use gas instead of silicon or something like that. Very old)
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:08 pm

So now i know that its a television signal transmiter (I thought it was AM/FM transmiter :oops: ) can anyone tell me how to hook it up and use it? I really want to try it out and see how far the range is! And where did you find info on it like that it used vacuum tubes?
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

totokan

Post by totokan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:10 pm

Well, you need a licence to broadcast with that. With the new broadcast standard coming soon (or is it already here?) that thing won't even be legal for anyone, since licenses won't go out anymore.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:34 pm

I just want to try it to see it it works and the range of it. I probably will sell it on eBay afterwards...

totokan

Post by totokan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:44 pm

Well, you'd need an antenna.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:48 pm

csurban wrote:I just want to try it to see it it works and the range of it. I probably will sell it on eBay afterwards...
\

if you really dont want it you can give it to me...

I opened this topic thinking it was about rfgeneration.com, and awesome site.