Buying a wii/PS3 at launch?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

What ya gonna get?

Wii all the Waii
68%
PS3! PS3!
No votes
Both!
5%
Meh. Neither.
27%

Total votes: 44

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:24 pm

jones wrote:
Klefmung wrote:I still consider me playing the 360 cheating on my lover....
But, three is company
But what a lover the 360 is! :lol:
jason, would you happen to live in wisconsin? I live in mukwonago, im just wondering because your bens friend.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:09 pm

ganonbanned wrote:
jones wrote:
But, three is company
jason, would you happen to live in wisconsin? I live in mukwonago, im just wondering because your bens friend.
You bet. I live in the sleep little hamlet of Belleville, just south of Madison. To top that all off Ben and I went to the same high school growing up and eventually through some strange train of events I wound up in "Port Washington". Which was, by and large, a good time. I would definitely do another one, Ben willing. :lol:

Whereabouts is Mukwonago anyway? I could look it up on Mapquest, but what fun would that be? Conversation is the spice of life after all!

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:12 pm

>.> Oh, by the way, I bought the PW dvd just to see you in the supermarket and scifening gas (you know the scene) on my tv in betterthanmp4 quality. <.<

Oh, and isn't the ps3 being launched around the wii? Wasn't that the wii's strategy? Like, same week or something?
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:33 pm

i'm pretty excited about wii, it should be fun. i'll get one shortly after launch (that's when i'll get a job so i can afford it)
ImageImage

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:45 pm

Klefmung wrote:>.> Oh, by the way, I bought the PW dvd just to see you in the supermarket and scifening gas (you know the scene) on my tv in betterthanmp4 quality. <.<
Ah yes "2 for $4!" and Niagara Falls urination scene. Those were good times! I don't think I've eaten Oreos since the day we filmed that. We must have done about 8 takes on that (the first one was perfect, but everybody laughed too much LOL) and for every take I would shove 6 or 7 Oreos in my mouth. Hence I haven't had a desire to eat them since. The gas syphoning was a fun scene to do as it was just Ben, Dale, me, and a 5 gallon container of water. That was fun to do, because we knew it would be funny and we weren't rushed to do it unlike a lot of other days.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie! Ben said that he had sold a decent number of copies, which is good because he made quite the investment of time and money in making it. So I'm glad to see that he's making a little something back even if it won't come anywhere near covering his investment. So thanks a bunch!

He did do a hell of a job on the DVD too. There was a lot of stuff in the deleted scenes that I had completely forgotten about! So it was fun for me to go through it as well.

Now back to the topic at hand... PS3 or Wii or both or neither
Oh, and isn't the ps3 being launched around the wii? Wasn't that the wii's strategy? Like, same week or something?
They still haven't announced a launch date for the Wii as far as I know. Supposedly we may find out something concrete as far as that is concerned on September 14th. The PS3 launches in the US on November 17th just in time for the holiday shopping season. Interestingly enough, during this same time period, the Xbox 360 will see the launch of the much-anticipated Gears of War on November 7th. It would seem logical for the Wii, if at all possible, to come out prior to either of these events in October, but more than likely it will come out around the same time as the PS3.

We will know soon enough...

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:59 pm

Kind of late for this, but I added a poll.

My choice still is "nether".

The 360 isn't thrilling, the PS3 is expensive, and the Wii is the Snakes on a Plane gimmicky thing.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:06 pm

jones wrote:
ganonbanned wrote:
jones wrote:
But, three is company
You bet. I live in the sleep little hamlet of Belleville, just south of Madison. To top that all off Ben and I went to the same high school growing up and eventually through some strange train of events I wound up in "Port Washington". Which was, by and large, a good time. I would definitely do another one, Ben willing. :lol:

Whereabouts is Mukwonago anyway? I could look it up on Mapquest, but what fun would that be? Conversation is the spice of life after all!
the very southern part of waukesha county, abotu 5 miles away from walworth.

Ari

Post by Ari » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:13 pm

I plan on buying the PS3 sometime later, when I can afford it. Probably around March or so of next year. I can't wait to see the homebrew on that thing! Think of the possibilities... a cell processer and a hard drive preloaded with linux! Though of course, sony could severely limit it's capabilites. I really hope they don't, though.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:25 pm

Just for the record, Nintendo OFFICIALLY announced that the Wii will be launching in November, they just didn't state which date or the final price.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:33 pm

Oh? Link?

*prevents self from fanboyism directed at Jones*
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:35 am

another vote for neither

i have a magical device that will play most 360 games and even use the controllers, can be fully networked with broadband access, can have Linux and can download old Nintendo/Sega games (thats right its a PC :lol: )

but in all seriousness i would quite like both, but since im not captain moneybags ill probably wait it out till the price drops and all the first wave flaws are ironed out

plus im saving up for a new bass at the moment which is more important (to me at least) seeing as i have a working an quite good PC

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:35 am

atari2600a wrote:Just for the record, Nintendo OFFICIALLY announced that the Wii will be launching in November, they just didn't state which date or the final price.
good. this gives me more time.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:09 am

The PS3 is overpriced and overhyped, as usual. I do want a 360 (We'll be getting a discount eventually), and I would like a Wii. But there is no way I would ever buy something on the release date. In a couple of months, the price will drop, the first releases always have problems that often times the manufacturer won't cover, and I just don't want to get caught in the crowd. I'd rather wait a couple of months when the price is lower, the bugs are worked out, and there are more choices of games and they've all been reviewed.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:34 pm

jones wrote:
Krepticor wrote:I'm gonna get a Wii at launch and wait longer still for the 360 and the PS3

$600 is a lot of dough
$400 is pretty heavy for an incomplete product
$250 is nice and easy!
I assume you are referring to the 360 as an incomplete product? I'm just curious as to what it is you consider "incomplete" about it...
what I measn by incomplete is that you have to pay extra for all the other goodies, meaning that the DVD Drive in it isn't an HD DVD drive (100 dollars extra) and the PS3 might have free online capabilities, that is another benjamin down for playing xbox360 games

Thatis what I mean by incomplete, as in not everything is included with the initial product, the PS3 has it going for me over the 360 since it has the blu-ray already and a hard drive in the cheaper model

But whatever that is my opinion
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:51 pm

actually it is going to be more like $200 for the hd dvd player add on, so that puts the 360 way behind the ps3 for value. plus think about the fact that you will probibly use your 360 on LIVE for 4-6 years depending on the lifespan of the 360 so that's $200-300 added on top of the initial $600 (after the hd-dvd drive) so wow $900