WWDC 2006!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

sgtpepper
WWDC 2006!

Post by sgtpepper » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:43 pm

WooHoo! This oh so anticipated World Wide Developers Conference '06 has finally begun! And of course there's no better way than a Steve Jobs Keynote to kick things off.

Many things were announced, but the most important are as follows:

The Mac Pro
A first look at Leopard
The new XServe
and lower priced cinema displays

Have to keep you (mostly) Windoze users informed. :wink:

Discuss!
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:38 pm

I cant wait for Leopard to be released. It will have Boot Camp in final form, and so many more cool features.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:17 pm

No offense but to me Leapord just looks like OS X eith new features installed...

On the Mac Pro: The darn thing is $2,500 without a display. Plus it only has a Gig of RAM. Now that is slow compared to the two dual-core processors in the darn thing.

The new server: Very powerful, very expensive...

Cheaper displays: F-ing A! That's awesome!

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:27 pm

Oh, I get it. Steve Jobs thinks his OS is actually relavent. I suppose it does distinguish and set Apple apart from the other IBM PC clone manufacturers, though. I think I'll stick with the OS that's both highly stable and allows me to have the most fun ~_~

Smite aside, none of this seems very noteworthy, just newer itterations of yesteryear's desktop PC and server.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:13 pm

teraflop122 wrote:I think I'll stick with the OS that's both highly stable and allows me to have the most fun ~_~

Smite aside, none of this seems very noteworthy, just newer itterations of yesteryear's desktop PC and server.
1- That sounds a like the Mac OS, doesn't really fit Window's description...

2- Name something that's faster and/or cheaper
cowsgoquack101 wrote:No offense but to me Leapord just looks like OS X eith new features installed...

On the Mac Pro: The darn thing is $2,500 without a display. Plus it only has a Gig of RAM. Now that is slow compared to the two dual-core processors in the darn thing.

The new server: Very powerful, very expensive...

Cheaper displays: F-ing A! That's awesome!
1- Isn't that what any OS upgrade is?

2- Compared to an identically equipped Dell, it's hundreds of dollars cheaper watch the keynote... :roll:

3- once again, cheaper

4- also beating Dell in price
 My iBook's modded logo!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:30 pm

sgtpepper wrote:
teraflop122 wrote:I think I'll stick with the OS that's both highly stable and allows me to have the most fun ~_~

2- Name something that's faster and/or cheaper
Linux is cheaper (I <3 free stuff). He might have been talking about linux in the first place (I don't know though).

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:34 pm

vskid wrote: He might have been talking about linux in the first place (I don't know though).
That's true, Linux is definitely awesome as well, it's just harder for people that aren't very computer savvy.
 My iBook's modded logo!

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:17 pm

That is the point of the humor. I see commercials every day flaunting Mac OS as the way to have fun, and Windows as little more than a business tool. Of course, all games worth mentioning are released first and foremost for Windows, and then at a later date maybe released for Mac. A few might be released for both concurrently. The stability arguement also doesn't hold water any longer; many people, including hosts on G4, admit that Windows never gives them any more trouble than Mac OS. My Windows PC hasn't crashed in over two years.

I'm just curious why I should give any consideration to Mac OS at all. Is it so I can navigate through menus more quickly? Perhaps it'll allow me to feel warm and fuzzy inside whenever I see those commercials on TV.

Windows XP Home only costs me 80 or 90 bucks, while OS Tiger costs a whoping $129- that is when I actually feel like paying for Windows. You will notice that few people on this forum actually pay for much of their software at all. Add to that the relative cost of the inconvenience involved in waiting for distant Mac OS game release dates...
Compared to an identically equipped Dell, it's hundreds of dollars cheaper watch the keynote...
Wow, you're right :?

Anyway, there are some Apple products I do have an interest in. I've had my eye on the Mac Mini for a long time, especially now that you can get dual-core power in such a tiny, cool case. I consider the Mini a miracle of engineering. Of course I'd put Windows on it (gasp-> DEATH), but I'd still have to tip my hat to the engineers who designed it.

legoboy
Location:some utterly insignificant little blue-green planet far out in the western arm of the galaxy

Post by legoboy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:01 pm

I just finished watching the keynote presentation. Man 10.5 is going to have some upgrades I've wanted for a while, especially Spaces. That alone I think would be worth the upgrade.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:26 pm

legoboy wrote:I just finished watching the keynote presentation. Man 10.5 is going to have some upgrades I've wanted for a while, especially Spaces. That alone I think would be worth the upgrade.
Time Machine is definitely my favorite new feature so far
 My iBook's modded logo!

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:10 am

I run Mac OS X Tiger on a Dell laptop... :twisted:

:P
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:26 am

Well to put price into perspective:

$1,300 iMac comes with everything you see here.

$1,300 gaming PC highly customizable and gaming powerful.

Choose wisely.

Oh and sgtpepper: I mean that graphically Mac OS X isn't different from Tiger. Besides Vista is very different from XP. Just like how XP was graphically better than 98, 2000, and ME.

daleighan

Post by daleighan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:59 pm

Ah yeah... I don't know about anyone else but i think the mac pro looks like a good deal for the power it has