The End of E3?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Harshboy
Portablizer
The End of E3?

Post by Harshboy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:01 pm

From Next-Gen:

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) shindig has been a staple of game industry life since the mid-1990s. However, we understand the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure.

Publishers believe the multi-million dollar budgets would be better spent on more company-focused events that bring attention to their own product lines rather than the industry as a whole.

Well placed sources say the news that larger exhibitors were pulling out had prompted urgent meetings among publishing executives. They decided that, without the support of the larger software publishers and hardware manufacturers, there would be no point in continuing.

ESA president Doug Lowenstein will likely announce the news some time within the next 48 hours, possibly on Monday. It's likely that the ESA will seek to limit the damage by organizing some form of lesser event in May, possibly even with the E3 brand, but this will be no more than a fig-leaf. The days of an industry event attended by all the major publishers, spending big money, are gone.

Calls to ESA staff are not being returned at present.
If true its very sad for the gaming industry

Discuss.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:30 pm

Why don't YOU discuss it :P? Everytime there's some news posted here it seems like everyone just puts at the end of it "Discuss".

Anyway, doesn't matter, that just kind of irked me :P. Most of us here, as gamers (myself included) are likely quite sad at this news. E3 is an exciting time of the year for everyone and to not have it would be like missing Christmas (in a way).
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:43 pm

I never got to go to E3. :x

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:59 pm

That is unfortunate. Indeed, it seems as if it cannot possibly be true. Seems more like the big publishers are making a very large mistake which could offset the balance of the entire industry.

All big, new games reel in recognition during E3, as well as all the big console news. If they take all that and spread it out, I for one won't have any idea what's what! I trusted the E3 coverage of new games and titles, but I won't trust reviews coming from events hosted by single companies. "This title looks like one of the best of the year," well DUH, of course an employee of a company would say that about the company's own products. And, of course, I had hoped to attend an E3 sometime.

Big-O

Post by Big-O » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:07 pm

Well, with this new fangled device called, oh I dunno the interweb? we could just have an E3 website domain thing and then all the companies that would be at E3 could post thier links to a "showroom" page. With crappy flash demos and low res videos.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:56 pm

If they do cancel I'm going to be upset but there's nothing I can do. E3 was that special time of the year that I always looked forward to. It's like what Gamy said " it'll be like missing Christmas, sorta."

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:56 pm

NOOOO!!!!!! I never been to E3 before. :x

Going to E3 is something I have always wanted to go to. This had best be a hoax.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:11 pm

"[A GameSpot article is slightly less doom-and-gloom, stating that E3 may only be heavily downsized and more focused on meeting room-style exhibitions and displays. We'll wait for official confirmation from Mr. Lowenstein.]"

grahf

Post by grahf » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:55 pm

I feel as if the whole thing has gotten out of hand. Its kind of rediculous that companies have been spending as much as they have on e3... However if they didnt, they would of course be slammed for having a "poor showing" or other such nonsense. E3 (or something like it) will mostly likely go on, but it really did need to be downsized. A few hundred thousand (if that) should be more than enough to pay saleries and set up a few nice displays.

The whole point has always been to showcase the games and hardware, but it has evolved into a "bling" contest IMO.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:11 am

I'd be happy to see companies focus that money on mainstream media advertising like on, og I don't know, TV. So far, Nintendo does the best job. PSP pisses people off left and right and I haven't seen on console OR console speicific game add for the 360 like I have for the DS lite. I'd like to see some renewed attention there. Or maybe just new attention... :wink:
-Luke

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:13 am

Lucretius wrote:I'd be happy to see companies focus that money on mainstream media advertising like on, og I don't know, TV. So far, Nintendo does the best job. PSP pisses people off left and right and I haven't seen on console OR console speicific game add for the 360 like I have for the DS lite. I'd like to see some renewed attention there. Or maybe just new attention... :wink:
Or subliminally advertise! Nothing like tricking a gullible public! Wait;
I'M part of that gullible public! :shock:

CTFan

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:13 am

E3 rumor wrote:They decided that, without the support of the larger software publishers and hardware manufacturers, there would be no point in continuing.
nintendo, sony, and microsoft are all hardware manufacturers :roll:

i already heard this on thewiire, and it won't happen :wink:

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:09 am

NOOOOO
no more booth-babes, and god knows what will happen if spaceworld has to come back

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:46 am

Lucretius wrote:I'd be happy to see companies focus that money on mainstream media advertising like on, og I don't know, TV. So far, Nintendo does the best job. PSP pisses people off left and right and I haven't seen on console OR console speicific game add for the 360 like I have for the DS lite. I'd like to see some renewed attention there. Or maybe just new attention... :wink:
No one really wants portable cheese do they (PSP Refrence) Thats how bad Sony advertises. And Some Xbox 360 commercials are odd and have no relations to the 360 (Similar to the PSP Commercials)

If Sony says the PSP is "Portable Cheese" It better be :P

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:24 am

Sony has always had great advertising, but the PSP commercials suck. Their writers are sleeping. About E3 though EA is really the only one that we know doesn't want to do it next year as this GI.biz article says http://games-industry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18648 I don't have any worries about E3, we just won't have to see coverage on EA's crappy multiconsole sloppy crap games.