Well, screw Dell, I want power.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:19 pm

It's all over for conroe. I was just reading the latest issue of PCmag where they reviewed the new falcon northwest MachV conroe equipped, and it showed a 30-40% performance gain over the Athlon FX 60 equipped MachV in every test except the gaming test. The game was Doom 3 which showed a 30% drop in performance. Maybe it was just Doom 3, but that doesn't look too good to me :?. in other news, I meant to post this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119106 my bad :oops:

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:34 pm

You guys have really helped me...but I really like all the things XPC posted, just that motherboard. I guess that's all...well, I really appreciate this help guys, you've helped me play games I dream of.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

sam

Post by sam » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:39 pm

Dont trust just one source man. + Get the 310$ conroe, best bang/buck ratio. And you posted a case... you arent very good at linking :P
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.

daleighan

Post by daleighan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:49 pm

I dunno bout anybody else, but i'm about to get a mac pro

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:15 am

daleighan wrote:I dunno bout anybody else, but i'm about to get a mac pro
Have fun playing the Apple puzzle game!

sam

Post by sam » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:48 am

Ill find you good ram, because everyone there said that it was either unstable or doa typething.
Here is good ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227047

demonofaj

Well, Screw it: The Big Finale!

Post by demonofaj » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:52 pm

Considering all of your choices, I finally got enough courage, to get a fairly good gaming PC, and working one. Also, I am hoping that it can play Battlefield Two at fairly high settings, all the source games at fairly high settings, and up coming games at a moderate level. Well, correct me in this if I am wrong. Also, it's a multimedia center, meanign burning of all formats and I"m a budding flash artist, that too, and YTMND, Imageready, the whole 'shebang', this is a graphics orientated computer, so if you find a flaw in some place, find it in the depths of your hear to correct me :P

Graphics Card: New EVGA 7900 card for 300, Thanks Sam!

Central Processing Unit: I finally picked this one, seeing the superiority...Dual Core!

RAM: Nice 2 GB RAM, I found it on Newegg, it's DDR! :-D

Motherboard: I picked the Asus one hearing it's superiority, thanks VB!

Sound Card: Once again, am not sure, so check please :-D, but includes a copy of Splinter Cell :-)

Modem Card: Found one, just updated, but is it good for like Dial Up Internet Access, is it good?

Hard Disk Drive: Well found a great new SATA one!

Disk Drive: Well, I could find this, but remember, I need one that is practically all around burner and reader.

Case:
Nice 100$ case, need help on how to implement it, like are their punch out holes so you can proplerly mount or what?

PSU: Thanks for the PSU, xelion

In the end, should be about 1500, so far it's 1309.94...1310...actually screw it, with proper fans and a PSU, 1450.

Well, thanks again guys, but I still need helping getting a PSU for those stuff (if all of them are right for me) and a nice case. When I mean nice I mean well, eye candy, like a small neon bar, and I really want a see through one for both techno-savviness and just as a failsafe protocol if anything goes wrong :P . And some fans/heatsinks/cooling items. Thanks again guys and I really appreciate the help you've given me.
Last edited by demonofaj on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 15 times in total.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:42 pm

Yes, that mobo has Ethernet ports. it actually has two of them.

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:55 pm

Cases, got these two...now to decide...dun dun dun.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811209020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811233003

Actually screw it, getting the gigabyte 3D one, now I just need PSU and cooling equipment.

sam

Post by sam » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:54 pm

Hold the phone. new mobo. (why get crossfire if your using nvidia amirite?) Ill edit when I find one for you. BTW ill find you a better hard drive too. And ide is old and not good. Any new hard drives are sata.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148140

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:28 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131540
this is your mobo here. I just built an SLI rig for my friend with this board in it and it is rock solid.

xelion

Post by xelion » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:18 am

okay you people don't seem to understand something about ram and motherboards. DDR2 ram won't work with a DDR motherboard. You picke dout DDR2 ram, and a motherboard that only supports DDR.

Same wiht you XPC, twice for you actually.

The last time I checked there aren't any DDR2 boards that are AMD based, but that may have changed in the recent future.

so get DDR ram, I'd suggest this ram, it has the best timing of the 2gb amount http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220082

Really 1gb is all you need, 2 gb actually makes it slower in some cases, but whatever, with the media center capabilities you want 2gb might be best.

if that ram is too much, thsi one is open box but it's like 60 bucks cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 820220040R

As for the motherboards, the one you picked out is a lot of money, that I woulnd't spend, and it's like Radeon or something, so yeah that's not good with nvidia, probably make some problems, and ASUs, well it's not the best brand, but iit's a pretty good one. Persoannlly I'd go with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813136158

edit: For your CPU, go with the second one, lower end FX cpu's aren't dual core, and the x2 is. Dualcore=better. and the soundcard you pickedis a pretty good one. And most all boards support SATA man. On newegg, just scroll down a bit, and look where it says storage devices:
Storage Devices
PATA 2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices
PATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD
SATA 3Gb/s 4
SATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1/5 JBOD
See, that board that I picked has 4 SATA slots, and it supports RAID's, and it also has 2 ATA slots, for ATA harddrives or cd drives. The SATA is a lot better for harddrives. Also try to get a harddrive that has a 16mb cache, I dunno if the one whoever suggested was 16mb. 16mb=faster but it's a little more expencive.[/code]

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:57 am

OK, updated the HDD, and RAM and motherboard selection a bit. And errr, am I right? I took xelion's motherboard, found some 1 GB ram on my own, and took sam's HDD idea. Now am I getting the beef for my buck? :P I noticed that the CPU needed a socket 939, but I'm not sure that the updated motherboard I had, has that socket. On the box art, can't see any specifications. :?

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:00 am

demonofaj wrote:OK, updated the HDD, and RAM and motherboard selection a bit. And errr, am I right? I took xelion's motherboard, found some 1 GB ram on my own, and took sam's HDD idea. Now am I getting the beef for my buck? :P I noticed that the CPU needed a socket 939, but I'm not sure that the updated motherboard I had, has that socket. On the box art, can't see any specifications. :?
The DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard will work, as it says socket 939.