Time Travel?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:26 pm

I had an idea...

Although we don't know it, we are always moving at a speed of at least a couple thousands of miles per hour, due to Earth's rotation upon its axis. Now that is multiplied by the speed of Earth's rotation around the sun, which results in a very great speed.

Time passes faster when one moves faster, correct? So if we were to move off of the Earth, and into, say open space, not orbiting around any planets, we would be moving slower than we ever had before. So, would time pass much slower than if one was on Earth?

This is making my brain hurt. Anyone have an answer?

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:53 am

God, are you stupid.

AS VELOCITY INCREASES, THE SPEED AT WHICH TIME PASSES DECREASES

Also you dont multiply the speed of the earths rotation by the orbit around the sun's speed.

There are calculations you have to do to calculate the speed but I cannot be copulate to dig them up.

codeman

Post by codeman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:27 am

joevennix wrote:
Although we don't know it, we are always moving at a speed of at least a couple thousands of miles per hour, due to Earth's rotation upon its axis.
I'm no expert on this stuff, but I do remember that Einstein said he felt it was impossible for anything to move faster than the speed of light, because everything is already moving at the speed of light...through time.

I'm not smart enough to try to figure any of this out, but there are some cool things related to it that are entertaining:

1) Read TimeQuake...it's hilarious!
2) Play to the end of Chrono Cross
3) Play The Journeyman Project!!! It's a fantastic game series based on time travel and the effects of it...still has some contradictions of course, but cool none the less.
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

SavageLych

Post by SavageLych » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:18 am

Sam you don't have to be an asswhole just because someone dosn't understand the physics or what ever of time travel, think more befor you type. I think your being a bit harsh in him.

Anyways, Timeline was a good book, I also likes State of Fear.

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:25 am

I just don't like that it has been said so much in this topic and he doesn't get the most simple comcepts of time dilation. When he posts wrong information, others see that and learn the wrong information!

@codeman:

Actually, Einstein said that nothing could travel at the speed of light as the only thing that could travel at that speed would be energy.

Nicholai

Post by Nicholai » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:30 am

I think traveling BACK in time is impossible, because no matter how fast you move something, you can't make time move in a negative interval. It will always be going forward, even if it's extremely slow.

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:55 am

In theory, anti matter could travel back in time... As it would be doing the opposite of normal matter. However, due to its tendency to explode, they cant really test that by generating a large amount.

Also if we could interact in the higher dimensions than 3, as stated previously, we would be able to move through time differently.

codeman

Post by codeman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:59 am

sam fisher wrote: @codeman:

Actually, Einstein said that nothing could travel at the speed of light as the only thing that could travel at that speed would be energy.
Eh...whatever, just play The Journeyman Project!
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:30 am

apparently a rotating black hole (which so far is only theoretical irrc) would cause the spacetime surrounding it to rotate as well. light that was orbiting the hole in the same direction as the rotation of spacetime would appear to an outside observer to be moving faster than the speed of light.

not to say that that has anything to do with time travel. but i thought it had some relevance anyways.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:25 am

sam fisher wrote:AS VELOCITY INCREASES, THE SPEED AT WHICH TIME PASSES DECREASES
Ech, I mixed up my words. I was thinking about time in relation to everyone else. It would move faster for them, but... well I'm not really sure what I was thinking. I don't take physics for another two years

It is possible to go faster than the speed of light, even if it involves cheating a bit. We learned this in Bio 1 one day when the professor went into a rant. Scientists sent light through a thick fluid, slowing it down, then they shot small particles through the fluid, moving faster than the light. The effect gives off some kind of radiation.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:38 am

joevennix wrote:I had an idea...

Although we don't know it, we are always moving at a speed of at least a couple thousands of miles per hour, due to Earth's rotation upon its axis. Now that is multiplied by the speed of Earth's rotation around the sun, which results in a very great speed.

Time passes faster when one moves faster, correct? So if we were to move off of the Earth, and into, say open space, not orbiting around any planets, we would be moving slower than we ever had before. So, would time pass much slower than if one was on Earth?

This is making my brain hurt. Anyone have an answer?
You hit it right on the money!
That's why the moon landing and other space videos appear to be in slow motion. :lol:

**$cuba $teve**

Post by **$cuba $teve** » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:54 am

Star Trek Spoiler !

Did anyone see ""Star Trek: First Contact" and that episode of enterprise where the Borg wake-up after 100 years after 1st contact and the borg sent a message, that said "assilmate earth" to the borg collectave? But the Borg won't get it untill 200 years (the 24 century). (at 1st contact) Don't you see a paradox here?

P.S. If the Borg sent the message in 1st contact, Capt Kirk would have to deal with the Borg. :wink:
people online wrote:*$cuba $teve*, Damn you!!!!

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31 am

joevennix wrote:
sam fisher wrote:AS VELOCITY INCREASES, THE SPEED AT WHICH TIME PASSES DECREASES
Ech, I mixed up my words. I was thinking about time in relation to everyone else. It would move faster for them, but... well I'm not really sure what I was thinking. I don't take physics for another two years

It is possible to go faster than the speed of light, even if it involves cheating a bit. We learned this in Bio 1 one day when the professor went into a rant. Scientists sent light through a thick fluid, slowing it down, then they shot small particles through the fluid, moving faster than the light. The effect gives off some kind of radiation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

it happens when someting travels faster than the speed of light in that medium. nothing travels faster than the speed of light in a vacuum though. (that we know of)
wikipedia wrote:While relativity holds that the speed of light in a vacuum is a universal constant (c), the speed of light in a material may be significantly less than c. For example, the speed of light in water is only 0.75c. Matter can be accelerated beyond this speed during nuclear reactions and in particle accelerators. Cherenkov radiation results when a charged particle, most commonly an electron, exceeds the speed of light in a dielectric (electrically insulating) medium through which it passes.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:48 am

joevennix wrote:

Yup, the denser the medium the light travels through, the faster C becomes.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:02 pm

I thought this was a copulate joke.

In our lifetime, none of us will travel through time. Period.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)