Time Travel?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:53 am

Shouting?

I probably have learnt refractive indicies but I don't remember them. Although, granted, I have barely learnt about things like refraction, diffraction etc...

Nicholai

Post by Nicholai » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:55 am

Sam. Just. Be. Quiet.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:10 am

Sam, Calm down. We know your smart but stop putting yourself on a pedistal.

SavageLych

Post by SavageLych » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:45 am

sam you don't want gamer2 to act out his avatar do you?

It reminds me of that episode of south park when they all baught hybrid cars.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:16 am

sam fisher wrote:
vskid wrote:
sam fisher wrote:I don't actually know about refraction index's. I just know what I read. I read that as the denisty of the medium that light travels through increases, so does the speed of light. I just put C as I used it to represent the standard speed of light and If i said :
As the object gets denser the speed of light gets faster than the speed of light
That that could easily confuse people who cannot grasp the basic concept's of time dilation.
I think your backwards or something, if I try running in a vacuum and a brick wall, I'll go faster in the vacuum.
I didn't mix anything up, I just put it in simple terms. You just dont get it do you! YOU ARE NOT LIGHT.

Light travels, normally, at a maximum speed, known in physical equations as C. This is the speed of light in a vacuum.

However, in a denser medium, LIGHT TRAVELS FASTER. You don't neccisarily travel faster. Light does, Vskid, unless you are made up of waves of energy that normally travel at C through a vacuum, YOU WILL NOT RUN THROUGH A WALL.

Light can travel through a diamond, and due to the density I am pretty sure that it travels around 3 times C. IDIOT. I don't need to shut up.

Oh, vskid, you wont really move much at all in the vacuum of space, as there is nothing to cause friction. Therefore there is no equal and opposite reaction to allow you to move. Double Idiot.
Hey idiot, two minutes on wikipedia got me this.
When light passes through a transparent substance, such as air, water or glass, its speed is reduced
The brick wall was an example of something dense, and by vacuum I meant just no air, gravity and friction still existing.

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:40 am

As has already been stated here by someone a while back.

heh heh.

Im not an idiot because I at least had vague general idea about what im talking about. You cant expect me to know everything! :wink:

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:09 am

or maybe you are an idiot for spouting crap you either dont understand completly or have wrong as solid fact! :lol:

codeman

Post by codeman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:21 am

sam fisher wrote:You cant expect me to know everything! :wink:
Then dont pretend to, at least i only open my mouth when i know what i'm talking about
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 am

sam fisher wrote:As has already been stated here by someone a while back.

heh heh.

Im not an idiot because I at least had vague general idea about what im talking about. You cant expect me to know everything! :wink:
You were stating the exact opposite of what is right, and calling people stupid because you can't accept that you were wrong. If thats the vague general idea, then I can say the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese and according to you, still be right.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:01 am

*Hands out flame sheilds* :lol: *Hides in corner* :shock:

This is an interesting debate. But its only a debate, so, its almost a waste of time.

*Hides account from angry mod*

:?
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:00 pm

Triton wrote:or maybe you are an idiot for spouting crap you either dont understand completly or have wrong as solid fact! :lol:
Im not an idiot. Hell their theories so technically the creator(s) of the theories could have no idea what they are on about. Also apart from the thing I said about density being related to the speed of light, everything else I said is sound. And I have known everything else in this thread.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US...

screw that, im going to watch Quantum Leap, *mumble*Scott Bakula, angry navy admiral with cigar that projects himself through time to look up people skirts*/mumble*

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:06 pm

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO LOCK
Hey, sup?

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:37 pm

how can time travel be possible? when you go to the future you know what to expect. and, the future changes. so how can you go into a timeline, constantly changing?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:48 pm

Or it could be that the timeline is static, and that if we ever DO achieve time travel we won't be able to change anything because it will have already been changed.

For example:

Ted's friend, William, was stabbed to death in the past (Either one week or several years, whichever you prefer). Ted goes into the past to warn William that he's about to be stabbed to death in a dark alley. William avoids the dark alleys and lives. However, now Ted doesn't have to go back in time to warn William that he's going to die, and he doesn't, and william dies.

So unless William can both live and die in the same moment (time travel to a parallel universe?) time travel is not possible except for observing. Only looking, no touching.
Hey, sup?

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:56 pm

*coughcoughtimemachinecoughcough*

say you are in the future and talk to the future william what if, in the present, williams dies?william lived until after you traveled, so he was living in the future and dead in the past. HMM?? POSSIBLE? no :wink: