My theory of how we are doomed to a scenario like in the...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Big-O
My theory of how we are doomed to a scenario like in the...

Post by Big-O » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:59 pm

Terminator Series.

I'll explain, FIrst of all if anyone has seen a terminator movie you know what skynet is. Well the USA has a missile defence system called skyguard.
There is point number one. Point number two is that we already have robots that can scout out a bomb site, and a bunch of other cool stuff, and robots are getting more and more sophisticated every year. Even look at the first robosapien, look at robosapien 2 and those animal creature robots they have. These are just two points, but I think they fit in nicely.

Any comments? :shock:

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:01 pm

No, quite frankly.

I don't see any comparison.

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:01 pm

First dancing robots, what next, kungfu robots?!?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5140708090

Big-O

Post by Big-O » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:02 pm

What's not to compare?

Skynet = Missile defence system
SkyGuard = Missile defence system

Exactally gannon.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:10 pm

But real robot's can't think for themselves. The real missle defense system isn't about to betray mankind. It doesn't have the mental (would it still be mental in a robot) capacity.
Hey, sup?

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:14 pm

Well I'll warship them, just becuase Game systems are robots also, think of all the CRAZY games there would be.

and, Since Im a supporter, I would like to say in advance, I am a cyborg.

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:14 pm

basically what everyone else is tryin to say is computers/robots are nowhere near achiving sentience. that point (keeping moores law and all that stuff in mind) is still probably decades away, no computers can come even close to beating a turing test etc etc

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:15 pm

About my cyborg inharitience, I am the T-1 MILLION, A Uronet processor, a learning machine.

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

Big-O

Post by Big-O » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:20 pm

@ TritionHey that's what they said in the movie but they were wrong. :lol:

MilkMonster

Post by MilkMonster » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:44 pm

Triton wrote:basically what everyone else is tryin to say is computers/robots are nowhere near achiving sentience. that point (keeping moores law and all that stuff in mind) is still probably decades away, no computers can come even close to beating a turing test etc etc
Well, we're nowhere close to that, as far as we can see. BUT, Who's to say that the government hasent already developed that type of technology, I mean the US IS the most secretive government on the face of the planet. So unless the government shows the masses ALL of their information, can we be certain of that. But, since that is HIGHLY unlikely, we still have to question it.

Sorry if that sounded like a conspiracy theory.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:25 pm

It is very unlikely that they have techonology decades ahead of us. Maybe 5-10 years (even then, it's most likely just experimental technology), but certainly not enough to have a sentient computer. They would either have to have genius engineers (and enough for the past half century or so) or else have developed computers way before they were invented in the "real world" so that they'd be at sentient level today.

Anyway, all this talk of computers and robots taking over the world is irrevelant to us today (because there are no sentient robots!). Unless you specifically wrote a program for the missile defense system(s) to kill all humans, it ain't gonna happen :P.
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Nicholai

Post by Nicholai » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:11 am

You forgot to mention the PS3 is coming out. That thing IS Skynet.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:50 am

i have to agree with Triton

studies have already shown that silicon is nearing its threshold (ie computer speeds arent gonna go much futher), and until they find an alternative then robots with their own thinking abilities will be out of our reach

however if we can cut the costs of quantum computing then it may well be possible

but like a i say so far there is no viable alternative to silicon

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:13 am

...Actually, robots capable of HUMAN thought are most likely decades away.

My own theory is that computers can indeed reach a state of self-aware intelligence, but that intelligence would need to be based on a computer's brain- digital components processing 0's and 1's- NOT an immitation of an organic brain, which processes data holistically. With such a different type of mind, the first machine intelligences would most likely be incomprehensible to humans, and incapable of effectively communicating with humans. Our brains would be so different, as would our thoughts. You would not be able to determine what a machine intelligence "wants."

In that scenario, it is very unlikely that a machine intelligence would seek the death of humans, because humans and machines would be on two different...not Levels, but planes, perhaps. A machine intelligence could just as soon assume humans are a geological process than living things. The evils which drive humans, like greed and hatred, simply wouldn't apply to such an alien intelligence as machine intelligence.

As things are today, the problem is we don't know how we ourselves think, so trying to make a robot think is like a shot in the dark. I'm relatively sure that a simple computer with a PDA processor would be capable of relatively advanced learning and human-like behavior- but only with the appropriate algorithms and programs.

It is my belief that human technologists will eventually stumble upon a very special algorithm, maybe just a couple lines of code long, which, when put into a computer system, will statistically always yeild a learning intelligence.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:29 am

Guys as of now AI are very simple. The most sophisticated ones are only capible of learning like a child, playing with things and evn then it only learns the act or concept. Chances are if we do have AI or Robots that are on par with humans they'll likely be bio-computes or really cyborgs.

Remember that we have over a trillion brain cells, and they can do more then a trillion transistors. Even if the theory that by 2017 a microchip can be made with trasistor numbers equal to that of the number of brain cells in the average human, it's likely not going to be even a hundredth the power of a human brain.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.