PS3 is an upgradable PC !

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jeep
PS3 is an upgradable PC !

Post by jeep » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 am

The PS3 is an upgradable PC clainms Sony CEO.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... 5&Itemid=2
"Speaking about the PS3, we never said we will release a game console," he said. "It is radically different from the previous PlayStation. It is clearly a computer. Indeed, with a game console, you need to take out any unnecessary elements inside the console in order to decrease its cost. ... This will of course apply to the PS3 as well."

He continued, saying that making a platform highly configurable overrides issues of cost, and even implied that the PS3 will be made to keep up with new PC technology. "However, the PS3 is a computer," Kutaragi said. "Lowering costs is important but more important is its capacity to evolve. I think the HDD will gain in capacity. If a new technology gets into mainstream PCs, the PS3 will have to adopt it as well. Maybe the Blu-ray drive will become writable. Well, maybe not at this point."

"We put up no restrictions. Because it is a computer, it can interact with anything, freely. If someone is familiar with PC building, he or she can upgrade easily PS3’s HDD."

At one point in the interview, Kutaragi said that there will eventually be so many options for the PS3, the platforms could theoretically be made build-to-order. He pointed out that this would be a problem for resellers, but added, "as a computer, the PS3 could really be sold via BTO."

Great ! :lol: I always though the fun parts with console was the compatibility... I was wrong ! :lol:

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:17 am

No! Ha ha heh.... No, the other thing.

I seriously see no reason to buy this thing. It costs an arm and a leg, there are NO eye-catching games for it and Wii is the exact opposite of these complaints.

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:10 pm

NES_fanatic wrote:No! Ha ha heh.... No, the other thing.

I seriously see no reason to buy this thing. It costs an arm and a leg, there are NO eye-catching games for it and Wii is the exact opposite of these complaints.
NO eye cathing games :!: have you even looked at any of the games that will be out for it. Resistance: Fall of Man is going to be one of the most awesome games ever http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager ... Id=3151083
MGS4 the most impressive game that I have ever seen.

Oh I the upgrades mean harddrive upgrades, and non game related hardware upgrades much like the 360's hddvd attachment.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 pm

if you can attach most computer hard drives then the cheaper option looks quie viable as i have loads of hard drives lying around

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:10 pm

Well that helps to explain the cost of the damn thing. Not even a Genesis with SegaCD cost more then $350. But as they are selling this thing as a computer I guess they're telling the public the truth. With all the upgrades I'm sure Sony has planned.

What really interests me now is whether or not Sony is going to offer CD/DVD burner attachments or upgrades to the starndard optical drive. And if they do are they going to offer all the software drivers and such into the open source community.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:42 pm

im pretty sure iheard that the Ps3 will be running linux anyway

well as if microsoft would let them use windows :lol:

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:46 pm

well, out the window goes the thought of th PS3 PLAYING GAMES! a computer... :roll: idiot sony :roll: not much a computer either, seeing the size! if you want it, expand your closet, thats the only place it'll fit :lol:

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 pm

but what happens when I already have a pc?

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:07 pm

the whole point of the cell processors is that they will replace current chip technology, the silicon chip as it is is coming to the end of its life span due to moore's law which states that silicon chips can only be pushed so far, already were getting dual core pc's coming out

the cell processor idea is another solution to the problem

and besides the same could be said for the xbox 360 which is so close to a PC as it is

sam

Post by sam » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:14 pm

Silicon may be old but not worn out you guys...
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:22 pm

yes, but the end is near and alternatives need to be thought up sooner rather than later

because you can only make the silicon transitors on the chips so small, if you make them too small elctron tunneling takes plaes and shorts it all out

Theres lots of possiblities, using organic dyes looked probable but there was a large scandal because the scientist faked the results.

Next step up is quantum computing buts thats a bit too complicated to explain now (ok so I dont understand it fully :wink: )

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:55 pm

scherzo

Re: PS3 is an upgradable PC !

Post by scherzo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 pm

we never said we will release a game console
Then why on earth call it Playstation 3? Idiots. Why don't they just call it "The-Overpriced-Device-With-Specs-And-Functionality-That-Are-Even-A-Mystery-To-Sony-Itself Station"

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:14 pm

I hope the PS3 makes food because I couldn't get any after buying one.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:27 pm

thats goin in my friggen sig!