My brightest creation (since my computer)…

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

usbcd36
My brightest creation (since my computer)…

Post by usbcd36 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:58 pm

USBCD36 wrote:My latest creation is complete!

Geek accent lighting!

…or more descriptively, BAWLS cold cathodes lights! Yes, I know it's been done many times over (also with LEDs, as my friend made for me for my birthday, along with a nice cold regular bottle of BAWLS), but I did something different (and relatively stupid). Instead of running the wires through the cap and into the bottle, I drilled holes through the bottles at the bottom to fish the wires through. At least that's what I intended to do… Turns out that BAWLS bottles are more brittle than chipped canning jars (my practice medium), and when you drill a hole in them, the bottle splits around at the point of the hole, and needs to be superglued back together. This ended up being a nice feature as well (though it does make them slightly more ugly), since you can stick the cathodes in through the base instead of through the neck (which requires sanding of the acrylic cube endcaps).

Overall, I think they look kinda nice, even with their flaws. Oh, and if anyone is interested, I got the BAWLS from a LAN party and the CCFLs (and extension cables) from PCToys.com (CCFLs and cables). Including shipping, it was a flat $16 (not including the bottles).
Wrote this for over at m2k2, but it works just fine here too. Might get some more appreciation in a hacking community too…

Another thing: expect somewhat slow download speeds too, as the upstream is somewhere around 50 KB/s on my DSL connection.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Sun May 28, 2006 4:56 pm

Ok, this thread has been read 67 times, and only about 3 of those belong to me. If you think the lamps look cool, tell me. If you think they suck…TELL ME!! Looking for praise and/or constructive criticism here!

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Sun May 28, 2006 5:31 pm

The deal probably is there are no pics and the link leads to a .zip file...
-Luke

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Sun May 28, 2006 5:35 pm

.zip file = file with files inside = can contain multiple pictures. and it has pics. I guess it's cool...
<(im_an_alien)>
24 year old computer ftw!

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun May 28, 2006 5:36 pm

Ya... I'm not going to download a .zip from a place I don't trust, being risked to various viruses.

MilkMonster

Post by MilkMonster » Sun May 28, 2006 5:45 pm

those are pretty nice bottles

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun May 28, 2006 6:08 pm

Talk about 56k murder...

So it's just some cathodes in a Bawls bottle? Cool, I guess.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sun May 28, 2006 6:09 pm

Looks good! Where did you get the cathode tube for that? I may just have to do one of them myself :)

Also, for what it's worth, I think you'll get less of a response if you posted a zip, since most people are too lazy to download the zip, unzip it, then go through every picture, when they can just do that last step when expanded :)

Edit: also, how much do those cost? I'd assume you can get them at CompUSA or something, but I'm too lazy to look :P
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

usbcd36

Re: My brightest creation (since my computer)…

Post by usbcd36 » Sun May 28, 2006 6:12 pm

usbcd36 wrote:Oh, and if anyone is interested, I got the BAWLS from a LAN party and the CCFLs (and extension cables) from PCToys.com (CCFLs and cables). Including shipping, it was a flat $16 (not including the bottles).
I prefer Xoxide, but PCtoys has cheaper 4" cathodes.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun May 28, 2006 6:14 pm

I may have already seen this, but it is much better the second time looking through. Nice one, usb, nice one. May I go and steal it all.... I mean.... nice job...
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Sun May 28, 2006 6:24 pm

No complaints about the cracks either? Wow…

Thanks all!

Also, if anyone happens to be wondering about the title…