Birds + No Gravity = ?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Could it fly?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 47

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri May 26, 2006 1:35 pm

No gravity = No atmosphere = Nothing to push off of. Now, if it shot feathers out of it's wings, crapped, or spit, that would propel it with equal force in the opposite direction :P

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri May 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Let's assume there's somle miracle keeping Earth's atmosphere intact, but gravity wasn't present.
Hey, sup?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri May 26, 2006 1:59 pm

Guys the question was could a bird fly in zero gravity, not a vacumme or outter space. You can have a lack of gavity but still have an atmosphere (the shuttle is one example).

Now if you guys want to be specific and think he ment in space. Thne no, the bird would likely have a decompression explosion and if that didn't happen within the first 30 second it would freeze/boil and if neither those happened fast enough it would have sufficated from lack of oxygen.

There either the bird can fly or it dies from lack of enviormant.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri May 26, 2006 2:00 pm

well, just because the atmosphere is intact doesn't mean it hasn't floated off somewhere other than earth :P

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Fri May 26, 2006 2:33 pm

There would be no such thing as flying, as flying is defined as moving in the opposite direction of the largest gravitational pull on you. So no gravity=no flying. You would just be in the hands of inertia.
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri May 26, 2006 3:02 pm

I think it could move about. Send this to NASA and have them send a bird up to the ISS.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Fri May 26, 2006 3:24 pm

huh....I guess this all depends on one's perception of "flying" really :P. I thought of it as a way to move about in the air (which would be possible, by simply "pushing" off the air molecules :P), but really, since there is no gravity, it isn't flying.
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Fri May 26, 2006 3:27 pm

i think it would be able to fly but it'd be a lot harder to control speed and where it's going.
ImageImage

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Fri May 26, 2006 3:35 pm

I think the question being asked was meant to be, "could a bird propel itself in a controlled manner without the presence of gravity."

Literally speaking, a bird in a gravity field flies, and a bird outside of a gravity field swims (propels itself through a fluid). The bird would simply need a little time to practice and get used to the different motions required.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Fri May 26, 2006 4:41 pm

it could fly i reckon

the reason humans dont go anywhere in zero G when we flap our arms is the same reason we dont fly when we jump off a building and flap our arms :lol:

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Fri May 26, 2006 4:47 pm

gannon wrote:No gravity = No atmosphere = Nothing to push off of. Now, if it shot feathers out of it's wings, crapped, or spit, that would propel it with equal force in the opposite direction :P
Even though what you had to say doesn't exactly line up with the argument, it's still false because in a vacuum the bird would simply explode.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Fri May 26, 2006 5:22 pm

I think the bird would eventually fly float out of the atmosphere and die... :D

Just kidding.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:11 pm

Birds gain forward momentum by diving, which can only be accomplished when there is something pulling them down. It's true that they push off of the ground as well, but if gravity isn't holding them there, they'd need to push off of a tree or something (unless the ground had REALLY good traction). Still, many birds glide, which involves diving (see above), so even if they managed to take off, they couldn't go very far until they got stuck and started turning around in circles.

In short: if you replaced the air with sulfur hexafluoride (assuming the bird wouldn't suffocate), they might be able to propel themselves against it, because it is a heavier gas that is more difficult to move.

MajorLag

Post by MajorLag » Fri May 26, 2006 9:18 pm

I'll vote for "probably". At any rate it would have a significantly easier time with it than we would because its wings would give it a propulsion advantage. I would imagine that given enough time in this magical environment they'd evolve to use their tail feathers like a fish and propel themselves that way.
Warrenties were meant to be voided

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Fri May 26, 2006 9:22 pm

basically what everyone else said. possibly...
<(im_an_alien)>
24 year old computer ftw!