Are you smart

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Wed May 17, 2006 1:58 pm

benheck wrote: I also can't:

Whistle
Program a VCR
Eat baked beans
Hmm, if we're going into talents, I can whistle. I can also snap my fingers (as fast as three times a second on one hand), I type 60+ words per minute with only my index and middle fingers as I never learned that normal way to type, I'm not doing well in my classes, however I have incredible memory and reflexes. I'll recite the entire script of the Beatles' movie Yellow Submarine at will. I had two tongues, but one was removed when I was young.
Now what I can't do:
I can't type without looking at the keyboard. I can't eat ground beef, but I can eat other beef like steak. I can't program a VCR, or get a digital clock to work (because of which I still use an alarm clock like this):

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed May 17, 2006 2:28 pm

do you get one certificate or do you get individual award for each subject?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed May 17, 2006 2:39 pm

Extreme_Jesus wrote:do you get one certificate or do you get individual award for each subject?
You typicly get a High School diploma. A stupid piece of paper that says nothing more then that you finished high school. The only other thing you might walk away from high school with is your trans-script, a record of all your classes, honors and maybe your extracurricular activities.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed May 17, 2006 2:43 pm

so your subjects arent separated?

i suppose there are better diplomas than other

Thats really quite different to over here

We come out of compulsory education with our GCSE's (General Certificate of Secondary Education)

We get a grade for every subject we took rather than one overall grade

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Wed May 17, 2006 3:01 pm

Dark Savant0 wrote:It must be harder in a different form. Next year at my school, there will be only Honors, IB, and AP, and each will focus on a different area (creativity vs vocabulary etc.) Sounds like it may be a form of honors. What classes are you taking?
Yeah I think it's honors. What's IB? Never heard of it.

EDIT: Whatever, I take Latin.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed May 17, 2006 3:15 pm

Extreme_Jesus wrote:so your subjects arent separated?

We come out of compulsory education with our GCSE's (General Certificate of Secondary Education)

We get seperat grades letter grades a b c d f that kind of thing but they also have the GPA withch is all of the letter grades avaraged together.

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed May 17, 2006 3:18 pm

we get A to G and U for ungraded

A*- C is a pass (thats A star which is a separate grade to A)

colleges look for the A* - C grades
most courses require at least 5 A* - C grades

xelion

Post by xelion » Wed May 17, 2006 3:20 pm

Dark Savant0 wrote:
gamefunatic wrote:i'm not in any 'special' classes or 'smart kid' classes, but hey, i've got an IQ of like 160 so...it's all good :D
Lies. That is above Genius level for both the American and British mode of IQ testing, so I do ot believe that for a second. Perhaps you are in the 120-130 range. That is still impressive, however.
What's so unbelievable about an IQ of 160? Mine is 149 last time I took the test around 5th grade I think, to see if I could get into the Middlers program, where basically you goto highschool straight out of elementary school,but you needed 150 to get in. But I'm glad I didn't make it, I'm way too lazy to do all that work.

I take honors math and science. They are so easy, but freshman year is really easy. The only class that eludes my 4.0 GPA is PE, no matter what, all I can get is a B, or if I don't feel like working that much, I get a C. Though German was hard because if you didn't turn in one single assignment your grade went down like 2 letter grades. I remember around the beginning of second semester I took a test and bombed it, got like 12 out of 36 possible, my grade dropped to an F. She was just weird, right now I think the maximum possible points in the class is less than 300, whereas in my computers class the maximum points are around 2000. So one assignment worth 10 points missing means death to your GPA.

so your subjects arent separated?

No, I think you have it wrong, we get grades for each class, and then the GPA they give us is just an average of all the grades. We get grades from F(worth 0 in the GPA averaging) to an A(worth 4 points) or if we take advanced classes we can get a 5 for an A, or possibly a 6 it seems like if those guys got a 6.0 GPA I've never heard of that personally, but then I don't try much.

My GPA is aronund a 3.6 unweighted, I don't know what it is weighted as the school's grade system is screwy and I'm too lazy to figure it on my own, I assume its around a 4.0-4.5.

As for gifted programs, in my city they have WINGS(I can't remember for the life of me what that stands for me) program for gifted children. It's for grades 1-8. I was in it all 8 years. To get in you had to have an IQ of 132 I believe, but it seemed every year they up'ed it more, when I left the minimum was around 140 I think. So I guess you could say I'm smart, I am, but I really don't apply myself to anything. Still get pretty good grades in school though.

My concentration is also horrible, as well as my memory. I think I might have a mild case of ADD, but I've never been tested or anything. But as for street smarts/common sense, I am at a total loss. I don't know a lot of things most people might deem detrimental to survival, yet know a lot more nontrivial facts then most that I know.

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed May 17, 2006 3:24 pm

xelion wrote:
My concentration is also horrible, as well as my memory. I think I might have a mild case of ADD, but I've never been tested or anything. But as for street smarts/common sense, I am at a total loss. I don't know a lot of things most people might deem detrimental to survival, yet know a lot more nontrivial facts then most that I know.
Same here they say I have a gifted mind. But I feel very scater brained.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed May 17, 2006 3:25 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:
xelion wrote:
I feel the same way about you.

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed May 17, 2006 3:28 pm

Skyone wrote:
gamemasterAS wrote:
xelion wrote:
I feel the same way about you.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey be nice I am kinda smart in some ways but very very stupid in others.

Like for on I bet I have a few spelling mistakes in this post.

:D like always

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 pm

ouch....we got our new reportcards to day and im now straight Cs. :oops: ......meh ...what can you do :wink:

Dark Savant0

Post by Dark Savant0 » Wed May 17, 2006 4:25 pm

joevennix wrote:
Dark Savant0 wrote:It must be harder in a different form. Next year at my school, there will be only Honors, IB, and AP, and each will focus on a different area (creativity vs vocabulary etc.) Sounds like it may be a form of honors. What classes are you taking?
Yeah I think it's honors. What's IB? Never heard of it.

EDIT: Whatever, I take Latin.
International Baccalaureate. Fun stuff. lol

EDIT: [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_Diploma_Programme]Wikipedia[/url] has a nice article surrounding it. At my school, they offer the Certificate and Diploma programs, and I am in the Diploma program. Unfortunately, once you are in IB, you lose contacts with the "regular" people and, well, in NY the "regular" people were my people. That is one of the primary reasons I took weight lifting for the last two years, and would next year except my IB classes conflict with weight lifting.
xelion wrote:
Dark Savant0 wrote:
gamefunatic wrote:i'm not in any 'special' classes or 'smart kid' classes, but hey, i've got an IQ of like 160 so...it's all good :D
Lies. That is above Genius level for both the American and British mode of IQ testing, so I do ot believe that for a second. Perhaps you are in the 120-130 range. That is still impressive, however.
What's so unbelievable about an IQ of 160? Mine is 149 last time I took the test around 5th grade I think, to see if I could get into the Middlers program, where basically you goto highschool straight out of elementary school,but you needed 150 to get in. But I'm glad I didn't make it, I'm way too lazy to do all that work.
At the upper levels of intelligence, most people tend to have bettter syntax in their writing. I am also very skeptical of any child or teenager (let's face it, most people here are not even 16, and while you may be older, I would wager a good amount to say that this would not be true) having an IQ that high.

Regardless, I am interested in the IQ exam you took. Did it figure in response time, or was it only one question, or what? The only forms of IQ exams I have taken are one on the net (that was a barrel of laughs, gave me a 190 on one try and then a 101 on another) and then another where they had me explain this weird picture and the effects that were implemented. I got a 133 on that because my response was too short and "incoherent." But I highly doubt the authenticity of both results.

IQs are overrated.

xelion

Post by xelion » Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm

Dark Savant0 wrote:
xelion wrote:
Dark Savant0 wrote:
At the upper levels of intelligence, most people tend to have bettter syntax in their writing. I am also very skeptical of any child or teenager (let's face it, most people here are not even 16, and while you may be older, I would wager a good amount to say that this would not be true) having an IQ that high.

Regardless, I am interested in the IQ exam you took. Did it figure in response time, or was it only one question, or what? The only forms of IQ exams I have taken are one on the net (that was a barrel of laughs, gave me a 190 on one try and then a 101 on another) and then another where they had me explain this weird picture and the effects that were implemented. I got a 133 on that because my response was too short and "incoherent." But I highly doubt the authenticity of both results.

IQs are overrated.
IQ's don't have much to do with how much you really know. (Take a look at Wikipedia's article Here. They are more cogniative thinking abilities divided by your age. The one I took was set up by my gifted education program in my city. It was pretty professional, I went in and a guy met me, asked me a bunch of questions, I don't think that response time was factored in, though it didn't take long anyways. He asked me a few questions that I don't really remember, then asked me if I could define a list of words(I only knew like 2 of them, they were some weird words) and then asked me to remember this really long paragraph, of which I remembered like 3 words. I remember more what he said before introducing the part of the test than I remember of the paragraph.

Those online tests are jokes though, they don't really test your abilities, besides the fact that there are so many ways to cheat on them. The only real ones would be done by a professional guy.[/url]

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Thu May 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Well, if i consider something important, then i remember it for ages. 8)
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.