Playstation gets a new low (spoilers of ps3!)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon May 08, 2006 8:44 pm

I don't think it would have been too hard for them to have something to cancel out the motion caused by vibration in the controller, since it's pretty consistent and all :|
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Motoman

Post by Motoman » Mon May 08, 2006 8:56 pm

Haha! I have uncovered some more ownage against the PS3! Looky here!:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release ... 0509ae.pdf
No WiFi or Memory stick, and no HDMI for the standard version and what has happened to dual HDMI?

"Living After Midnight"

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Mon May 08, 2006 9:04 pm

Basically nintendo is the roxors, Sony is not! Man that is really pissing me off the only thing that'll make it worse is calling it the piis3 or something like that :evil: Now i'll admit that i'm really nintendo fandboyish sometimes but I was accually looking forward to see if the PS3 had any new guns but of course they don't...*shakes head and walks away to nintendo factory!* EDIT: they basically just shot themselfs in the head thinking they'll be fine which they might or might not but i'm hoping the last one :twisted:

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Watch Sony put the sensing tech in and then never ever use it... Case in point the 2 USB ports on the PS2. Seriously what the heck did they ever use that for besides the Eyetoy and thats bout it.

The only reason the nintendo controller will be amazing is because they are gonna be some great ideas coming from the Nintendo devs. Lets be resonable... Sony never does anything inovative in terms of the fun factor, It's all racing and sports games and shooters with the occational RPG... the only game that was even slightly inovative from Sony was Katamari.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon May 08, 2006 9:34 pm

Sooo, do you guys agree yet? Wii wins?

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:38 pm

I was allways in for the Wii (whos name has grown considerably and the piss jokes have almost gone away) but now even more so. The PS3 controller can just tilt. The Wiimote can tell where it is in space makeing it about 10x better than the PSWii controller almost useless for everything but flight sim games.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Mon May 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Skyone wrote:Sooo, do you guys agree yet? Wii wins?
This calls for celebration!

sweetsuzuki

Post by sweetsuzuki » Mon May 08, 2006 9:44 pm

I like flight sim games... But Sony is in a bit of trouble over this.
I feel the need...
... The Need For Speed!!!

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon May 08, 2006 10:38 pm

Radon199 wrote:I was allways in for the Wii (whos name has grown considerably and the piss jokes have almost gone away) but now even more so. The PS3 controller can just tilt. The Wiimote can tell where it is in space makeing it about 10x better than the PSWii controller almost useless for everything but flight sim games.
Buddy, you have just taken the words right out of my mouth. Some are words I didn't even think of, but the general thought is exactly what I was thinking. Oh yeah, I love that word, "wiimote"... haven't thought of it like that :P
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

MajorLag

Post by MajorLag » Tue May 09, 2006 12:26 am

The worst part about the theft of the idea is that they didn't even do it right. Without the sensors on the TV, the controller cannot sense its position relative to it. This means: can't be used to replace a lightgun, among other things. I also think that having the analog stuck to the 6DOF controller will effectively limit your ability to manuever it.

Didn't one of you fine Benheck forum peoples say something like "How long do you think it will take Sony to copy this idea?" when the Rev controller was first announced? Whoever you are, you get the Nostradamus award.

And then the price... yeesh. I mean, I know I'm a Nintendo fanboy and all, but damn, I mean, even I expected better out of Sony...

Edit: Ah, it was Motoman in this topic.

Edit 2: I think I know why Sony is blundering so badly on this one. The PS3 is a BlueRay player that can play games, not a game console that can play BlueRay. Hell, I vauguely recall the president being asked "Isn't that expensive for a game console?" and replying "But its a steal for a BlueRay player!" sometime near when the price was first hinted at. I mean seriously, how else could you justify selling a system with knocked-off controller features (and no dual shock because of it), with no HDMI, and no memory stick ports, and no WiFi (Even the $300 Wii has WiFi!) for $500? I can't think of any other explaination other than Sony giving an early Christmas present to MS and the big N.
Warrenties were meant to be voided

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Tue May 09, 2006 6:04 am

OH god, sony is AGIAN going to make money on NINTENDOs ideas, copulate sony.
Ken Kuteragi wrote:Those fools, i have the power to counteract the DS 2 screens, a PSP with 2 disc drives, also we stole the supirior Wii controller, why? Couse we touch our selves at night and we are SONY!
Whats next, the PS3 will beable to download old PSone games, and Saturn games?

Me kicking Ken Kutegari in the dick

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 am

I always was a Revolution/Wii fan and didn't like the PS3. That was pretty much fanboyism, but now I have a pretty damn good reason to dislike the PS3.

WIIIII WIIIIN!

:P

Note my new avatar is the the PSX logo/PS2 logo. Both of those consoles are actually quite good, but screw the PS3!
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue May 09, 2006 7:21 am

Watch Sony put the sensing tech in and then never ever use it... Case in point the 2 USB ports on the PS2. Seriously what the heck did they ever use that for besides the Eyetoy and thats bout it.
Actually they used it for the badass steering wheel for Gran Turismo 4. And you can plug a USB printer into it to print images from GT4. Other than that though, I don't know of much else that made use of the USB ports.

Does anybody seriously think that the Wii's (name still cracks me up) controller will change the way we play games? It's another in a long line of gimmicks from Nintendo (Super Scope, ROB, Power Glove, anyone?). The one area I think it will be successful in is making games accessible to those who find the XBOX and Playstation controllers intimidating. I think that will be a good thing as it never hurts to have more gamers in the world.

I think Sony just handed MS a huge gift. At $499 for the lesser model Sony is in trouble, Blu-Ray player or not. A month or two before the PS3's release MS will drop the price of the high-end 360 to $299 and slaughter the PS3 come Christmas. The $200 price difference will be too big to overcome no matter how awesome the games may or may not be.

In some small way, Sony also handed Nintendo a gift in all of this as well as this can only help Nintendo.

The hardcore early adopters will buy a PS3 right away. In my case, I'll wait for that 360 price drop and then jump into the next gen system battle. The only way I would buy a PS3 anywhere near launch is if GT5 comes out and it lives up to it's predecessors sterling reputation.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Tue May 09, 2006 7:26 am

Though motoman did say that about Sony stealing the idea, I was first to say "within one year, sony and Microsoft will have their own ripoffs of ninty's controller," But I never expected it to be the main thing!
Great Scot!

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Tue May 09, 2006 8:47 am

this "stealing" concept is a bit bizzare to me, if everyone is going on about how the wii's controller it going to change the way we play and normal will jsut be left behind then surely this is a conformation that this was a good idea?

no one really cared when sony added the analog pads to the psone after seeing that the N64 had one. If its a good idea then its likely that it will be adopted by most major companies. I mena once the petrol engine was invented companies didnt still keep making steam powered cars did they?

Fanboy's should be happy that one of nintendo's gimmicks has acctually caught on this time rather than being condemed to the the bargin bin

Maybe sony saying it was their idea is a bit rich, but they might have worked on it first just nintendo announced theirs first, you can never say anything for certain

Im completely impartial by the way as i havent picked sides so im just trying to level things out here.