Questions about an Xbox media center

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

psychotic_mechanic
Questions about an Xbox media center

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:35 pm

I was going to buy a DIVX capable DVD player so I could play all of my "homebrew" video on my "please don't die until I want to pay for a decent HD projector" television when I decided this could be a good excuse to get a modchip and open up the old xbox.

Is anyone here running XBMC or using a modded Xbox for video playback?
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

atkafighter

Post by atkafighter » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:46 pm

I do, and you dont have to chip it to do it either. XBMC plays pretty much every file you can think of (including DIXV), and allows you to do many other things (emulation, hombrew games, and pc ports!)
Go here for some good reading about everything XBOX

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:53 pm

im not runnig it right now, but i have in the past, and XBMC is a quality piece of software. i can only imagine it has gotten better.

highly reccomended.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Bigperm

Post by Bigperm » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:02 pm

I have an Xbox in each of my entertainment areas just for XBMC. I have 3 300 GB HDs hooked upto my office computer. 2 HDs for movies, and one for TV and music. Each Xbox via XBMC can stream content from my home network via SMB or just standard workgroup shares. And i have had less issues using XBMC with Divx movies than my old MCE Computer.

The xbox with XBMC is amazing. I used to use my PSP to steam Internet radio to my sterio. But XBMC handles it all now. My house is completely wired for cat 5e though, i havent tried it via wireless.

I highly recomend XBMC for your Divx movies, you will not be disapointed. XBMC is updated weekly and the scripting support is amazing.

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:35 pm

Looks like I'll try the softmodding approach first. Atkafighter, thanks for the link, that's exactly the information I was looking for. Do I install XBMC instead of the dashboards they are talking about or in addition to?

I guess I'm off to ebay for an old copy of Mechaasault. Too bad everyone uses stock photos. Will any non-platinum version work?

I think I may still buy an xbox and do a mod chip install (for a huge HDD) Used japanese xbox's only run like $80 in gaming stores, so that's a pretty cheap initial investment without the possibility of leaving my xbox-less.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:51 pm

First install EvoX (Best dashboard in my opinion) and then FTP to your Xbox and copy the XBMC Folder onto your F Drive (under Games, or you can use E:/Games or E:/Apps)

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Watch out, MOD Chips Fry the system, My freind always gets them and they fry his XBOX.

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

sam

Post by sam » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Sword_Gun wrote:Watch out, MOD Chips Fry the system, My freind always gets them and they fry his XBOX.
Where does he get his mod chips?
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:04 pm

Sword_Gun wrote:Watch out, MOD Chips Fry the system, My freind always gets them and they fry his XBOX.
I don't mean to insult your buddy, but that sounds like installation problems to me.

I like the idea of geting a couple of xboxes to put one at each televiison in the house. I was just thinking yesterday it would be cool to play "Sudeki" in the kitchen while cooking. We won't bring up the subject of emulators...

Anyway, I've already bid on an original Mechassualt on ebay (right now it's at a total of $7.50 with shipping). I already have a memory card, but I do need to add a USB cable end to it so I can transfer files over.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:13 pm

yes, if you have to, use an xbox controller adapter (can be made for free) and plug in your mem card. Make sure you have Action Replay software installed on your PC

PancakeGoblin

Post by PancakeGoblin » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:21 pm

psychotic_mechanic wrote:Looks like I'll try the softmodding approach first. Atkafighter, thanks for the link, that's exactly the information I was looking for. Do I install XBMC instead of the dashboards they are talking about or in addition to?

I guess I'm off to ebay for an old copy of Mechaasault. Too bad everyone uses stock photos. Will any non-platinum version work?

I think I may still buy an xbox and do a mod chip install (for a huge HDD) Used japanese xbox's only run like $80 in gaming stores, so that's a pretty cheap initial investment without the possibility of leaving my xbox-less.
Softmodding is the best thing ever.
Mine runs evox first, then XBMC as an application. You should do that.
Mechassault, its not all non-platinum. Ones that are bundled with systems/xbox live don't work either.

Good luck!

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:20 pm

Your friend is really stupid then.