I'm questioning our existence on this Earth. (Please Read!)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:27 pm

Someone's gonna mess it all up, and it'll get locked. Oh noes.
Oh, and just to make sure to stay on the safe side, I PMed you Gamey, with what I wanted to say (which I just edited away from this post).
Last edited by sniper_spike on Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Gregory House wrote:Good lord, are you having a bowel movement or a baby?

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:31 pm

well, we can follow our moral laws, but it is much more difficult....what we can't do, however, is go to heaven ;)....for that, yes, you would need God.
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:35 pm

Unidentified Assilant wrote:Where do you go? You go six feet under
..."and what do you get another day older and deeper in debt, I'd like to help you but I can't go! I owe my soul to the company store."
:)

Anyway, I've had my both of my grandfathers dies within a years time, so I'd like to believe that there is an "afterlife" where you get to see your relatives and friends. But there's also the possibility that you just dissapear.

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Just earlier you said you "try" to follow God's laws, so really think Gamey, have you accepted Him, have you giving everything to Him? Do you know God, personally?
Last edited by sniper_spike on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:52 pm

Gamelver wrote: and yes, this is discussion of religion and stuff, but as marshallh said, it's intellectual and non-flamey. as long as we don't get into a huge fight (which is why the no religion rule was implemented) it's all right. as soon as one person says something stupid and irrational and another retaliates...this thread will get locked.

good enough for me.

I believe in a solid foundation. I'm not out there to prove anyone wrong. I'm not here to challenge any science or theroems. but remember that a theory is not a fact.

My faith is christian, and if you dont' know, this is what I believe:
There is one god, ruler of earth.
The world was created.
Jesus came bearing the sins of mankind, being the holy son of god.
There is a heaven and a hell, and they're both as real as they're described.
There is only 1 way to heaven.

Again, if you'd like to talk to me, a PM would be great.

However, there some illogical things that you can get rid of, with proof, others with faith. For one example, I'l bring up the topic of miracles.

During his time, jesus christ fulfilled many prophecies, and preformed many miracles. He healed the sick, fed the hungry, and even turned water into wine. But lets say this: (derrived from One heartbeat away" by mark cahill)

"NOW CONSIDER THIS:
jesus christ fulfilled over 300 prophecies in his life. Here's something that can help you appreciate the odds of this happening. If only 8 of those 300 prophecies came true in any one person, it would be comparable to this:
-build a small fence around the state of texas
-Fill it two feet deep in silver dollars
-Paint one of them red
-mix all of them up
-then-starting at the louissana(/texas) boarder-walk blindfolded as far into texas as you want to go
-lean over, still blindfolded
-and pick up the red silver dollar." (page 80)

The book also has many other things, inculding the proof of microevolution, and the disproof of macroevolution, the foundation for people's lives, and many other cool things.

"praise be to the almighty god, who was and is, and is to come!"
Last edited by bioniclebert on Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making XNA Games in C#.

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:54 pm

You have a 50-50 chance, eather when you die nothing happens or you go to heaven/hell. Just think of it this way, If you beleave in god, and it turns out there is nothing, well what did you lose some Sundays worth of crapy cartoons really. But if your wrong, and there is a god and you go to hell, for it, well then your screwed.

Why do you think 90% of people who are going to die in hospital ask for a priest so they can repent their sins? Because if your going to die, why the heck not? If there is no god you lost what? 15 mins of your life, but if there is a god well then your in the good books with him.

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:58 pm

You can't be forgiven of your sins if you have an attitude like that. "Oh, I'm about to die, let's have my sins forgiven right before I die, just in case God exists."

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:59 pm

heh, it's not that easy, though.

It's not like simply believing in God and then repenting real quick whenever is best will get you into heaven. Rather, you're supposed to have a relationship with God and live how he's said to live. so it's more of a life choice, which is why it's not really 50/50.

F

Post by F » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:15 pm

My views? Thanks for asking!

I believe whole-heartedly in the theory of evolution. I believe that all life started on Earth with a complex series of chemical reactions. These primitive life forms eventually evolved into all of the different species that exist today (and those that are already extinct).

Let me also clarify that I do not believe in a God. Science is adequate to explain nearly everything in the history of the universe, and God is not longer necessary. The only murky areas are debates like "Why does anything exist?" Most religious people say that the universe cannot simply exist. I say , then, "How can God simply exist?" If God had a creator, who was His creator? It's an endless loop of Gods creating Gods creating Gods.

So why do we exist? We just do. There is no major purpose of life that every person must strive for. I believe that we should all strive to make the most of our lives, living every minute to the fullest. I also believe that we should be kind to others and make the world a better place for all.

As a result, I do not believe that there is some supernatural moral code that is simply "right." This moral code embedded into our genetics comes from evolution. Think of a primitive society where everybody is at war, with people stealing and beating on each other with no consequences. Now imagine a peaceful society with passive beings who cooperate. Which society has a better chance of surviving, and, subsequently, passing on their genes to a new generation? Obviously, the citizens of the kind community will live longer, happier lives.

Even though I do not believe in a God, I believe that religions in general were founded to bring peace and order out of chaos and destruction. Therefore, religions are a great invention. What better punishment is there to inflict on the violent than eternal suffering in Hell?

I'm not trying to force my views on anybody here, and if this post seems to inflamatory and/or imperative, please feel free to delete it.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm actually Christian, but I have noticed that almost all Jewish people I know are much more intelligent than the average Christian. Please don't take offense to this, I'm just stating an observation.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:23 pm

much more intelligent about their own religion, or just in general?

anyway, who would simply make up the idea of religion just to keep order? it wasn't founded for that reason, it was because of what we felt and experienced. why would people die that was made up (not talking about suicide bombers, but more about martyrs)? you could say that they were tricked into believing, yes, but I can't believe that because how could they have been tricked? if these people are dying for their God or religion, it's because they truly believe themselves that He or their gods are real, and that their religion is worth dying for. It all comes down to a personal decision to embrace God and believe, or to not believe.

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Wait, you're Christian, and you don't believe in God? I'm confused here...

That's the problem with science, though I love it so, it is slowly creating more and more non-believers.
Last edited by sniper_spike on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:27 pm

im sorry, this thread is too smart for me :wink:

official xbox fiend

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:44 pm

yes, this thread is for the wise and experienced ;)....am I any of those two?

eh, I would think so, at least partly, but I cannot say, for sure.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:45 pm

I'm a christain and i'm mormon you know those weirdos that live in utah :P
Anyways when it come to creation and stuff I believe that small evolutional advances like mutations in bacteria and viruses. I believe that if you are good you will go to one of three "stages" of "heaven" Celestial for all the really good people, terestial for the on par people who didn't do drugs and were pretty good and telestial it's basically hell and also eternal darkness which is for people who were extremly bad and never did any good in there lives.

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:02 pm

sniper_spike wrote:You can't be forgiven of your sins if you have an attitude like that. "Oh, I'm about to die, let's have my sins forgiven right before I die, just in case God exists."
I never said I was the one who came up with that, it was on some TV show about the peranormal or something like that.

Theres another saying that is kinda relevent. It's that "Science governs the physical rules of the universe, God governs the moral ones."

This has been a general idea since the middle ages. That Science governes things that we do understand, and faith governs the things we don't.