cheap smt or smd

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Dr.Weasel
cheap smt or smd

Post by Dr.Weasel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:07 am

You have probably all already seen this article on engadget but i thought i would post it up anyways. enjoy.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/07/how- ... ring-iron/

-Hayden
Last edited by Dr.Weasel on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:56 pm

Man do any of you guys ever copulate read those things. A true "hot air pencil" uses a drybox gas such as nitrogen so the contacts on the board will not be corrupted. That will work once or twice, but will end up frying all you prescious surface mount crap.

superdeformed
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by superdeformed » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:12 pm

JackFrost22 wrote:Man do any of you guys ever copulate read those things. A true "hot air pencil" uses a drybox gas such as nitrogen so the contacts on the board will not be corrupted. That will work once or twice, but will end up frying all you prescious surface mount excrement.
What are you talking about? The hot air pencil we have at work (http://www.zeph.com/pencil.html) is pretty much the same thing as the cheap DIY one, it just works much better (still overpriced though). There are no special gasses in it; in fact, it even uses the same kind of pump. Simply heating up a board with hot air to solder/desolder parts will not corrode or otherwise damage the contacts. You would have to have it heated at a very high temperature for a pretty significant amount of time in order to get even the solder to corrode, and at that point the contacts are probably the least of your worries.

Dr.Weasel

Post by Dr.Weasel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:36 pm

Thank you super. "i almoste flamed back there." I'm just trying to spread the info so dont whine that i "dont even read thoughs things". I spend half my day of digg so back off. jeez.
-Hayden

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:00 pm

You know at first I thought the topic title said "cheap smut".

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:40 pm

superdeformed wrote:
JackFrost22 wrote:Man do any of you guys ever copulate read those things. A true "hot air pencil" uses a drybox gas such as nitrogen so the contacts on the board will not be corrupted. That will work once or twice, but will end up frying all you prescious surface mount excrement.
What are you talking about? The hot air pencil we have at work (http://www.zeph.com/pencil.html) is pretty much the same thing as the cheap DIY one, it just works much better (still overpriced though). There are no special gasses in it; in fact, it even uses the same kind of pump. Simply heating up a board with hot air to solder/desolder parts will not corrode or otherwise damage the contacts. You would have to have it heated at a very high temperature for a pretty significant amount of time in order to get even the solder to corrode, and at that point the contacts are probably the least of your worries.
It will corrode them in the long run. I have a station and it pumps nitrogen into the "iron"

superdeformed
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by superdeformed » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:55 pm

From everything I've read, it seems that the only benefit of using nitrogen is that it makes it easier to solder components down, especially lead-free ones. The only thing I saw regarding corrosion/oxidation was that it will slightly limit it during the soldering process, giving you cleaner looking joints (and possibly avoiding bad solder joints with mixed lead-free terminations), but using hot air won't cause it to keep corroding/corrode faster in the long run. Obviously if the air is very damp you might run into trouble, but that's not the kind of environment you should be working on electronics in anyways. In other words, using the cheap DIY setup isn't going to hurt anything if you're just doing hobby work.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:02 pm

You make a point. Nevermind me. Man was I owned :oops: