Taking apart a Sharp Wizard (With pics!!!)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

blackbox_dev
Taking apart a Sharp Wizard (With pics!!!)

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:54 pm

OK, so I was bored, and needed something to do. I look over at my Sharp Wizard OZ-290H pda that I got from a liquidation place. "Hmmm, that's probably the only thing I havn't taken apart" I think to myself. So I take it down stairs and get the camera and two size screwdrivers and get at it. I took pictures so that I could post it up here.

Alright, let's get down to business:

----

Here is the original unit (note the battery cover already off):

And the back (with the battery cover on):

After I removed the screws the PDA wouldn't come apart at all! Luckily their were some big holes on the side that the battery cover "covers" :) . These let me stick in a flat blade screwdriver and pry it. Their were quite a few clips holding it together. Anyways, here is the front side of the board with the LCD:

And the back of the board (note the wires that attach to the little beeping speaker:

This is all I have done with it so far. I havn't removed the LCD yet because I fear I will tear the two ribbon cables (yes their are two! one of them you can't really see in the photo and is on the top of the board and the other is covered in that blue tape that you see. I think one is for the LCD and one is for power and the backlight, but that's just a guess)

Also, when I took it apart a little piece fell out and I don't know what it is. The PDA functions without it though. Maybe someone can tell me where it goes?

That's all for now! I think ocassionaly I will post threads like this about taking stuff apart because I do it so often.
Last edited by blackbox_dev on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:57 pm

So what's the point of this?

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Yea, the Wizard was a piece of crap man... :roll:
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:00 pm

as I said, I was bored. I just thought somebody might be interested.
also, does anybody have any good ideas I could hack into this thing?
Last edited by blackbox_dev on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:08 pm

Just paste the links without the IIMG tags. You're trying to post URLs that go to web pages as images. What you want to do is copy either the "Direct Link to Image" URL or the "Thumbnail for forums (1) string. For the direct to image URL, put it in the image tags. For the thumbnail, just paste the string as-is without tags and it will work.

I edited your post to fix all the links to be URLs. You'll have to re-upload the images (or re-generate the code for them if you have an ImageShack account) again to get the right code.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:11 pm

bicostp wrote:Just paste the links without the IIMG tags. You're trying to post URLs that go to web pages as images. What you want to do is copy either the "Direct Link to Image" URL or the "Thumbnail for forums (1) string. For the direct to image URL, put it in the image tags. For the thumbnail, just paste the string as-is without tags and it will work.

I edited your post to fix all the links to be URLs. You'll have to re-upload the images (or re-generate the code for them if you have an ImageShack account) again to get the right code.
OK thanks, I rehosted all the images using thumbnail for forums (1).

Nicholai

Post by Nicholai » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:12 pm

Ok so you've taken it apart and possibly ruined it: now what?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:18 pm

No, it still works, I put it back in the case and everything minus that one piece that fell out.

So, i'm still asking. Does anybody have any ideas on what to hack this into?

Oh, and if anyone was wondering why I would do this and you think it cost me a lot? Well to let you know I got it for $19 CAD refurbished at a liquidation store.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:23 pm

There's one chip on the PCB that isn't a glop top, it looks like a flash ram chip. So, theoretically you could build yourself a flash ram reader and dump the contents of the said memory.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:31 pm

hmmm, that's not a bad idea. too bad desoldering and soldering surface mount chips isn't something im good at :( nor is building a flash chip reader :wink:

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:38 pm

The thing that fell out looks like some kinda switch.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:46 pm

yeah that's what I thought but it's weird because all the buttons including the reset button on the back still work flawlessly.

collingall2005

Post by collingall2005 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:27 pm

Then it is just a magical piece of plastic that came out of thin air, or some stupid excrament like that, if the pda works without it it must not be that important so toss it or throw it in a junk drawer :roll: .
Wan na na na!

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:12 pm

iam7805 wrote:Well to let you know I got it for $19 CAD refurbished at a liquidation store.
Did you miss the sign that said Palm III's were $15 and Palm IV's were $23? *slaps*
PS360Wii Fanboy FTW!

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:02 am

ow, that hurt! well, I guess I did. it doesn't matter to me though, my dad ended up paying for it :D

and actually I coudln't be happier with it considering the only thing I use it for now is keeping phone numbers (and taking it apart :) )