Katrina

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bioniclebert
!

Post by bioniclebert » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Yup, I dont like how people like to waste resources when they have fixes, just so they can get money.
Gas here is around 4$ a gallon, yet the driving for most people is still at normal rate. I cant understand how this is not exploding yet. I remember when the gas first hit 2$, and we were like "oh man! gas is getting expensive!'
Making XNA Games in C#.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:58 pm

90% of places are $2.99, but I've heard of a few places at $2.79, up to $3.39. At first I wasn't upset over this jump (though I'm pissed of from when it went from ~$1.70 to ~$2, and even moreso when it went up to $2.70 before the hurricane itself) but today I read in the paper that the majority of our oil is coming in from Canada up in the MN area, and we shouldn't be getting these kind of price jumps.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:18 pm

goodie wrote:I heard that scientists figured out how to make their own oil out of dead animal carcasses or something. If that's so, then they need to start making it. There's no reason we have to rely on the oil inside the earth, when we can make our own. Also, more research needs to be put into alternative fuels. Gasoline isn't the only fuel, after all.
Yeah they do have a method. They put garbage that would be in landfills and put it in under extreme pressure and heat. Presto in a few months to years (depending how effectient it is) we'd have some crude to refine.

But I still hold my hopes on fuel cells. The only thing keeping a low cost fuel cell car from being released is again the semipermiable membrain (like the anode). At present the best is platnium and thats too rare a metal and expencive to mass produce.

Also for all you saying your suffering. I've seen prices around here averaging $3.35 a gallon. Right now it doesnt pay to be the motor city.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:52 pm

goodie wrote:I heard that scientists figured out how to make their own oil out of dead animal carcasses or something. If that's so, then they need to start making it. There's no reason we have to rely on the oil inside the earth, when we can make our own. Also, more research needs to be put into alternative fuels. Gasoline isn't the only fuel, after all.
while that would be nice, it would be impossible to keep up with demand using animal carcasses, and there is no way you'd be able to do that with animal rights activists.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:56 pm

What about the landfils? Kill two laden african swallows with one stone...
-Luke

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:46 pm

Buy a Hybrid car.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:49 pm

vb_master wrote:Buy a Hybrid car.
You don't know how much I want to do that. The problem is, I can barely pay for gas, let alone a new car. :(
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:51 pm

<b>Trade in the SUVs!

Buy a 4-cylinder car</b> (I get nearly 40 mpg city mileage. :mrgreen: ;)

<b>Ride a motorcycle/moped/Vespa/scooter</b> My dad's '74 Honda 360cc gets well over 50 mpg.

Just my 2 cents.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:54 pm

bicostp wrote:<b>Trade in the SUVs!

Buy a 4-cylinder car</b> (I get nearly 40 mpg city mileage. :mrgreen: ;)

<b>Ride a motorcycle/moped/Vespa/scooter</b> My dad's '74 Honda 360cc gets well over 50 mpg.

Just my 2 cents.
I'd like to do that, too. Problem is, my Jeep is 20 years old, and worth about $1,400. It's kinda hard to get a decent sedan without any major issues (running problems, high milage) at that price, not to mention the fact that SUV's are a bit cheaper with low demand from high gas prices :(

Edit: oh, and Minnesota winters aren't nice to mopeds
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

xriverfalconx

Post by xriverfalconx » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:30 am

Well, I have a pretty good feeling that things will get better. Right now it's tough, but if you think about it, our country has always gone through some tough times, and in the end, we made it through.

As the saying goes, "What comes around, goes around!" Overseas, they want to jack up prices...fine. In the end, it'll hit them hard and I'm telling you now, I think we'll find some oil in our own country that'll last us a long time too.

For now, stick it out, but keep your head high. Don't let something like this pull you down...we'll make it through again!!!

mikm240

Post by mikm240 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:54 am

mhmm you forget our country wont hit anyone hard, we should start forcing to get oil ,the world isnt running low on oil. countries in OPEC and differnt oil companies are jacking up prices. but government is to soft they worry about of countries to much, were gana need to take the oil we cant use the reserves those are for the army and in the boston area atleast u cant get gas for under 3.75. and with huricane katrina i bet some of the reason the federal government "failed" new orleans is because we did spend a lot of money helping people over seas with the tsunami. o well

p.s theres plenty of oil in america its all under major cities

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:06 am

I live in England... no worries :D

Sorry to all those in New Orleans, I think everynbody feels strongly about what happened, just like the London Bombings, and 9/11... Terrorism and Natural Disasters suck :(

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

Shadeslayer

Post by Shadeslayer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:07 am

Over here in Peru IN which is a tiny place gas is at $2.99 and over in Fortwayn which is a BIG place its $2.85 and thats crap. Im telling you that the cant charge people in tiny towns more then in freaken big citys!!!! IM SO GLAD THAT IM IN A SMALL TOWN SO I CAN RIDE MY BIKE EVERYWHERE!!!! Well im good sence i got that off my chest (whew)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:36 pm

The problem isn't in getting crude oil. No, we can get crude oil with little touble, thanks to Bush's friends in Halliburton. The problem is in <i>refining</i> it.

There were several refineries in the deep south, but they were either wiped out or shut down during the storm.

Prices will drop again once the refineries are operational again.

/me hugs car with full tank and great mileage, then hugs bicycle that gets 5 miles-per-grinder.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:38 pm

mikm240 wrote: and with huricane katrina i bet some of the reason the federal government "failed" new orleans is because we did spend a lot of money helping people over seas with the tsunami. o well

p.s theres plenty of oil in america its all under major cities
First off there was a 10.5 billion dollar releaf fund put into congrass to pass to help the people in New Orleans, Mississippi, Alabama and Kentuky. Also the leader of the orginization or branch whatever you want to call it that is incharge of organizing order there and making run smooth will likely get fired.
The Tsunami has nothing to do with this. Hell most people didnt expect the leves to break, they did and the only people you can blame are buracrates. The damn stome was a cat.4 (high) and those leves were only desiged for a 3 at best. So blame the people that didnt want to upgrade the leves.

Now we have oil and it for sure as hell not under the major cities. We have a oil field that is speculated to be able to supply the U.S. with enough oil for the whole country for 25 years. However we havent tapped it really as the Enviormantalist think that those thousands of acres need to be protected from that, and so you know thats and area bigger then texas up there.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.